PDA

View Full Version : An intersting little dilemma

mzarifkar
03-14-2006, 11:33 PM
i was driving back today on a windy road, and i noticed something odd.

When i turn right, with some decent pull (enough that you notice it, not yanking), and the weight of the car shifts to the left, i hear an interesting humm and very slight vibration (i think) coming from the left front wheelwell, nothing when turning left. I wouldnt propose i am rubbing the tire because the tire is not angled enough, this only happens when taking a turn with some pull.
a slow turn at say a sharper angle will not reproduce this. it is directly related to the force acting on the car sideways.

It sounds like when you change roadsurface and your tires sound differently..

So here are my hypothesii, but i dont want to plant any ideas.

1: the tire moves, exposing some of the tire's side to the surface causing noise and viration, i am running bridegstone potenza's, with less than 8000 miles on them.

2: My bearing is screwed and the increased load on it is causing them to grind or do something that will cost me a lot of money.

I dont know what a grinding bearing sounds like, but i would imagine it to be loud, this noise is not.

What do you guys think?

Alexlind123
03-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Wheel bearing?

Zeuk in Oz
03-15-2006, 12:38 AM
Power steering pump ?

Kalevera
03-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Search wheel bearing and similar terms. I've described how to simply test a front wheel bearing in a few previous threads.

Good luck!

best, whit

Paul in NZ
03-15-2006, 04:55 AM
my potenza(GIII) make some interesting noises when cornering on smooth pavement,only hear it with radio off and ussually only when going downhill(engine quiet)

wingman
03-15-2006, 05:29 AM
A worn wheel bearing will usually sound (and excuse my discription) like a woowoowoowoowoo. A good way to check is to wind your left window down and drive up alongside a mountain or something that will reflect the sound of the car. When really worn it will be constant but when on the way out may only make the sound under load. I know this sounds dumb but have you checked the tightness of your wheel bolts?

pundit
03-15-2006, 05:45 AM
A worn wheel bearing will usually sound (and excuse my discription) like a woowoowoowoowoo....
????.... How does it go? :D

mzarifkar
03-15-2006, 12:35 PM
A worn wheel bearing will usually sound (and excuse my discription) like a woowoowoowoowoo. A good way to check is to wind your left window down and drive up alongside a mountain or something that will reflect the sound of the car. When really worn it will be constant but when on the way out may only make the sound under load. I know this sounds dumb but have you checked the tightness of your wheel bolts?

this is more like a [fade in rapidly ] wooooooooooooo [fade out] not really a periodic noise in which the woo repeats

mzarifkar
03-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Power steering pump ?
ive hear a power steering pump when torubled, this is not it

Andrem5
03-16-2006, 05:54 PM
This is probably an early indicator of wheel bearing failure. It won't go WooWoo until later.

Phatty5BMW
03-17-2006, 12:58 PM
You guys are good at typing sound effects :)