PDA

View Full Version : DIY Valve Adjustment: good or bad idea?

Jay 535i
03-17-2006, 03:49 PM
I was thinking about tackling a valve adjustment on my own, on my M30 motor. The Bentley manual makes it seem pretty straightforward. I'm not too handy or experienced, and I really don't want to end up in a situation where I've screwed things up and have to tow the car to an expert to undo my screwups.

Is trying this job on my own a good idea?

Andrem5
03-17-2006, 03:58 PM
I was thinking about tackling a valve adjustment on my own, on my M30 motor. The Bentley manual makes it seem pretty straightforward. I'm not too handy or experienced, and I really don't want to end up in a situation where I've screwed things up and have to tow the car to an expert to undo my screwups.

No offense intended but it looks like you are going to install a flywheel on your car but are unsure you can handle a valve adjustment. Strange.

You won't get it right the first time and it will take some fiddling back and forth, but I'd say do the valves cuz it's not too hard and it gives you a real bond with your car.;)

632 Regal
03-17-2006, 05:38 PM
practice makes perfect! Follow the manuals directions and triple check them all before you put the cover back on. Make sure you use the correct thickness gage (mm vs US)

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
03-17-2006, 05:50 PM
No offense intended but it looks like you are going to install a flywheel on your car but are unsure you can handle a valve adjustment. Strange.

You won't get it right the first time and it will take some fiddling back and forth, but I'd say do the valves cuz it's not too hard and it gives you a real bond with your car.;)

Yeah, toughest part is finding just how much pressure to put on the wire you use to pre-tension the eccentric against the feeler gauge. After a few trial efforts it will be a snap.

(another multi-poster from Yahoo...)

Andrem5
03-17-2006, 05:52 PM
(another escapee from Yahoo...)
Hi, Anthony.

GS535i
03-17-2006, 05:57 PM
It is a good job to do .... and it will take some time to get it right, but the M30 really benefits from valves that are smack on.
Aside from the technique required as described here in the archives or in Bently, there is a 'feel' that will be developed in doing this correctly: once all twelve valves are done, start over again - it is likely that you will find one or more too tight, or loose. In correcting this, at some point you will intuitively know when it is correct ..... you have aquired the elusive 'feel' - a skill you will never loose.

Safety wire the banjo bolts securing the top oiler .... too

zhandax
03-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Here is a trick I used on the e28 M20. The spec gap was .010. I used a .012 feeler and cranked them down tight. NOT ALWAYS but usually, when I got the .012 out and checked it with the .010, it was dead on. There are always the one or two that do not cooperate. These are the ones you use to develop your technique.

athflying79
03-17-2006, 09:29 PM
It is a good job to do .... and it will take some time to get it right, but the M30 really benefits from valves that are smack on.
Aside from the technique required as described here in the archives or in Bently, there is a 'feel' that will be developed in doing this correctly: once all twelve valves are done, start over again - it is likely that you will find one or more too tight, or loose. In correcting this, at some point you will intuitively know when it is correct ..... you have aquired the elusive 'feel' - a skill you will never loose.

Safety wire the banjo bolts securing the top oiler .... too

I ordered the newer style banjo bolts from BMA mentioned on Bruno's site. Do you guys still safety wire these?? Anyone install them and have them back out.

Alexlind123
03-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Here is a trick I used on the e28 M20. The spec gap was .010. I used a .012 feeler and cranked them down tight. NOT ALWAYS but usually, when I got the .012 out and checked it with the .010, it was dead on. There are always the one or two that do not cooperate. These are the ones you use to develop your technique.

I did the same thing with mine except i tightened it down on one size larger not two, and that worked veyr well.

ajt3nc
03-18-2006, 01:52 AM
The worst that will happen , WITH A BIT OF CARE , is they will be noisey( if tight) or your car will idle like crap . Fairly easy.

Sweet535i
03-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Did mine with a buddy helping and also installed the banjo bolts with safety wires at the same time. Took about two hours. If I can do it...anyone can!! Go for it!

Steve

Jay 535i
03-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks everyone.

Can someone please explain more to me about these "banjo bolts" and what to do with them?

To Mike A, I won't be the one installing that flywheel. I have Bruno do most of the work on my car, but I'm trying to do more myself and the valve adjustment seemed like a good job for me to try. Especially considering I only have 12 valves, it seemed a reasonable undertaking. Glad I don't have 48 :)

Are there any special instructions to installing a new cam cover gasket, or does it just go on? I've never done this before.

How often should spark plugs get changed? Mine are about 30,000km old. Should I put in new ones while I'm at it?

Oh, lastly, the Bentley manual says there's a special wire tool for adjusting the eccentrics, but that I can improvise my own. Will a wire hanger do the job, or will that be too think? How 'bout a small allen key? Edit: D'oh, nevermind. Just saw this on Bruno's site under "procedure": Piece of metal wire hanger, allen wrench or valve adjusting tool.

zhandax
03-18-2006, 03:08 PM
I just noticed that no one has mentioned this...let the car sit overnight before you start. For your first time there is no point in making it more difficult by having to compensate for the engine being warm. I have been told that it must be done dead cold, but I see there are adustment specs for a warm engine.

For the eccentric tool, I always used an allen wrench. I forget if it takes 4 or 5mm.

Kalevera
03-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Yes, because even the thread locker isn't enough to prevent the bolts from backing out.

I wouldn't worry about, however, if you plan on pulling the valve cover once every 10k.

best, whit

Sweet535i
03-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Banjo bolts: Per Gale's website, a good one...

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_2.htm

Bimminator
03-19-2006, 12:25 AM

Hey Jay, I've been meaning to say "how's it hanging?" for a while now, I'm located in Barrie, have dealt with Bruno for a few of my repairs as well. I am also planning on doing a valve adjustment to my car this spring and have been doing some research to prepare for it. I'm not a mechanic by anymeans but depending on when you are planning on doing the adjustment, I would be willing to lend a hand. I'm pretty busy until the end of May or so, but after that should be good. I'll private message you sometime, wouldn't mind comparing issues and repairs with you some time.

Cheers, Shawn

Jay 535i
03-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Hey Jay, I've been meaning to say "how's it hanging?" for a while now, I'm located in Barrie, have dealt with Bruno for a few of my repairs as well. I am also planning on doing a valve adjustment to my car this spring and have been doing some research to prepare for it. I'm not a mechanic by anymeans but depending on when you are planning on doing the adjustment, I would be willing to lend a hand. I'm pretty busy until the end of May or so, but after that should be good. I'll private message you sometime, wouldn't mind comparing issues and repairs with you some time.

Cheers, Shawn

Hi Shawn,

I'd love to chat sometime and compare war stories, but I can't wait until May to do the valve adjustment. I think I'll tackle it in the next week or two. I want to get all these little things out of the way before May, because that's when Bruno's going to do my transmission swap. :D