PDA

View Full Version : E34 M50 questions

GoldenOne
03-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Since I have bought this lovely vehicle and spent time with it I have come to few questions about odds and ends, hope you guys can help me with some answers...

1) The 5 speed tranny seems to be too loose to me, when I am any gear the shifter seems to be able to move around atleast 3cm+ in all directions (besides back to neutral ;)), is this normal or has a bushing or something failed???

2) Seems that I have the infamous mysterious oil leak. I looked under the car where the drips are and noticed it was around the sump/oil pan area so i cleaned/degreased that area around sump. Took it out for a casual spin, came back and looked under to find no signs of any oil leak, so two days later I look under only to see that its clean as a whistle...any ideas whats I can check to see whats leaking?

3) Having cleaned some of the bottom end, I would like to continue to the rest of the engine bay...what are some tips on a good procedure, cleaners, tools, etc from you experienced guys??

thats it for now! thanks for your help

winfred
03-13-2006, 09:12 PM
the shifter bushings are worn out, they are not too hard to replace and not expensive, just keep looking for the oil leak it's bound to show itself, i like to clean the engine cold so it doesn't steam and possibly get water in bad places, watch that you don't get water under the cover that's over the coils as that causes problems, i like concentrated degreasers that you dilute with water as they are not usually corosive to the softer parts under the hood

Dave M
03-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Since I have bought this lovely vehicle and spent time with it I have come to few questions about odds and ends, hope you guys can help me with some answers...

1) The 5 speed tranny seems to be too loose to me, when I am any gear the shifter seems to be able to move around atleast 3cm+ in all directions (besides back to neutral ;)), is this normal or has a bushing or something failed???

2) Seems that I have the infamous mysterious oil leak. I looked under the car where the drips are and noticed it was around the sump/oil pan area so i cleaned/degreased that area around sump. Took it out for a casual spin, came back and looked under to find no signs of any oil leak, so two days later I look under only to see that its clean as a whistle...any ideas whats I can check to see whats leaking?

Golden,

1) I had the same shift linkage 'slop' a while ago and chronicled the fix (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1169).

2) One common source of oil leaks on the M50 is the oil level sensor. The O-ring dries and leaks, sometimes insignificantly. Due to the position, air will blow the oil all over the pan etc. Might be worth replacing during your next oil change.

Good luck,

Dave M

GoldenOne
03-14-2006, 12:09 AM
thanks for the info guys!, just another quirky thing that I found to confirm with you guys: when you lock the door, remove the key, wait for the interior light to go out, and lift the handle the interior lights turn back on...is that suppose to happen...kinda nifty since the led in my key no longer works

Dave M
03-14-2006, 07:42 AM
I would think so. I believe its a feature in most vehicles to provide light as soon as the door handle is lifted. Lets you see if anyone dangerous is laying in your back seat ;)

Dave M

Rory525
03-14-2006, 07:47 AM
Yep meant to happen. Quite a nifty feature.

Have you discovered that if you hold the key in the locking position, any windows or ur sunroof which were left open will close themselves ?

:)

GoldenOne
03-14-2006, 10:44 AM
I did not know that...quite an awesome feature!

peterllo
03-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Look up top for slight seepage from the PCV valve gasket, it tends to leak underneath and flow down under the intake. Like the oil level sensor it too will dry out over time.

As for cleaners I use OTC engine degreasers or braker cleaner for heavy gunk with soil, be careful of the finish. For light cleaning a high concentration of Greased Lightening and rinse with water. Just take care around the alternator with any cleaner and water.