PDA

View Full Version : Fun times with a toyota v6 this morning

Bill R.
03-17-2006, 02:54 PM
I had to replace some cam and crank seals on a toyota camry v6 with 220k miles on it and the cam gears have never been off.. Torque is supposed to be 65ft. lbs... I ended up having to make this tool up to hold the gear and then use this extension on a craftsmen 1/2 ratchet to get it loose... broke 2 craftsmen ratchets in the process, well over 350 ft.lbs

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/Camholder1.jpg
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/camholder2.jpg
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/camholder3.jpg

Kobe Diesel
03-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Thank goodness for the lifetime guarantee on the craftsman tools.
Is the Toyota your car? if so, any significant work that it needed over the years? reliability?

Need to replace leaking camshaft seal on Audi, not looking forward to doing it.

Bill R.
03-17-2006, 03:03 PM
most part with the exception of the power steering leaks that develop when they get old. But still very reliable overall. Robert K, is now having some leak problems with his 97 camry v6

Thank goodness for the lifetime guarantee on the craftsman tools.
Is the Toyota your car? if so, any significant work that it needed over the years? reliability?

Need to replace leaking camshaft seal on Audi, not looking forward to doing it.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
03-17-2006, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=Bill R.]I had to replace some cam and crank seals on a toyota camry v6 with 220k miles on it and the cam gears have never been off.. Torque is supposed to be 65ft. lbs...QUOTE]

Were you tempted to use the blue tipped wrench? Surprising the bolt head didn't shear off.

Bill R.
03-17-2006, 03:08 PM
cam closest to the firewall, ie. no room to work with the blue tip wrench.
I'm very suprised that the bolt didn't shear either... I kept waiting for the cam to snap. The owner was right there and he gave me the go ahead though since it had to be done.

[quote=Bill R.]I had to replace some cam and crank seals on a toyota camry v6 with 220k miles on it and the cam gears have never been off.. Torque is supposed to be 65ft. lbs...QUOTE]

Were you tempted to use the blue tipped wrench? Surprising the bolt head didn't shear off.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-17-2006, 03:15 PM
When I did the timing belt & water pump on a V6 Caravan.

It's a Y shaped deal out of angle iron that can scissor to fit any pulley, with two bolts at the tips of the Y arms to hold the pulley.

But I seen guys with pneumatic impact wrenches just hold the pulley with one hand while shooting it off with the wrench.

Rustam
03-17-2006, 03:18 PM
cam closest to the firewall, ie. no room to work with the blue tip wrench.
I'm very suprised that the bolt didn't shear either... I kept waiting for the cam to snap. The owner was right there and he gave me the go ahead though since it had to be done.

[quote=Anthony (M5 in Calgary)]

Are you sure the thread is not reversed?

Bill R.
03-17-2006, 03:20 PM
the thread is not reversed... that and the fact that its now off the car.

[quote=Bill R.]cam closest to the firewall, ie. no room to work with the blue tip wrench.

Are you sure the thread is not reversed?

Robert K
03-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Bill,

Just made the appointment for our Camry for next Wednesday to have the steering rack replaced. I'll tackle about anything on a car, but just decided to let a indy friend of mine take care of it. The rack is leaking like a sieve now, so it's time. Thanks for all the advice and diagrams. It really helps to see what's there before you get into it.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i