PDA

View Full Version : SRS Fault and Part Number, please

Helm525Im
03-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Gentlemen:
I have a "squeaky" steering wheel and the SRS fault light on. This has been for some time. I've been able to reset the fault several times but it is back now. The mechanic thinks it a defective "Loop Contact Ring" assembly, sometime referred as "Clock spring" in the steering wheel. It maintains electrical contact as the steering wheel rotates.
Would anyone have a part number for this on a 91 525i manual built in Dec 90, please. Where would you recommend I purchase this unit. The Dealer priced it at about C$587.50 and I wet myself!
Are there any other posible fixes? Could it just be a loose wire that has to be soldered?
Your help would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Helm

Bill R.
03-19-2004, 03:30 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/clockspring1.jpg
Only the dealer has them but you might try BMA or Bruno, maybe they can get a better discount...

Gentlemen:
I have a "squeaky" steering wheel and the SRS fault light on. This has been for some time. I've been able to reset the fault several times but it is back now. The mechanic thinks it a defective "Loop Contact Ring" assembly, sometime referred as "Clock spring" in the steering wheel. It maintains electrical contact as the steering wheel rotates.
Would anyone have a part number for this on a 91 525i manual built in Dec 90, please. Where would you recommend I purchase this unit. The Dealer priced it at about C$587.50 and I wet myself!
Are there any other posible fixes? Could it just be a loose wire that has to be soldered?
Your help would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Helm

Unregistered
03-19-2004, 03:41 PM
If you have not been to the stealer with this yet, there is a repair bulletin on some part of the airbag, maybe your troublesome part. I took my car in when I first got it and they repaired four items under some bulletins for free, including the radiator cap and something under the dash for the SRS. Of course, I had to pay$$ for the control arm bushings but I'm satisfied overall with that visit. Good luck,

Paul

Helm525Im
03-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Thankyou BillR.