PDA

View Full Version : Heater core & Recall - expert opinions welcome...

genphreak
03-14-2006, 05:05 AM
Hey all,

Just did a search of the NHTSA database. It listed the following recall carried out on e34s which requires replacement of the radiator cap. Now I know this was done on my car, and am glad to confirm that there are no other recall notices in there. But given that I have to replace the heater core, is this possibly symptomatic of the previous cap generating too high a cooling system pressure?

It is clear that a lot of other people around the world have had to replace heater cores on their e32s and 34s. Is there case enough to be made for BMW to be providing cheap or even free cores to us or is it too long a bow to draw, ie could the cores really be naturally wearing out (ie is this even possible if the coolant has been regularly changed?).

Cheers! Nick

PS. What is the pressure of the cooling system before and after this recall anyway? Is the Bently correct on this issue?

BTW; Here's what the recall notice says-

Make : BMW Model : 535I Year : 1989 Manufacturer : BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 98V178000 Mfg's Report Date : AUG 03, 1998 Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM Potential Number Of Units Affected : 340000 Summary:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/images/spacer.gif VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. A MALFUNCTION OR FAILURE OF A COOLANT SYSTEM COMPONENT, SUCH AS A THERMOSTAT, WATER PUMP, OR FAN BELT, CAN RESULT IN SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASED COOLANT TEMPERATURE AND SYSTEM PRESSURE. IF THE INDICATIONS OF A CRITICAL OVERHEATING CONDITION IS NOT NOTICED BY THE DRIVER, IT IS POSSIBLE THAT DAMAGE TO, OR FAILURE OF, A COOLANT SYSTEM COMPONENT COULD OCCUR. Consequence:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/images/spacer.gif IF A CRACK WERE TO FORM OR A SEAM WERE TO SEPARATE IN THE HEATER CORE END PIECE, HOT COOLANT COULD SUDDENLY BE EXPELLED, INCREASING THE RISK OF PERSONAL INJURY TO A VEHICLE OCCUPANT. Remedy:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/images/spacer.gif DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW DESIGN RADIATOR CAP TO CONTROL PRESSURE AND PROVIDE GREATER COOLANT OVERFLOW IN THE EVENT OF OVERHEATING. Notes:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/images/spacer.gif OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MARCH 31, 1999. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

athflying79
03-14-2006, 06:38 AM
Every manufacturer is a bit different, but I wouldn't even attempt to consider having BMW give you a free heater core. I mean I guess it never hurts to ask, but don't hold your breath. The car is 17 years old and to much could of happened in those years to contribute to a faulty heater core.

Martin in Bellevue
03-14-2006, 08:48 AM
I think the o-rings leak more often than the cores. That was the case on my car.

Zeuk in Oz
03-15-2006, 12:49 AM
Nick,
Didn't your car blow a headgasket ?
I would imagine that the increased pressure in the cooling system then probably could also account for leaking heater cores !
My understanding is that the new 3 piece pipe removes some of the likelihood of it happening so soon again - have already purchased mine and a new heater core from BMA but haven't had the time to do it yet. Not looking forward to it either !
Hang on a minute, can't we blame our blown headgaskets on the old radiator cap? :D

genphreak
03-15-2006, 01:23 AM
Nick,
Didn't your car blow a headgasket ? I would imagine that the increased pressure in the cooling system then probably could also account for leaking heater cores ! My understanding is that the new 3 piece pipe removes some of the likelihood of it happening so soon again - have already purchased mine and a new heater core from BMA but haven't had the time to do it yet. Not looking forward to it either ! Hang on a minute, can't we blame our blown headgaskets on the old radiator cap? :DHeh, now there's a thought.... now it may be a long shot... but weirder problems have happened. I also ask the question jic say on e36 and e30 the problem (heater core failiure) doesn't happen as regularly- this would indicate that the cores on the e34 are either fragile (unlikely) or prone to damage (my query in a nutshell)- but I'm hoping that someone out there that sees a lot of this might comment in that respect...

Given the bad press BMW willl be getting over al frames bending on z-cars atm, this might be a good chance for us to get them to put this right, should it actually be a wrong, that is. So the question remains;

Is heater core failiure on M30 powered e32 and e34s more common than on other BMW models?

Kalevera
03-15-2006, 01:26 AM
I was told that the only reason this "recall" exists is to farm current BMW owner contact information (current as in 1999). The original caps are reported to do the job just fine.

Anytime the car goes in for anything at a dealer, the customer's contact information is collected. It's my understanding that in the late '90s, NA started getting serious about keeping that information up to date and centralized, versus letting it get thrown away by the dealer. How better to get fifteen or twenty years worth of car ownership information than issuing a superfluous, easy and cheap recall? Think about how valuable such a list would be to the company, and how cheap a freakin' radiator cap is to replace.

These days, things are even more meticulous. The latest telephony systems are coded to the owner.

best, whit

genphreak
03-15-2006, 01:36 AM
I was told that the only reason this "recall" exists is to farm current BMW owner contact information (current as in 1999). The original caps are reported to do the job just fine... These days, things are even more meticulous. The latest telephony systems are coded to the owner. best, whitNow there's something to sue them about... :D Thanks Whit, I hate to say it but I have wondered if that was a possible motive behind such a silly recall. After all it would've been simpler to post everyone a cap...