PDA

View Full Version : Ramps- How keep em from sliding?

Gene in NC
03-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Ramps- How keep em from sliding for thrust arm torqueing?

Finally got around to finishing the thrust arm job. Convinced that muffler shop drive on rack or alignment shop are best ways to torque under correct load, but weakening to my occasionally masochistic tendency decided to be "one of the real diyers" and do it the ramp way.

PITA to get enough weight in the car to preload. 150 lb of plates from the free weight system in a long box on the pasenger seat. Sweet thing will sit in drivers seat, but what to put in the back. Weighed a couple of mounted tires at close to 75 lbs for both. Four would have been just about right for the back seat but had a couple 40 lb bags off lime for lawn so 150 OK. Bricks in the trunk and I'm ready to go.

Then I redicovered why those D ramps hae been gathering dust. How the H to keep em from sliding when the wheels start up. Have the type with the low, low plastic pre-ramp add on that helps with low suspension or e30 325is airdams but ramps still keep, "Slip sliding away" per the Paul Simon song.

How do yoiu keep your ramps from. "Slip sliding away"?

Zeuk in Oz
03-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Use them on grass slope or bolt them to the floor ! ;)

DaveVoorhis
03-12-2006, 09:09 PM
How do yoiu keep your ramps from. "Slip sliding away"?

Place a 2x4, lengthwise, between the front of each ramp and your garage wall, fence, house, or whatever.

winfred
03-12-2006, 09:13 PM
i made some wooden extensions to keep the spoilers from bottoming out on the ramps, the extension has a bolt that just drops into a hole on the face of the ramp and comes down to a varly fine taper on both ends for a smooth transition

Kalevera
03-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Ditto. Last time I used them, I created extensions. Partly out of necessity -- the car was too low to go up the ramps/the bumper would've hit them.

Otherwise, drive faster :)

best, whit

632 Regal
03-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Gene is this how you normally drive the car? "Torque under load" means how the car is usually driven, if you drive around with steel plates and tires full of water in the trunk than thats how you should torque them.

just my oppinion.

Rustam
03-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Gene is this how you normally drive the car? "Torque under load" means how the car is usually driven, if you drive around with steel plates and tires full of water in the trunk than thats how you should torque them.

just my oppinion.

I think Bentley's manual mentions weights to be used all over for pre loading.

Gene in NC
03-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Post from mye28.com

Post subject: Ramps sliding away from wheels. Damon in STL Reply with quote
QUOTE "I use tie-down straps. I place the hook on the ramp and then unwind the tie down (just the fabric part) all the way. They are long enough such that the rear wheel will be on top of the tie-down as the front tires go up the ramps. Thus, they hold the ramps in place."

Damon in STL

Damon, Excellent idea. Ramps can be very useful if you can ever get the car up on them w/o an unreasonable struggle. Pls tell us more about the tie down straps. I assume they are heavy duty to minimize stretch.

SRR2
03-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Anti-skid mats that are used under throw rugs have always worked for me. You can get them at any big box home improvement store, *-mart, hardware stores....

Gene in NC
04-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Gave up on the ramps. Loaded up with Bentley spec preload and went to Mieneke. Five minutes and I was out of there. Replaced heat shield and sway bar at home and we were good to go.

Thanks for all the tips. Next time I'll go all the way with the ramps on one of the e34s.