PDA

View Full Version : Junkyard steering wheel removal

Kristuphir
03-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Is there a way to remove the E34's steering without having the ignition key? The pick-your-part place around the corner has a couple nice-looking ones, but what I really need is the slip ring that goes behind the wheel. I'd like to be respectful of the yard and not hacksaw the poor thing off like I've seen some other people do. Am I out of luck? That ring costs $130 from BMA and would be like $5 from the yard...

winfred
03-12-2006, 05:33 PM
the wheels that are held in with the 22mm nut are locked in with the steering lock and requier cutting/breaking of the lock, if your car has a 18/19mm bolt holding the wheel it won't work anyway, you need a 91 and up parts car

Kristuphir
03-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Right. I have a '91, I'm looking at '91s...is there a method of breaking this lock that won't attract too much attention?

SharkmanBMW
03-12-2006, 06:17 PM
is it not possible that the scrap guy has the keys???

Kristuphir
03-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, there are several hundred cars in this yard, so I dunno. But I suppose it'd be worth asking...

SharkmanBMW
03-12-2006, 07:13 PM
certainly the cars are more useful with the keys, they should show up with them. Whether he is organised is another story!

winfred
03-12-2006, 07:24 PM
i hate that **** when they show up without keys espcially when the car is a fixer, the dealer will not order a replacement key without the car being in the shop's name so it's a royal pain in the ass, theres ways around this aslong as the car is 94-95 and older, the newer cars have that coded key ******** and need a expensive trip to the dealer to be coded

wingman
03-12-2006, 08:42 PM
The pick-your-part place around the corner has a couple nice-looking ones, ...

How lucky are some people...

Kalevera
03-12-2006, 09:02 PM
It might be easier to just pull the column in its entirety, then attack it in the peace and comfort of your own garage. The PP people might not be smart enough to realize that the column is practically useless (unless it's a power telescoping column, in which case it is 50% of what you need to do my power tilt/telescoping conversion), though, so you might have to explain that to them when they're deciding what you should pay for it.

best, whit

shogun
03-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Basically it is not possible to get the steering off or on without a key.
Look at the nice bolt sticking out at the bottom of the part
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/dash_bulbs/showRemovedClusterAndSteeringWheel.jpg

Kalevera
03-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Erich, I'm not sure if I buy that. It's possible to break or bend the steering lock when removing or torquing the steering wheel bolt back in place. I've not personally done it, but I know people who have -- and it's a pain to replace that interlock. That's one reason why you need two people to install the wheel -- ignition goes to position 1, one person holds the wheel, the other torques it into place. I use a 1/2" impact to remove wheels with the ignition in position 1.

best, whit

winfred
03-12-2006, 09:52 PM
when iwant to save the wheel because it's nice or something i slidehammer/prybar the ignition switch out or till it's able to be turned, usually without destroying the lock housing, but i've done it several times

Kalevera
03-12-2006, 09:54 PM
how big of a slidehammer do you use to get that sucker out?

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Cordless 24v Drill, 1/2 in drill bit and bam... it's a screw driver mobil.

Just drill out the lock and use a screw driver to turn it to the unlock position.

Slide/back hammer is good too, but sometimes it's hard to get the screw to hold or it shears off.

winfred
03-12-2006, 10:02 PM
you just need to break up the ignition lock enough to get it out which aint hard, i basicly stole a 90 525 to save the cost of a tow to get it from the bosses parents house back (where it was stuck) to the shop, dissabled the lock and started it with a screwdriver and drove off, it took longer then that but.....

shogun
03-12-2006, 10:41 PM
I said

Basically it is not possible

but with brutal force, sledgehammer, mobile drills, screwdriver in ignition etc.

Gosh, here we are in an experienced gang ;) :D