PDA

View Full Version : Radiator hose clamps

ron525
03-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Anyone else have problems with the BMW radiator hose clamps? I had a leak at the hose connection on the outlet side of the thermostat housing. The original BMW clamp was stripped (could not get it any tighter). I replace it with a new BMW clamp. After driving it around for awhile, I checked it again and it was still leaking. I tried to tighted it a little more and stripped the new clamp.

Do you guys use BMW clamps? I know there must be clamps that can get the hose on tighter. Where do you get good quality clamps - at a discount auto store like Autozone? Or at nicer hardware stores???

Kalevera
03-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Actually, the german clamps are much better than most of the AZ ilk I run into.

The leak is probably not related to the clamp. It's probably the hose or tstat housing itself. If it's an M50 525 with a plastic housing, replace the housing first. The Mission Trading Company (MTC) metal ones are nice.

best, whit

DaveVoorhis
03-13-2006, 05:35 PM
If it's the original aluminium housing, it can corrode and fragment under the hose, and the hoses can harden and compress as they age. No amount of tightening will fix this, and they might appear to be sealed when the vehicle is stopped but leak under engine vibration. Replace the housing and/or hose(s).

genphreak
03-14-2006, 07:05 PM
If it's the original aluminium housing, it can corrode and fragment under the hose, and the hoses can harden and compress as they age. No amount of tightening will fix this, and they might appear to be sealed when the vehicle is stopped but leak under engine vibration. Replace the housing and/or hose(s).Hylomar can help if you don't want to spend money, but don't get any in the coolant itself, it'll could clog somewhere. Peronally I don't tighten my clamps very hard, tends to bend and destroy the parts affected by the pressure, especially under heat. I just make sure the surfaces are smooth and use new hoses :) Nick

mholbrook
03-14-2006, 07:11 PM
I'd be very careful of overtightening any hose attached to a BMW radiator. Radiators are pretty fragile in these cars and the necks can snap off or break.

shogun
03-14-2006, 07:59 PM
New, soft= flexible hoses and the standard clamps seal perfect. A hose hard as stone cannot be sealed with any clamp. No need to tighten that much if the hoses are new and soft and the connections where they are attached are nice clean.
And the necks of the radiators do not snap off or break so easily.