PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Test Drive tomorrow!!!

granit_silber
03-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Hey All,

The Ultimate Test Drive is in my area tomorrow and I can't wait!

I have a 10 appointment with a 650CiC and an 11 o'clock with a Z4 3.0Si! After that, I'm just getting back in line.

Goto www.bmwusa.com and click "experience" to see when the test drive is coming to your town. Heck, where else can you drive 140K worth of cars before lunch AND raise money to cure Breast Cancer?

-ashley

billb
03-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Hey All,

The Ultimate Test Drive is in my area tomorrow and I can't wait!

I have a 10 appointment with a 650CiC and an 11 o'clock with a Z4 3.0Si! After that, I'm just getting back in line.

Goto www.bmwusa.com and click "experience" to see when the test drive is coming to your town. Heck, where else can you drive 140K worth of cars before lunch AND raise money to cure Breast Cancer?

-ashley
...and spend that time in the 550i!! I drove both Sunday on the transport from Raleigh to Virginia Beach, and I should have stayed in the 550i. Try them both if you want, but definitely drive the 650cic, and try to get in the 550i.

Separate review of the transport coming later...

Russell
03-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Very nice. I tried the 545 6 speed a couple of years ago with active steering. It was really nice as well. BTW, the 545 had the right rocker panel knocked off by the unknowing turning too quick at low speeds because of the active steering.

...and spend that time in the 550i!! I drove both Sunday on the transport from Raleigh to Virginia Beach, and I should have stayed in the 550i. Try them both if you want, but definitely drive the 650cic, and try to get in the 550i.

granit_silber
03-15-2006, 01:02 PM

Bill,

I plan to drive everyting they've got. Last year I stayed away from the 5 series all together, so I wouldn't have to deal with wanting one. But that strange sickness has passed and I'm looking forward to the 550.
As to the Z4, I have always loved two seater roadsters and the Z4 is one that I can fit in. I can't wait it's supposed to be 58 here tomorrow with high winds and sunny skies. I guess I'll show up in my parka, 'cause I'm going topless!!!

Did any of vehicles have a manual? Last year they were all steptronic. :(
-ashley

billb
03-15-2006, 01:54 PM
all steptronic. :(

Sorry, but yes. However, the Z4 3.0is had paddle shifters, that was pretty cool.

Russell
03-15-2006, 03:59 PM
last fall a lot of cars had manual tranys?

Looks like they wised up for the 2006 Drive for the Cure.

Bill,

I plan to drive everyting they've got. Last year I stayed away from the 5 series all together, so I wouldn't have to deal with wanting one. But that strange sickness has passed and I'm looking forward to the 550.
As to the Z4, I have always loved two seater roadsters and the Z4 is one that I can fit in. I can't wait it's supposed to be 58 here tomorrow with high winds and sunny skies. I guess I'll show up in my parka, 'cause I'm going topless!!!

Did any of vehicles have a manual? Last year they were all steptronic. :(
-ashley

Zeuk in Oz
03-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Hey All, The Ultimate Test Drive is in my area tomorrow and I can't wait!

I must admit I have seen references to this before and being from Oz may I please ask a couple of questions ?

I get the impression that this is some sort of travelling test drive.

Here in Oz we just go to a dealer and test drive whatever we want, whenever we want. Each dealer has one of most cars in the line-up that is a dedicated demostrator and we drive that.

Does that also happen over there ?

DanDombrowski
03-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Well, yeah. We have traditional test drives like you're talking about.

In this specific instance, BMW is letting people test drive their cars and also advertising for the Susan B Komen breast cancer foundation, they donate money to the fund if you drive a car. Pretty cool. Volvo does the same thing.

I guess the difference is that with this test drive, you don't have some greaseball salesman showing you that the car has rearview mirrors. "Holy crap, thats what those are?!!"

Oh, and I don't know about you, but test drives for me is not "whatever I want, whenever I want". I look like I'm about 17 (I'm 23), and while I have the salary and credit to pick up an e39 M5, I usually get some ass stupid story about how they have to jump through all kinds of hoops to show I'm serious about buying the car. But thats for another thread....

kyleN20
03-15-2006, 04:55 PM
how much is it to go? per drive? chrysler/dodge did the for there SRT proformance sereis vehicles, it was all free in the pontiac silverdoam parking lot, pretty sweet, had an awsome time tearing a srt8 and srt6 and srt 8, haha

granit_silber
03-15-2006, 07:27 PM
how much is it to go? per drive? chrysler/dodge did the for there SRT proformance sereis vehicles, it was all free in the pontiac silverdoam parking lot, pretty sweet, had an awsome time tearing a srt8 and srt6 and srt 8, haha
KYLE,

iT'S free (although you have to 25 to drive some of the cars). Plus you get some lunch and snack food and beverages.
-ashley

granit_silber
03-15-2006, 07:30 PM
I must admit I have seen references to this before and being from Oz may I please ask a couple of questions ?

I get the impression that this is some sort of travelling test drive.

Here in Oz we just go to a dealer and test drive whatever we want, whenever we want. Each dealer has one of most cars in the line-up that is a dedicated demostrator and we drive that.

Does that also happen over there ?
Zeuk,

Yep, like Dan said we have those test drives. But this a fundraiser for the Susan G. Komen Foundation, and no salesperson in the car with you. They give you a pre-determined route and every mile that you put on the car they donate $1. In Winston-Salem, it's about a 4 mile route that includes some highway, and two-lane roads.
-ashley

Qsilver7
03-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Click this link and choose your location...then click the "submit" button. This will bring up all the Susan Koman events in the location you picked. Search the list for "BMW-The Ultimate Drive" events that are for your area: http://www.komen.org/events/find_event.aspx?programID=1120&&nodeID=349

Here's the link to the BMW website for info: http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/EventsandPrograms/UDSK/default.htm

billb
03-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Zeuk,

Yep, like Dan said we have those test drives. But this a fundraiser for the Susan G. Komen Foundation, and no salesperson in the car with you. They give you a pre-determined route and every mile that you put on the car they donate $1. In Winston-Salem, it's about a 4 mile route that includes some highway, and two-lane roads.
-ashley
....and put 200 miles on them like I did!

;)

granit_silber
03-16-2006, 02:44 PM

;)
Bill,

I found out today that you guys in Raleigh use a different fleet then than the cars that came to Winston. There's a North and South fleet. You suck with the transporting stuff, the next venue for me is 26 miles away. Wait! What am I doing tomorrow????? hmmmmm....
-ashley

billb
03-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Bill,

I found out today that you guys in Raleigh use a different fleet then than the cars that came to Winston. There's a North and South fleet. You suck with the transporting stuff, the next venue for me is 26 miles away. Wait! What am I doing tomorrow????? hmmmmm....
-ashley

It's a fun event, for a good cause. I'm still amazed to have driven the 550i w/2 miles on it. Lowest miles I've ever driven a car with.

kyleN20
03-16-2006, 04:06 PM
sweet, looks like mid summer, june julyish its all over MI, can you do more then one? and is there an age limit?

dacoyote
03-16-2006, 04:17 PM

;)

Don't you have to be a member of bmwcca to do that?

kyleN20
03-16-2006, 04:25 PM
ummm, like is there a course you drive on, i want detailes from those who have done it, im realy excited to get into it.

billb
03-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Don't you have to be a member of bmwcca to do that?

you just have to know who to talk to to get "on the list". Friends of the Komen organization, friends of the dealer, heck, just mention to the organizers that you'd like to help transport the cars, and you're on the list if you're over 21 I think (25 for the high hp cars). I was an ambassador for the club, and probably got 3-4 folks interested in joining, when I mentioned that I had taken my 15 year old 318is on a race track, wearing a helmet, at over 100 mph, as a club member.

dacoyote
03-17-2006, 10:06 AM
you just have to know who to talk to to get "on the list". Friends of the Komen organization, friends of the dealer, heck, just mention to the organizers that you'd like to help transport the cars, and you're on the list if you're over 21 I think (25 for the high hp cars). I was an ambassador for the club, and probably got 3-4 folks interested in joining, when I mentioned that I had taken my 15 year old 318is on a race track, wearing a helmet, at over 100 mph, as a club member.

Cool beans... I will have to try to get on the list when it's out here again

Russell
03-17-2006, 11:07 AM
It may vary from year to year and of course city to city. It is usually on country roads, freeways and city streets so as to experience a range of roads. Here in Lexington KY it was about 14 miles last fall. The year before was about 7 miles.

I have done it the last 3 years. Highly recomend it for several reasons. Not the least is the money generated goes to breast cancer prevention. There is no cost to the drivers. In fact, you get free food and drink.

ummm, like is there a course you drive on, i want detailes from those who have done it, im realy excited to get into it.