PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking from brakes?

Traian
03-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Arr, one more question. I have a really high-pitched squeaking coming from what sounds like the front of the car? A few more Hz and only the dogs would hear it, but unfortunately when I roll down the windows it becomes pretty obvious. Basically it squeaks periodically, and the squeaking gets faster with road speed. The odd thing is, it completely goes away as soon as I touch the brakes. Is it something brake related then? My left front caliper is missing the anti-rattle clip, would this cause it? I'm also planning on installing new pads all around, might that solve it? Thanks!

ILoveMPower
03-13-2006, 06:16 PM
I don't know if it's the anti-rattle clip, but definitely get this replaced.

In my old truck, a '94 bravada, I had the same slight squeak that went away when I touched the brakes, and thought nothing of it for the longest time. By the time I had it checked out, it ended up being that I needed replacement of rotors, calipers, drums, and all hardware.

Basically, the subtle squeak turned into a $480 problem. :)

632 Regal
03-13-2006, 06:37 PM
definetly has something to do with missing parts LOL.

Traian
03-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Makes sense to me! BUT, the clip has been missing since I bought the car, and the squeak has only been going on for a week.... Well, I will replace it anyway when I do the pads, and I hope I'm not in for a total overhaul, because the rotors are newish and I think the caliper on that side only has about 10K on it too...Garr.

Traian
03-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Well, I did order a clip from the dealer, but I fogot about it till I already put the new pads in and bolted everything up. The pads I used are the PBR Ultimate Ceramics, and I hope they work well. So far so good though, the squeaking is completely gone, the brakes feel more linear and consistent and, oddly enough, the ride's a little smoother too.

I'm delighted and I thought I'd share.

angrypancake
03-24-2006, 05:43 PM
lucky, that happened to me, exact same symptoms, but i had a siezed caliper. gross.