PDA

View Full Version : Brake Life?

JMI
03-13-2006, 09:34 PM
'89 535i AT, 120,000 miles

OK, I know it depends on driving (braking) style and whether stop-n-go or highway and I suppose the brand. Assuming not a heavy foot and about 50%-50% city to highway miles what kind of mileage can a 535 get out of new pads and rotors, front and rear? How many sets of pads per rotor, front and rear.
Recently got the car, have some service records but don't know how complete they are. Got a 'brake lining' warning a few days ago. If the records reflect the current situation, had new brake pads and rotors installed , front and rear, about 50,000 miles ago. Then new pads and rotors, front only, about 17,000 miles ago. Don't know if it is the front or rear wear sensor giving the signal.
Won't have the chance to pull the wheels for a look see for some time. A local independant BMW repair place quoted me about $850 USD :( for new rotors/pads all around.
Sounds very expensive. Is it?
At that price it makes me consider doing it myself. Will have to buy some tools (wrenches, sockets, jack stands, etc) plus will have to do this outdoors.

Any opinions or advice is welcome.

TIA

Jim

Scott H
03-13-2006, 09:40 PM
off and inspect the wear sensor for broken wires or maybe it's unplugged. While you are in there make a mental note of the status of the pads and rotors.

Russell
03-13-2006, 09:49 PM
about 40,000 on front brakes and 50,000 on rear. 75% open road, 25% stop and go. Pads were oem. Now has raybesto's ceramic/new rotors on front. need to change rear, almost down to wear indicator. will replace rotors at same time.

'89 535i AT, 120,000 miles

OK, I know it depends on driving (braking) style and whether stop-n-go or highway and I suppose the brand. Assuming not a heavy foot and about 50%-50% city to highway miles what kind of mileage can a 535 get out of new pads and rotors, front and rear? How many sets of pads per rotor, front and rear.
Recently got the car, have some service records but don't know how complete they are. Got a 'brake lining' warning a few days ago. If the records reflect the current situation, had new brake pads and rotors installed , front and rear, about 50,000 miles ago. Then new pads and rotors, front only, about 17,000 miles ago. Don't know if it is the front or rear wear sensor giving the signal.
Won't have the chance to pull the wheels for a look see for some time. A local independant BMW repair place quoted me about $850 USD :( for new rotors/pads all around.
Sounds very expensive. Is it?
At that price it makes me consider doing it myself. Will have to buy some tools (wrenches, sockets, jack stands, etc) plus will have to do this outdoors.

Any opinions or advice is welcome.

TIA

Jim

Karl
03-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Best way to check is to pull a wheel. Like Scott said, wear indicators are left front ant right rear and the sensor depends on a complete circuit through the sensor so if it got unplugged you'll get the warning message.

I normally have one set of rotors last through two or three sets of pads, and changing just the pads is an easy job, no exotic tools but be safe and use jack stands. If the rotor is not grooved, I don't have it resurfaced--just put in new pads and use the brakes easy till they bed into the surface of the rotors.