PDA

View Full Version : M3 with a whipple twin screw super

rob101
03-16-2006, 05:09 AM
http://www.fastlane.com.au/Custom_Shed/BoomerBeemer.htm
it has been done before, shouldn't be too hard to adapt that to an M50 should it?

just bought myself the book Supercharged and am getting bad ideas, was thinking a low boost rootes though with an M3 (3.2L?) crank to make it into 2.9L

sKilled
03-16-2006, 05:54 AM
Ouch, that is serious mum!

But honest, beware of the costs involved - "tell him he's dreamin' " lol

rob101
03-16-2006, 06:12 AM
i am under no illusions that i will spend less than 10k. depends how much you do yourself and who you know, i am not going to get some random person to design the intake manifold or any BS like that, i can design stuff like that myself I also work in a construction company so there are boilermakers and top grade mechanics all around (although our boilermaker is shite house atm) not to mention contact with companies that machine mechanical components. it'd really be the fabrication that would cost, and that would be mainly the mounts and manifold i suppose. and i am thinking of doing it as part of an engine rebuild anyway. and using MS efi ;) so i am not really dreaming, just pondering but there will be no illusions of 533 hp beasts like in the link. 300ish hp with low down torque will be fine for me hence the stroker and Positive displacement

sKilled
03-16-2006, 06:16 AM
Honestly, let me know if you are going to do it and once you are done. Will pack in the misses and come over from New Zealand. Got a mate in Melbourne, and I think he will have to hold out as the excuse for me to see the completed monster!

rob101
03-16-2006, 06:19 AM
Honestly, let me know if you are going to do it and once you are done. Will pack in the misses and come over from New Zealand. Got a mate in Melbourne, and I think he will have to hold out as the excuse for me to see the completed monster!
lol yeah well if i start going on projects for work outside the cities it will definitely go ahead I'd say.

rob101
03-16-2006, 03:44 PM
bump thought the americans might be interested in this, but alas none of them has posted :(

dacoyote
03-16-2006, 04:00 PM
bump thought the americans might be interested in this, but alas none of them has posted :(

I just posted :-)

Elekta
03-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Terry has done tons of conversions...

bump around here, you might get some ideas

http://www.terrysaytherauto.com/Conversions.htm

one of these days I will do this
http://www.terrysaytherauto.com/M532Photos.htm

kyleN20
03-16-2006, 09:03 PM
well, as far as im concerned id stay the turbo route, easier, pore power potential, and it doesent rob power while it makes it, it uses power being wasted out the exhaust. and i assume you knew this and are trying to be origional, which would be cool, but i think id rather be cool by doing a twin tirbo set up or somthing like that, two small quick spoling turbos. take it or leave it. c ya

rob101
03-16-2006, 10:19 PM
well, as far as im concerned id stay the turbo route, easier, pore power potential, and it doesent rob power while it makes it, it uses power being wasted out the exhaust. and i assume you knew this and are trying to be origional, which would be cool, but i think id rather be cool by doing a twin tirbo set up or somthing like that, two small quick spoling turbos. take it or leave it. c ya
it would of course. for you, but unfortunately there is a steering rack complicating things in the mix on the exhaust side. for you see our cars are RHD, and to my knowledge high mount turbos are somewhat illegal here. and yes a discopotato (GT25RS) would be smashing, but yeah RHD complicates things somewhat. and then there is the question of low down torque, a well setup turbo can do this, but if you want that in a super you need a positive displacement.

liquidtiger720
03-16-2006, 11:40 PM
Rob, You've got mail!

rob101
03-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Rob, You've got mail!
I do? where did you send it? no PM's or emails in my gmail/hotmail accounts

sKilled
03-21-2006, 05:58 AM
Honest Rob, you should go for it. I think it sounds sweet. If you have the time and the money (you are obviuosly not lacking in either motivation nor know-how). Keep us posted m8!

Jon K
03-21-2006, 10:42 AM
http://www.fastlane.com.au/Custom_Shed/BoomerBeemer.htm
it has been done before, shouldn't be too hard to adapt that to an M50 should it?

just bought myself the book Supercharged and am getting bad ideas, was thinking a low boost rootes though with an M3 (3.2L?) crank to make it into 2.9L

Can't use S52 crank in an M50. You can do an M52 crank and rods w/ M50 pistons which = 2.9L

Honestly - you need to research more on putting a twin screw on an M50. There is a lot more than just an intake manifold to be constructed. And honestly, @ $7k minimum, you're wasting your time. Once you have everything machined, installed, and its not throwing belts... you're at least $7k in the hole and you haven't even touched tuning.

On a 2.5L M50, or even if you stroked it to 2.9L, adding a twinscrew is only going to get you BARELY to 300whp. If that. The 3.2L guys are dynoing about 315whp i believe.

I would go turbo if you are investing that much money. The Right hand drive is not an issue at all.

http://boostjunky.com/gallery/albums/turboE36/444339_107_full.jpg

http://boostjunky.com/gallery/albums/turboE36/IMG_1115.jpg

http://boostjunky.com/gallery/albums/turboE36/mert2.jpg

They've been doing intake-side mounted turbos for ages so they can fit T88's etc. You can easily fit a T3/T4 over there, have low torque, have high power, etc. The only reason I've invested the insane amount of money I have in a supercharger is because I intend to turbo as well... but with a twinscrew you can't exactly do that.

Remember - once you drop $7k on the blower setup, factor in another $3k for a commercial standalone and $1,500 for tuning. Or TRY and convince Nick G at ICS to tune your stock DME, but he won't.

Research more. As soon as you start adding stuff up, the TS becomes obsolete. Full custom turbo can be done for under $4k.

Jon

rob101
03-21-2006, 04:21 PM
As usual i appreciate the input jon, i wouldn't mind a turbo probably go low boost with a quick spooling turbo like a "disco potato", or a GT35 my friend suggested. One note on the crank i should have pointed out we have S50's (both the 3.2 and 3.0L) in the land of Oz not sure if that makes a difference but i thought it would fit. if i was going turbo though i probably wouldn't bother with stroking it, M3 cranks cost waaaaaaaaaay too much around here!

another question where do they usually route the exhaust on an intake side turbo? round the back of the block?

Jon K
03-21-2006, 04:34 PM
As usual i appreciate the input jon, i wouldn't mind a turbo probably go low boost with a quick spooling turbo like a "disco potato", or a GT35 my friend suggested. One note on the crank i should have pointed out we have S50's (both the 3.2 and 3.0L) in the land of Oz not sure if that makes a difference but i thought it would fit. if i was going turbo though i probably wouldn't bother with stroking it, M3 cranks cost waaaaaaaaaay too much around here!

another question where do they usually route the exhaust on an intake side turbo? round the back of the block?

Dunno if your '92 is a vanos or not but if its non vanos, do not stroke or bore it, keep it 2.5L and enjoy an insanely strong motor. With just a headgasket bringing compression to 9.0 or so, it is expected that the motor will handle ~18 - 20psi.

They route the downpipe straight down and then alone side the transmission and out. The air from the exhaust side goes thru tubular header under oil pan and up.

rob101
03-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Dunno if your '92 is a vanos or not but if its non vanos, do not stroke or bore it, keep it 2.5L and enjoy an insanely strong motor. With just a headgasket bringing compression to 9.0 or so, it is expected that the motor will handle ~18 - 20psi.

They route the downpipe straight down and then alone side the transmission and out. The air from the exhaust side goes thru tubular header under oil pan and up.
i think after 9/92 build date was vanos

mine is feb 1992, so hehe i have an insanely stong non-vanos engine, would get a rebuild anyway atm it is sounding a bit second hand, but i don't stress it too much. if i am touching the top end would it be worth it to dish the piston's out rather than putting extra chunky headgasket on?

Jon K
03-21-2006, 05:55 PM
i think after 9/92 build date was vanos

mine is feb 1992, so hehe i have an insanely stong non-vanos engine, would get a rebuild anyway atm it is sounding a bit second hand, but i don't stress it too much. if i am touching the top end would it be worth it to dish the piston's out rather than putting extra chunky headgasket on?

The non vanos engine is already 10:1 compared to vanos being 10.5:1. The pistons are already dished ;)

http://blowneuroz.com/newmotor/8.jpg

See?