PDA

View Full Version : Glove box handle falls off when locked

NitrousO
03-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Whenever I lock my glove box on my 1995 525i, it falls off. Unscrewing the assembly, I found that there was some sort of missing clip. The handle itself does not seem to be connected to the little metal piece with the two screw holes I saw someone once refer to it as a circlip but I am unable to find it anywhere. Websites list the whole assembly (the part outside the glovebox) as one part. So is there some where I can get this clip or something.

shogun
03-17-2006, 01:31 AM
Try to complete your personal data under your name, such as sedan/toruing, engine, built month/year and so on as the others have too. It is difficult to answer questions if there are no details available. Sometimes even one month difference in production year is very important to tell you details.
If you do not know the exact data, go to my website below and look for the VIN decoder and just type in the VIN and you will have the exacy engine type, production month/year, automatic transmission or manual type and all the details which are important.

Back to your question: can you find the part here which is missing?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HC23&mospid=47402&btnr=51_1056&hg=51&fg=30

NitrousO
03-17-2006, 02:27 AM
Its on that sheet listed as 2 on that chart or part 51161946513. Inside the handle, part listed as 2 in the schematic, is the mecanhism that is missing the clip. Judging by the fact that the whole assembly is listed as on part, Im going to guess I need a new handle :(

shogun
03-17-2006, 02:33 AM
If it is the same as on the E32, you can disassemble that part. Already some time ago so I do not remember the details. But I think I could disassemble that part and fix it again. And often the spring gets lost so that the handle hangs down somehow.
I lost that spring and made one by myself out of spring steel, very easy.

NitrousO
03-17-2006, 02:40 AM
That just hit me like a ton of bricks. I never though of just making a replacement part clip. :D Ill have to try it. You said it was a sping though? Thought it was some kind of clip but I will have to see if I can make one anyways.