PDA

View Full Version : Torn between vehicles

athflying79
03-13-2006, 07:23 PM
I currently have a 91 535i. I've put a lot of work into her so far to get everything right mechanically. The interior and exterior still have a way to go, but as of right now everything works. I use her as a daily driver...if I'm not in it, I'm on a motorcycle. She only has 120,000 miles and for the most part has been well maintained and I expect many more years of driving.

I really want a truck for doing stuff around the house and being able to pull a trailer if needed. Then I see this in another thread....http://www.bargainnews.com/viewad.cfm?Show_Notepad=Yes&bnAd_ID=6238365&TheDealer=

I really love this car. I love the fact that it would be my car, but in mint condition with more power. It also has a lot of little touches that make it unique. Most people would not appreciate it for what it is, but I have chills even thinking about owning it.

Here are my questions.

1. Just how expensive is maintenance. I'm not scared of doing the work, but I remember just a recent thread of someone having the M5 brakes in his car and needing like $600 worth of just parts. How much more "needy" is a 540iM (as in M only 200 made, not M as in manual). How worried should I be that a 10 year old car only has 25,000 miles?? I know things can rot with lack of use to. From reading threads on here, I'm somewhat aware of the common issues of the V8's.

2. Am I nuts for wanting two of the same body style cars?? Even though they are very different under the hood. Most people won't understand but I could careless. The 540 would live in the garage, but still see a fair share of use and the 535 will be my DD. I can have two vehicles, just not sure if it's wise to have to E34's...then again there are to many other vehicles I would want two of. I definitely can't afford all three.

3. For those of you that own several vehicles, what do you drive and why?? After seeing Shogun's thread, I guess we all drive pickups :D . Will I regret not having a truck?? My wife does have a MDX, but it is more of a car with good visibility. Honestly I don't need a lot of power to pull stuff around, just like having the bed to throw stuff into.

Any other opinions are appreciated and please don't buy it (I heard it is a piece of crap anyway ;) , you're probably better off in a Civic).

calmloki
03-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Hmm - you NEED two cars! And a pickumup. or do as I did and buy a wee 4x8 1000# limit trailer and build a hitch for the 535. Search "hitch" and see my thread on 01-14-2006, 11:19 PM to see how mine was made and see if you can't improve upon it.
Tom

Kalevera
03-13-2006, 07:47 PM
My personal opinion: the 535's a better car. I've never liked the way the V8 e34s handle or feel. M5 or 535 for me, and you can get a hell of an M5 for 17.5k (check ebay -- that Euro '95 3.8 is 18k, but probably needs some bottom end work).

Frankly, there's nothing expensive about any E34 if maintenance is kept current. Problem is that most americans see 100k on the odo and decide that the car doesn't deserve oil changes anymore.

Without seeing the VIN, we don't really know what the car is -- an M540 or a regular 540/6. Either way, it doesn't have the nurburgring brakes unless they were added subsequent to delivery. Looks like it is an M540 what with the bumpers and wheels, but those could be afterthoughts.

Rubber desiccates whether it sits or is used. More pertinent question is whether the block has been replaced.

best, whit

onewhippedpuppy
03-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Really, if it's legit that's a good price. Why not get the 540, sell the 535 and get a truck with the proceeds? I have trouble believing that the 535 would be as fun to drive after getting what is essentially an M5 with a M60, but I suppose to each his own. A PPI would be huge on this car, as Whit said time isn't typically kind to rubber. Nikasil is also worth checking, but if a leakdown checked out I wouldn't worry that much with only 25k on it.

Traian
03-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Well, if it's a one owner car and the fellow had other cars and only drove her 2-3 days a week, 30km at a time, 25,000 mi is plausible. The price is extravagant tho: hopefully he's just trying for a quick profit.

Why not get a second car and a truck. I've been looking at all sorts of work trucks in great nick for <$3000 CDN. Only problem is insuring 3 cars at time (plus your wife's), ouch!

wingman
03-13-2006, 08:30 PM
One thing that comes to mind with the lower mileage car is the lack of wear to the interior. We all know that door panels don't hold up well and other parts can get tired with age too (my sunroof switch panel dropped out AU$65.00!!!). I've never owned a V8 but they do tempt me. The thing is this; If you put all your time and effort into the 535i it will be a great car but it will be the SAME car. Do you lust after something new? If so buy the 540. If you just want a great E34 I'd probably stick with the 535i. Think of how much you could do to it for way less than the $17K entry price for the 540 and better the devil you know...

athflying79
03-13-2006, 08:31 PM
My personal opinion: the 535's a better car. I've never liked the way the V8 e34s handle or feel. M5 or 535 for me, and you can get a hell of an M5 for 17.5k (check ebay -- that Euro '95 3.8 is 18k, but probably needs some bottom end work).

Frankly, there's nothing expensive about any E34 if maintenance is kept current. Problem is that most americans see 100k on the odo and decide that the car doesn't deserve oil changes anymore.

Without seeing the VIN, we don't really know what the car is -- an M540 or a regular 540/6. Either way, it doesn't have the nurburgring brakes unless they were added subsequent to delivery. Looks like it is an M540 what with the bumpers and wheels, but those could be afterthoughts.

Rubber desiccates whether it sits or is used. More pertinent question is whether the block has been replaced.

best, whit

The VIN # is WBAHE5328SGA65493. I am currently emailing back and forth so I'll ask about the block. He says it is 1 of 200 540i Sports. I believe the M540 was the Canadian version.

ArtemLepilov
03-13-2006, 08:35 PM
I know a 540I 6-spd for sale in Boston area for sale for $10k.. if anyone interested let me know. I can get more info - I know its got bilsteins all around and sport springs.

-Artem

Kalevera
03-13-2006, 09:11 PM
The VIN # is WBAHE5328SGA65493. I am currently emailing back and forth so I'll ask about the block. He says it is 1 of 200 540i Sports. I believe the M540 was the Canadian version.

There are US M540s, but they don't have the nurburgring brake package from the factory.

The car looks legit. Sold originally by a dealer in CT, had 17,556 miles on it in late 1999 when it received some kind of recall work at a dealer in GA.

So it hasn't been driven in the past 6 years.

best, whit

kyleN20
03-13-2006, 09:57 PM
well, i wanan do the two car thing with my e34, and somthing fun for the weekends, maybe a e30is, maybe a miata, mr2, iv been looking for a while and havent setteled yet. now if your looking for somthing thats praticle, and not so much funn, go with like a 2000 jeep cherokee id say, but im speaking for what i would like and what i think is a good idea. may not be the best for you. i also should mention yer talking about buying 17 thousand dollar cars, and im talking about 3-5k cars

GoldenEagleFan
03-13-2006, 10:28 PM
I would personally not be happy with two of the same vehicle styles. Especially if you do your own work. It might get boring fixing the same thing on each vehicle. As a shade tree mechanic I love the challenge of learning a new vehicle and the nuances each has and the "special" techniques required to repair them.

I agree if you are looking for a truck, a Jeep Grand Cherokee is a nice choice. I personally own one for towing my boat and heading to northern Minnesota every summer. They are a true truck and can take some serious off-roading if you are into that. Plus they have a good following and a forum (Jeepforum.com) that is only beat by this site as a great source of info.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Feeling like a fool

Loving both of you is breaking all the rules

Torn between two vechiles
Feeling like a fool

Loving you both is breaking all the rules.

Springfield1952
03-14-2006, 12:17 AM
Hey, I've got two e34's - the Touring is the daily driver and I need the space to haul around the prototypes and models my company makes and the M5 is for WOO HOOO! They're even the same Apline White!

Curt.

Zeuk in Oz
03-14-2006, 12:23 AM
May I propose a slightly different point of view.

Just for the record my daily driver is a 7.3 litre diesel F250 crew cab 4WD, my wife drives an ML 270 CDI (diesel) 4WD (SUV) and the kids drive the E34 .

At the risk of being shunned by this forum, I would suggest buying an E39 six - either 528i or 530i depending on what is available in your area for the same sort of money.

That should give you a different enough car to compare and contrast with your 535i.

Then hang on to both - BTW, I absolutely love my Effie - but I still drive the E34 every chance I can.

My advice would also be to sell the MDX and buy an Effie or whatever you desire instead.

My 2 cents.

kyleN20
03-14-2006, 12:43 AM
effie?

rob101
03-14-2006, 12:47 AM
effie?
his F250, mate! such a feminine name for such a beast....... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 7.3L diesel

kyleN20
03-14-2006, 01:03 AM
im a dodge man, winifred can back me up, 5.9l is the ****, srtaight six power

Alexlind123
03-14-2006, 01:17 AM
My mom has a 5.9l durango. I drove it for a few days when my exhaust studs broke.

Zeuk in Oz
03-14-2006, 01:47 AM
his F250, mate! such a feminine name for such a beast....... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 7.3L diesel
Abso-bloody-lutely !
Wouldn't catch me driving around in a Bruce !:D
Just love that 684 Nm of torque ! ;)

kyleN20
03-14-2006, 02:17 AM
5.9 in a durango is a 360 pushrod v8, the 5.9 in a ram 2500-3500 is a 5.9 i6 deisel, 610ft lbs of trq, you would know if your durango had this motor from the sounds alone (like change in a washing machine)

ILoveMPower
03-14-2006, 04:27 AM
Almost 18K? You need to give up on the M540 idea and give your friends at TCD a call. :)

(or click: www.turbochargingdynamics.com)

athflying79
03-14-2006, 06:47 AM
The more I think about it, the better off I am without it.

I need a truck, but won't be getting a Jeep. Sorry guys, but I have 03 Wrangler. It is more of a work vehicle that the company pays for, but it's in my name and can use it whenever. Anyways, not thrilled with the quality of the vehicle and can't stand the dealers. I know it's a Jeep it's not supposed to be perfect, but this thing has been a pain in my ass. I just didn't fall in love with it and can't wait till the lease is up.

I would like to get something under $5,000 so I don't have to finance it. I think that is one of the reasons I love the E34 so much...it's paid for. What other trucks do you guys drive that you would recommend??

onewhippedpuppy
03-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Toyota if you don't need a big one. Change the oil, it'll run forever.

kyleN20
03-14-2006, 08:45 AM
4 runner