PDA

View Full Version : scary security problem

beamerman5
03-17-2006, 01:13 AM
The other day, my car got broken into and the moron tore apart the glove box door in pieces. However, no windows were broken and locks were fine, when I got to the car I realized it was unlocked. I couldn't believe I left the door unlocked becuase I remember locking it...anyway this morning when I got to my car, the doors were unlocked AGAIN! Now at that point I was thinkin I'm going crazy.

Well, I was waiting to pick someone up today, and the engine was off but I had the radio going...All of the sudden after 10 minutes of being off, the car locks lock, and I know I didn't push a button. Then 5 minutes later they lock again, all by themselves. Then about 30 seconds later the locks are going up and down like crazy-as if someone I was pushing the unlock and lock button as fast as I could. This happened at 3 totally different locations today, so something is wrong with the car. (At least I'm not going crazy :p )

I am officially scared and I cannot trust it to be parked in public when I am not supervising it. What could be the problem here be? What should I replace first?

Thanks in advance..

wingman
03-17-2006, 04:23 AM
A few things friend:
1. Apparently you can't call yourself 'beamerman' because 'beemer' is a bike and 'bimmer' is a car. WALOBS!
2. You should be really proud to own such a great car at such a young age.
3. What kind of security system have you got installed? Is it factory or after market?

genphreak
03-17-2006, 06:09 AM
1. bootlid wiring harness; requires cleaning out the boot, getting a sore back: You have to lie on it to look up and work under the rear parcel shelf where the wires may have worn through their insulation. If your boot shocks are dead its a good time to replace them too- stops the boot closing on you (you won't be able to get out). You need some solder, an iron, strippers and pvc tape, monkey hands and a torch. Try to avoid dripping hot solder or bits of copper wire in your eye ;)

2. Drivers microswitch; Might need replacement.

3. Check your battery is charging ok, alternator belt and battery just in case the shorts (if you have them at the end of the the bootlid wiring harness) have worn it down. :) Nick

beamerman5
03-17-2006, 09:27 AM
ah ok thanks genphreak ill check it out this weekend...

and wingman: yes i am very proud of my car, u have no idea...and I knew about the spelling but I guess I just like to be different :D ...my grandfather installed the security system after he bought it, so its not originally from the factory. I can double check with my dad about what kind he used...

632 Regal
03-17-2006, 10:11 AM
I would disable the security system until you figure whats going haywire, just unplug it.

zygoteer
03-17-2006, 04:56 PM
This may not be the cause of your problem, but it happened to me :
I sat down inside my garage when my car was out in the driveway and it locked itself - then it unlocked and repeated that as i got up to see why .. turned out the remote was in my pocket and my other keys were pressing the button on and off as I moved in the chair.

Paul in NZ
03-17-2006, 04:59 PM
yes i am very proud of my car, u have no idea

Actually I think most of us have a very good idea!!!