PDA

View Full Version : Damn. Don't ever say "geez, the ol' gal's been running sweet for ages now..."

Marshy
03-16-2006, 03:11 PM
...because that'll cause something to break. Lots.

In my case, it'll be the expensive bit of the hydraulically assisted brakes (it's a 540i). I'm told it's the servo. And you know you're in the s**t when BMW say "we haven't seen one of those break before" as that means, in this case, 646 UK pounds (call it an even $1000) worth of heavy item to be delivered from Germany.

Needless to say, if they break that rarely, I'll be hunting one down from a dismantler first.

Has anyone had experience of these servos failing (it's leakinghydraulic fluid out faster that it can be filled up), and do you know if it can be repaired rather than just replaced?

Oh and the weepy power steering hose I also have is a one-hundred-and-twenty UK pound item. For a hose. Egads.

Guess I know where the money from the closure of my old freelancing business is going then... :(

Bimmerman
03-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Oh and the weepy power steering hose I also have is a one-hundred-and-twenty UK pound item. For a hose. Egads.:(
Be sure to check out BMA before handing over them hard earned beer-tokens dude, heaps cheaper than $tealer prices...

rob101
03-16-2006, 04:14 PM
Be sure to check out BMA before handing over them hard earned beer-tokens dude, heaps cheaper than $tealer prices...
queensland plates? where are you hiding bimmerman?

Bill R.
03-16-2006, 04:31 PM
think it was right around 230 USD for a zf factory rebuilt unit, I'm assuming that this is what your talking about. This is the hydroboost unit for a 1993 540 with righthand drive for the ece market. It helps if you post where your from since the cars vary according to countryhttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/hydroboost.jpg

quote=Marshy]...because that'll cause something to break. Lots.

In my case, it'll be the expensive bit of the hydraulically assisted brakes (it's a 540i). I'm told it's the servo. And you know you're in the s**t when BMW say "we haven't seen one of those break before" as that means, in this case, 646 UK pounds (call it an even $1000) worth of heavy item to be delivered from Germany.

Needless to say, if they break that rarely, I'll be hunting one down from a dismantler first.

Has anyone had experience of these servos failing (it's leakinghydraulic fluid out faster that it can be filled up), and do you know if it can be repaired rather than just replaced?

Oh and the weepy power steering hose I also have is a one-hundred-and-twenty UK pound item. For a hose. Egads.

Guess I know where the money from the closure of my old freelancing business is going then... :([/quote]

kyleN20
03-16-2006, 04:32 PM
i always tell myself its running like **** and the damn thing will never die

Marshy
03-16-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm in the UK - I keep forgetting to put that in my profile...
And many thanks, Bill, for digging out that diagram and part number. I was lacking that detail until now, and (once I've spoken to the dealer that looked at it briefly) I'll be able to confirm if that's the part and make sure I get the right thing elsewhere...

Cheers all.

Bimmerman
03-16-2006, 05:19 PM
queensland plates? where are you hiding bimmerman?
South west Sydney (did somebody say "macquarie field riots?":) ) from Brisbane originally, posted here for another year courtesy of the army:(

rob101
03-16-2006, 05:26 PM
South west Sydney (did somebody say "macquarie field riots?":) ) from Brisbane originally, posted here for another year courtesy of the army:(
I just noticed you have a 1992 M50TU is the build date after 9/92 mine's a 1992 M50 no vanos though (i think)

Bimmerman
03-16-2006, 06:18 PM
It has vanos, built 9/92, however the consensus after the last sydney meet was it didn't make much difference if you had it or not

ArtemLepilov
03-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Does anyone know how to get a hold of the BMW TIS in english? I had a russian one but its non-compliant with my windows version.... so all i see is gibberish and question marks. (sorry for stealing the thread kind of but i keep seeing the TIS and I want to get a hold of one...) PM me if you know where to get it.

-Artem

zmuff
03-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Artem, I PM'ed you.
zmuff

632 Regal
03-17-2006, 12:49 PM
are you talking about the vacum assist unit?

Kobe Diesel
03-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Artem, you can by a TIS and ETK on ebay for $15, type in "BMW etk tis".

On the ships, we never ever mention "how well it's been running", just "how shitty it's been running". There's enough work to do with only 4 engrs., don't need another item for the list.

Marshy
04-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Update: found the part I need (it's the one pictured on page 1 of this thread) from a breaker's yard for about £130 delivered. I'm now about to find out how good my local garage is in terms of fitting the thing.

Thanks for the input folks.