PDA

View Full Version : 530i is on jack stands as I type...

dternst
03-12-2006, 06:18 PM
I'm flushing the coolant on my M60 and having difficulty locating the black drain plug. I have the instructions from bmwe34.net. It describes the plug to be located it the rear of the engine, on the exhaust side, below cylinder #6. I have a picture taken by stargazer from a thread intitled "M60 Coolant Flush" but can't determine from the picture the exact location. I guess I'm just being dense. Can anyone provide a location with a better picture or perhaps showing the location on the photo of the showing the jack and jack stand locations? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

Scott H
03-12-2006, 06:24 PM
A V-8 has two exhaust sides.....that's the problem....lol

It's close to where the tranny mounts up to the engine....

I'm flushing the coolant on my M60 and having difficulty locating the black drain plug. I have the instructions from bmwe34.net. It describes the plug to be located it the rear of the engine, on the exhaust side, below cylinder #6. I have a picture taken by stargazer from a thread intitled "M60 Coolant Flush" but can't determine from the picture the exact location. I guess I'm just being dense. Can anyone provide a location with a better picture or perhaps showing the location on the photo of the showing the jack and jack stand locations? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

Scott H
03-12-2006, 06:26 PM
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=11_1412&hg=11&fg=10

A V-8 has two exhaust sides.....that's the problem....lol

It's close to where the tranny mounts up to the engine....

632 Regal
03-12-2006, 06:45 PM
I only removed the passanger side drain, filled with water, ran it, drained it 2 more times then started with the correct amount of Cool Blue and then added distilled water as needed.

The driver side was just too much work to get to.

dternst
03-12-2006, 07:59 PM
I only removed the passanger side drain, filled with water, ran it, drained it 2 more times then started with the correct amount of Cool Blue and then added distilled water as needed.

The driver side was just too much work to get to.

I totally agree with you Jeff... the driver side drain plug is an absolute PITA to remove. You mentioned a passenger side plug but both plugs are on the driver side in the M60.

I removed the radiator plug and the coolant is slowly trickling out. At this point, should I fill the expansion tank with water and allow the engine to idle?

632 Regal
03-12-2006, 08:26 PM
there are 2 block drain plugs (one on each side), I only loosened the pass side, drained as far as it would (and radiator) put both plugs back in and filled with water then ran the car a few minutes and repeated this 4 times total.

I totally agree with you Jeff... the driver side drain plug is an absolute PITA to remove. You mentioned a passenger side plug but both plugs are on the driver side in the M60.

I removed the radiator plug and the coolant is slowly trickling out. At this point, should I fill the expansion tank with water and allow the engine to idle?

winfred
03-12-2006, 08:31 PM
the driver side is like a banjo bolt and only needs to be loosened, taking it out would suck to get it back in

dternst
03-12-2006, 08:49 PM
the driver side is like a banjo bolt and only needs to be loosened, taking it out would suck to get it back in

I couldn't get the driver side nut to budge. I believe that was as a result of not having the correct tools. I used a 13mm socket, 10-12" extension, 3/8" U-joint, ans a 3/8" socket drive. The socket kept slipping off and I was afraid I was going to damage the nut. Anyone have any other suggetions on the selection of tools to use to remove either engine plug?

winfred
03-12-2006, 08:53 PM
it's no big deal if you can only get one side drained, theres only about quart that stays in there after you pop the other side

I couldn't get the driver side nut to budge. I believe that was as a result of not having the correct tools. I used a 13mm socket, 10-12" extension, 3/8" U-joint, ans a 3/8" socket drive. The socket kept slipping off and I was afraid I was going to damage the nut. Anyone have any other suggetions on the selection of tools to use to remove either engine plug?

Kalevera
03-12-2006, 09:14 PM
As others have said, it's not that big of a deal if there's some residual coolant left in the block (and there will be, because the block drains aren't at the absolute bottom of the galleries -- you'd have to pull the engine, remove the heads, and turn the block upside down to get it all out). Plus, the heater core will still be filled with old coolant.

Having said that, I've not had problems getting the M60/62 V8 drain bolts out. I either use a stubby wrench or a 3/8" socket + universal + extension. Sometimes a heat shield has to be removed to get adequate clearance (may be thinking of E38/E39s, though -- I forget). I find the aluminum sixes, especially the AWD 3s and X5s, to be much more awkward.

best, whit

winfred
03-12-2006, 09:18 PM
i love the 328 e36s where you need to remove the 02 sensor to get the block drain out, and if you don't want to run coolent into the exhaust you need to plug the sensor hole

I find the aluminum sixes, especially the AWD 3s and X5s, to be much more awkward.

best, whit

dternst
03-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks again guys for replies.

I was unable to complete the coolant replacement, due to time constraints, so I replaced the radiator plug and will complete the replacement next weekend.

Thanks again to a great group of guys.