PDA

View Full Version : The Turbonator (say it loud with the movie voice)

sKilled
03-16-2006, 06:08 AM
http://www.turbonator.com/index.html?id=adWordsBMW

What do you think? Hit or S$@*?

diamond777
03-16-2006, 07:10 AM
i believe if you get two of them you are in even better shape - maybe 40 mpg and over 300 horsepower:p :p :p

onewhippedpuppy
03-16-2006, 09:06 AM
"I purchased two Turbonators for my Chrysler Sebring and immediately noticed the increase in power. It was more than I expected. I am already noticing the improved gas mileage. I like them so much, I am ordering two more for my brothers. Now, it feels like my car has a turbo charger."

What about like ten of them in series?;)

dacoyote
03-16-2006, 09:09 AM
http://www.mye34.org/images/jeff/homer_search.jpg

Scott H
03-16-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm interested

David Shealey
03-16-2006, 11:04 AM

Absolutely, positively, total garbage. There have been MANY variations of this snake oil over the decades, none do anything, other than add restriction to the intake tract.

They state that it adds swirling action in the combustion chamber. HA! Like the swirling action imposed on the air entering the main intake will maintain that through the throttle body, intake manifold, valves, etc. The throttle body itself, with the throttle butterfly in the air stream, will mostly straighten out most of that, if it even makes it that far.

Surprised there are any snakes left on the planet, with so many of them being squeezed for their oil. 8>)

Scott H
03-16-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm pretty sure the swirl effect maintains all the way through the car and out the exhaust, despite the combustion process.

Think of it like a toilet. I'm pretty sure my turd swirls all the way through the flush, from the bowl through the flange and down through my home plumbing all the way until it hits the sewer or ejector pit. A pretty efficient flush at only 1 gallon per flush. That efficiency is achieved by the swirling action.

They state that it adds swirling action in the combustion chamber. HA! Like the swirling action imposed on the air entering the main intake will maintain that through the throttle body, intake manifold, valves, etc. The throttle body itself, with the throttle butterfly in the air stream, will mostly straighten out most of that, if it even makes it that far.

ArtemLepilov
03-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Now, ok - think about it rationally. What does it do? Create a vortex of air? ok good, so you got a vortex of air in the intake tube. What happens after it gets to the intake - it splits the air flow up into 6 different parts, so maybe - by chance you got a vortex of air in the middle chambers (i got no idea what would be a great thing about the vortex, but thats what is their main selling point) so, alright - assuming a vortex does anything at all, if anything the benefit goes to maybe the 3rd and 4th cylinders... now, the damn thing is blocking the air flow to the engine, reducing the horsepower!! ok - it saves gas, but you can just stick something really restrictive in the air box and it will have the same effect - you will save gas, since less air goes through the engine, the computer sees that less fuel s required for the mixture and there is your fuel economy. It may make a cool sound since it has blades and whatnot, so you can be proud of it thus far.

But charging $60 for a stationary turbine blade that restricts airflow to the engine??? did I miss something?

-Artem

DaCan23
03-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Does that mean that for us in the USA the turbonator would swirl one direction and for those down under it would swirl in the opposite?

I'm pretty sure the swirl effect maintains all the way through the car and out the exhaust, despite the combustion process.

Think of it like a toilet. I'm pretty sure my turd swirls all the way through the flush, from the bowl through the flange and down through my home plumbing all the way until it hits the sewer or ejector pit. A pretty efficient flush at only 1 gallon per flush. That efficiency is achieved by the swirling action.

JD525IA
03-16-2006, 11:20 AM
There is a girl in my office who is going down to part time in order to start a new business - the BioPerfomance gas pills. All over the internet, you either see people raving about them (sellers, at least) or you see people saying what a scam it is.

I did a little research into it an found one writeup by some guy saying they helped his milage but he couldn't get his hands to stop smelling like mothballs.
I then did a search on 'gas + mothballs' and found one guys who said that when he raced on Friday nights, he and all the other racers would put a few mothballs (napthalene) into their fuel tanks to help boost the octane a bit.

Yesterday, this girl in my office was giving some of these gas pills to a coworker to try out and I took one whiff of them and they smelled just like mothballs.

Now, that company sells a bottle of 100 pills for $80. I thinks a can get a whole box of napthalene mothballs at a store for under $20.

I just had to laugh. I would never put anything in my car like that without some concrete evidence that it won't hurt my motor. Affidavits from people who get better gas milage just isn't gonna do it.

JD

ArtemLepilov
03-16-2006, 11:32 AM
HERE IS WHAT THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE THING SAY ABOUT HOW IT WORKS:

"The Turbonator’s airflow dynamic is designed to improve your vehicle’s air intake system in two ways. First, by creating a more efficient airflow path throughout the intake hose, air reaches your engine with greater momentum. As air travels through an intake it bounces around bends and elbows in the hose causing it to slow down. Spinning air is less susceptible to these abrupt changes in direction."

Alright now, they say the air will have MORE momentum when it is traveling sideways, ok, I buy that, since there will be LESS air, traveling at MORE momentum makes sense, BUT - it will travel at a great momentum around the central axis of rotation, and maybe even LESS overall horizontal momentum in the direction of the trottlebody. Then - creating a MORE EFFICIENT PATH THROUGH THE HOSE??? There is only one path - through the hose to the TB... how the hell would it create a MORE efficient one?? Air bounces around bends and elbows... yea - air totally does that. Dont you think if it was such a problem automakers would ocme up with a better design than that??? WHY DOESNT THE NEW M5 COME WITH A TURBINE LIKE THAT FROM A FACTORY?

"Secondly, once this redirected air reaches the engine, it produces a swirling, fast burn effect in the combustion chamber to create finer particles of atomized fuel, allowing better flame propagation and more complete combustion. The swirling air has longer residence time with fuel than flat air. Since the air spins through the fuel rather than just shooting through in a straight line, it spends more time mixing with the gasoline in your engine."

I GOT NO COMMENT ABOUT THIS ONE... AT ALL!! - this is a WTF kind of a statement.

"An emissions lab, licensed by the EPA conducted tests on non-moving vortex generators that produced results as high as 20 horsepower and 24% increases in mileage. Other independent studies yielded results as high as 35 HP and 31% MPG.* Although results varied from vehicle to vehicle, gains were evident, and considering the unit is inexpensive, easy to install, and requires no maintenance, the Turbonator is a worthwhile investment."

WHERE ARE THE TEST RESULTS? Dyno sheets? anything at all?? Can you back it all up?

Those kinds of scams just piss me off more than anything.

-Artem

632 Regal
03-16-2006, 11:34 AM
I dont know about you guys but the turbonators are cool! My kid even has one on his tricycle and it goes faster than before, these things are marvels of science.

Scott H
03-16-2006, 11:36 AM
I wonder which direction of swirl provides the most efficiency.

Does that mean that for us in the USA the turbonator would swirl one direction and for those down under it would swirl in the opposite?

Andrem5
03-16-2006, 11:56 AM

They advertise on this site so it must be good.

zmuff
03-16-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm going to put one on my leaf blower inlet and one on the outlet. The vortex coming off of it should clean up my yard in minutes...if I can hang on!

dacoyote
03-16-2006, 12:28 PM
They advertise on this site so it must be good.
We have got toothpaste ads on the site... :-)

Loppy
03-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Heck yeah! I understand if you install Splitfire plugs with your Turbonator, it adds even more horsepower!

Splitfire. The undisputed king of all snake oil auto products, and they're nothing but garbage.

DaCan23
03-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Ah yes that few days when we were heavy into the sonicare thread...

We have got toothpaste ads on the site... :-)

GoldenEagleFan
03-16-2006, 01:18 PM
I wonder if you hung one outside by the bird feeders if squirrels would be afraid of the "vortex"?

SharkmanBMW
03-16-2006, 02:59 PM

lol!!!

the search will provide you with hours of entertainment on this topic!!!

search "magnet" while ur at it!!

dacoyote
03-16-2006, 03:34 PM
lol!!!

the search will provide you with hours of entertainment on this topic!!!

search "magnet" while ur at it!!

or the Tadger... is that what it was called... they emailed me yet again

Rustam
03-16-2006, 04:34 PM
a turbonator for the exhaust would be nice, and for the radiator fan, and for the antifreeze itself - too!

Rustam
03-16-2006, 04:44 PM

There is one simple thought experiment that one can do. The turbonator has 3 flaps that are a fan that swirls the air. Now there is a flap along the way already - the one in the throttle body. What does it do? It blocks the airflow by minimizing open cross section for the air flow. Same do the flaps of the turbonator.

I find it ridiculous to buy this piece especially so since one can make the thing himself with a soldering gun - take a ring and solder in three inclined flaps of a fan...

nariusb
03-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Is it possible to addapt the m30, slightly larger, throtle to 525i with m20 engine? Has anyone done it to go in sync with the larger fuel injectors and AFM m20 to m30 swap? I know the rubber boot will go on if submerged in boiling water first.

genphreak
03-16-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm pretty sure the swirl effect maintains all the way through the car and out the exhaust, despite the combustion process. Think of it like a toilet. I'm pretty sure my turd swirls all the way through the flush, from the bowl through the flange and down through my home plumbing all the way until it hits the sewer or ejector pit. A pretty efficient flush at only 1 gallon per flush. That efficiency is achieved by the swirling action.Absolutely. I always thought the induction manifold looked like a u-bend, but I never knew BMW engineers (and others) had actaully copied the unique 'swirling vortex action' to improve volumetric efficiency. Until I saw the turbonator and I realised: Previously I had thought this was so that the exiting stool would clean poultice from the sides of the drain to keep it free, I never knew it actually was to assist the combustive process of a con-merchant's combustion product before it had been conceived.

ROFL. What a hilarious viewpoint Scott, good description!

632 Regal
03-16-2006, 07:38 PM
get 3 tadgars and 2 turbonators you wil have a faster car than jon on his little turbo setup.

winfred
03-16-2006, 08:38 PM
it certainly did wonders for my glock
http://members.cox.net/kitlou/glock%20turbo.JPG
now when i shoot a bad guy the bullet is moving so fast the guy is completely vaporized, thinking about getting one for my dick cept you mount that one backwards so it draws the chic to your crotch