PDA

View Full Version : Umm...I dunno...is that a good idea?

sKilled
03-14-2006, 05:16 AM
I found some lights on Trademe (NZ version of e-Bay), 9006 with 80W and a 100W 9005. Is that too much? Can I safely modify either of these and run them without the front of the car bursting into flames or my alternator exploding?

mholbrook
03-14-2006, 09:10 AM
You might melt your headlights. The additional voltage might not be good for the LKM (light kontrol module). LKM's seem to be a little fragile on these cars anyway and the relays are on the LKM board.

Some have gone to HIDs which are probably a better bet but more expensive. I think you can get a decent HID setup for around $200 that is basically plug and play.

Check with Sterns lighting on the web. They are the light gurus.

Zeuk in Oz
03-14-2006, 04:34 PM
I found some lights on Trademe (NZ version of e-Bay), 9006 with 80W and a 100W 9005. Is that too much? Can I safely modify either of these and run them without the front of the car bursting into flames or my alternator exploding?
What sort of lights do you have ?
Are they euro-ellipsoids as per the Aussie market ?
If so, I found that going to a Phillips Vision Plus globe gave a longer, whiter light still at 55 W for both low and high beams.
I would be very surprised if you need any brighter than that.
If you are upgrading the wattage, you might need to re-wire the lights and instal relays for them. This might be necessary if the wiring is not good enough to support the extra current.
This was done on my F250 where I now run 90W low beams and 100W high beams - amazing difference.
Always presuming you don't melt your lenses - talk with an auto-sparkie about the options.

sKilled
03-15-2006, 02:08 AM
What sort of lights do you have ?
Are they euro-ellipsoids as per the Aussie market ?
If so, I found that going to a Phillips Vision Plus globe gave a longer, whiter light still at 55 W for both low and high beams.
I would be very surprised if you need any brighter than that.
If you are upgrading the wattage, you might need to re-wire the lights and instal relays for them. This might be necessary if the wiring is not good enough to support the extra current.
This was done on my F250 where I now run 90W low beams and 100W high beams - amazing difference.
Always presuming you don't melt your lenses - talk with an auto-sparkie about the options.

Yeah they are the euro ellipsoids (I think this car is either from Japan or, more
likely, from the UK). Thanks for the heads up. Will look into the Phillips until I have the spare cash for the HID upgrade.

p.s. Greetings from across the ditch :)