PDA

View Full Version : Removing front seats - simple question

BigKriss
03-17-2006, 03:41 AM
Page 520-1 in the bently manual outlines removing the front seats. Does having electric seats make any difference?

I asked about this a while ago but didn't recieve a response. (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12917&highlight=leatherique)

wingman
03-17-2006, 03:56 AM
Page 520-1 in the bently manual outlines removing the front seats. Does having electric seats make any difference?

I asked about this a while ago but didn't recieve a response. (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12917&highlight=leatherique)

Spitballing here mate but is there just a simple connector to the power source? No doubt you've checked. You'll be interested to here that I have begun to do my own services. Just too pricey for what are realy simple jobs. I just can't justify paying someone else for doing jobs I can do for nothing. Looking forward to catching up in Terrigal!

Bill R.
03-17-2006, 08:14 AM
I've never removed a manual e34 seat since they are all electric here. But the procedure is simple. Run the seat height control all the way up, then run the seat back far enough to get at the 2 front torx bolts, remove those bolts then run the seat forward enough to get at the 2 rear torx bolts fromt the back seat. Remove the clip and cable that goes to the seat belt height adjuster and then push the front of the seat forward towards the dash until you unhook the hooks that the front of the seat clips into, then push on the backrest of the seat back towards the rear seat so it tips up and raises the front of the seat up so you can see under it. Remove all the electrical connections and then lift the seat out. Sometimes it helps to fold the backrest of the seat all the way forward disconnecting the power since it makes it easier to fit the seat through the door opening Here;s a crappy pic of the front of the seat tilted up and the hooks visible on the floorhttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/750ilseathooks.jpg

Phil Sanderson
03-17-2006, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE=BigKriss]Page 520-1 in the bently manual outlines removing the front seats. Does having electric seats make any difference?QUOTE]
...as the Bentley says, just remove the 2 rear rail bolts, the seat belt height adjuster, the seat belt (if you need to) and then unclip the electrical connectors under the seat. I needed help to remove the seat from the front floor hooks - 1 person to lift seat at the rear and me lifting the seat over the hooks. We were doing the seat twist fix and didn't remove the seatbelt from the seat - the seat just sat on the ground outside the door.

regards
Phil

BigKriss
03-17-2006, 08:40 AM
okay thankyou very much gentleman. I was thinking becasue they are electric that the motor or something else would get in the way with the railings - basically fearing the worst.

I wanted to know for when I redo the leather on the seats. As much as you like Colorplus Bill, I think I will go with leatherique, there is a supplier in australia, but I think that I will still order though the US supplier and get BMA to ship them with other goods. You can order kits though leatherique and pay via paypal that comes out a lot cheaper than getting it locally.

dternst
03-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Disconnect the battery before removing the seats.

bahnstormer
03-17-2006, 10:56 AM
why discon the battery?
i disagree

leave it connected

Bill R.
03-17-2006, 11:18 AM
passenger side airbag with a seat sensor thats part of the airbag circuit. On Kriss's car there is no passenger airbag so you don't need to disconnect the battery.

why discon the battery?
i disagree

leave it connected

bahnstormer
03-17-2006, 11:25 AM
ah yes excellent point
i forgot that some of us here have much much newer cars =]
heheh

its the same but different =]