PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Slave Question

Kobe Diesel
03-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Ok, just last night I installed a new clutch slave, but did not bleed it yet -cannot start the car at this moment (up in air, things taken apart, etc.)

Anyhow, my friend stops by to see how the car is coming along and gets in the driver's seat. As soon as I heard the door close I said "dont press the clutch pedal" and sure enough he just did. The pedal went straight to the floor and stayed there. I came over and was able to easily pull it back by hand.

So, before I do anything next, did this damge the new clutch slave? What should I expect?

And when the bleeding stage comes next, how should I go about this without a press. bleeeder or vacuum hand pump? Should I just open the valve and let it drip by gravity for a little while?

bjl4776
03-12-2006, 04:05 PM
it shouldnt of damaged anything unless the slave cylinder wasnt aligned correct. When i replaced the clutch on my car, i didnt align the slave cylinder properly and when i pressed in the clutch it blew the slave apart inside the bellhousing and i had to drop the tranny to clean the fluid out. I doubt you did anything though unless fluid is dripping out of your bellhousing. Just continue with the bleeding procedure. Sometimes they can be a pain in the ass to bleed though, so dont give up too easily

DaveVoorhis
03-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Pumping the pedal shouldn't have hurt anything.

I usually pre-fill a slave cylinder before I install it, but even if it's dry, the following should work:

Recruit a helper, then fill the reservoir. Crawl underneath, close the bleeder screw, and have your helper push the pedal to the floor and announce "pressed!" Close your eyes, then open the bleeder screw briefly and close it. Juice and air will spray out. Enjoy the sensation of hydraulic fluid on your face and body. Repeat this a couple of times, and check the reservoir level because it will empty quickly. You might want to balance the lid on the reservoir to keep fluid from splashing out.

The first few pumps, your helper will have to pull the pedal back manually; when it comes back on its own and feels right, and when the nipple squirts clean juice instead of air, you're done.

If you don't want fluid spraying around, hook a length of clear rubber tubing to the bleeder nipple and immerse it in a jar of fluid. This will also help you see when you're no longer pumping air.

Kalevera
03-12-2006, 07:55 PM
and when the nipple squirts clean juice instead of air, you're done.

Not always -- some are easily bled and done in one attempt. Using a pressure bleeder and two people, it typically takes me two or three crackings of the bleed screw to get a slave properly bled/pedal feel back in line.

Kobe, you're fine if there wasn't any fluid in the circuit and the slave was properly installed in the trans with the plunger in the fork's nub. Even then, one pump of the clutch, blowing mostly air, probably wouldn'tve been enough pressure to blow out a new slave.

best, whit