PDA

View Full Version : How to fool LKM?

JeffD
03-19-2004, 04:06 AM
Hi:

I am having trouble with the "low beam" idiot light on my 1995 540. I have a set of euro headlamps running 100w H1 bulbs. I wired them to run from 2 relays. One relay for Hi and one for Low.

The factory bulb sockets are only triping the relays and telling the LKM htat there is no bulb. My mechanic decided to wire in a bulb in to the factory socket. The bulb heared up and ended up melting some nearby wires. I do not want to use the bulb route again.

What is LKM looking for? Can I go to Radio Shack and buy some resistors (what ohm?) or something to plug into the factory sockets to fool the system? Any other Ideas?

Thanks in advance

Jeff Donnelly

MarkD
03-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Hi:

I am having trouble with the "low beam" idiot light on my 1995 540. I have a set of euro headlamps running 100w H1 bulbs. I wired them to run from 2 relays. One relay for Hi and one for Low.

The factory bulb sockets are only triping the relays and telling the LKM htat there is no bulb. My mechanic decided to wire in a bulb in to the factory socket. The bulb heared up and ended up melting some nearby wires. I do not want to use the bulb route again.

What is LKM looking for? Can I go to Radio Shack and buy some resistors (what ohm?) or something to plug into the factory sockets to fool the system? Any other Ideas?

Thanks in advance

Jeff Donnelly

See my answer on the other list (yahoogroups E34 M5) you posted this on.

You need to increase the current sense resistors and they are metal strips with a resistance below 0.05 ohms.

I'll be working on a fix for this soon.

Mark

Tiger
03-19-2004, 12:28 PM
You got it... hook up resistor to where the bulb is... I can't remember what I used... I think it is a 4 ohm resistor... or 1 ohm is all you need.... all you need to do is show continuity...

MarkD
03-19-2004, 12:39 PM
You got it... hook up resistor to where the bulb is... I can't remember what I used... I think it is a 4 ohm resistor... or 1 ohm is all you need.... all you need to do is show continuity...

And how hot is that resistor getting if you used a 4 ohm one?

P = (V squared) / R so 13V * 13V / 4 = ~ 36Watts of heat !

(plus the heat from the bulb itself)

Definitely not the way to do it.

Mark