PDA

View Full Version : MOMO Steering wheel

BigTed00
03-12-2006, 10:21 AM
When I bought my car it came with a MOMO steering wheel. I really loved the feel of it at first, but now its starting to get on my nerves. Since its much smaller then the stock e34 steering wheel, it blocks my view of the speedometer and tach. It wasnt a big deal at first, but now its getting tiresome having to lean all the way forward to look at the gauges. This is the one I have

http://www.meestark.net/images/257698762XmADbS_ph.jpg

Can anyone tell me what my options are? I really want to get rid of this wheel, but I dont know what else is out there. Also I think I remember the seller mentioning something about having the wheel specially installed, is that true? If so, will it be hard to install a different wheel? Thanks everyone

Jjcarr
03-12-2006, 10:38 AM
When I bought my car it came with a MOMO steering wheel. I really loved the feel of it at first, but now its starting to get on my nerves. Since its much smaller then the stock e34 steering wheel, it blocks my view of the speedometer and tach. It wasnt a big deal at first, but now its getting tiresome having to lean all the way forward to look at the gauges. This is the one I have

http://www.meestark.net/images/257698762XmADbS_ph.jpg

Can anyone tell me what my options are? I really want to get rid of this wheel, but I dont know what else is out there. Also I think I remember the seller mentioning something about having the wheel specially installed, is that true? If so, will it be hard to install a different wheel? Thanks everyone

Depending on your vintage, it may have required an e36 hub adaptor, but that adaptor doesn't support the horn button, so that might be what was installed custom. If you have an earlier e34 then it could be mounted with an e30 hub, which should work right out of the box.

I was in the same quandry, really liked the smaller feel but got sick of ducking to see the speedo. I ended up going with a stock M3 steering wheel. It's a hair smaller than stock, but big enough so that it doesn't hide the instruments. You can also look at Momo's website, the used to (and might still) make some wheels that were 385mm diameter, which might clear your instruments. The one I remember was an all-leather 4-spoke wheel, but I don't remember the model number.

There's also a guy with the supercharged e34 525 that mounted an e46 steering wheel that I think looks amazing in the e34, but I didn't see any details on how it was done.

The M3 wheel is significantly bigger in diameter than the Momo, but without tilt control on your steering column it's about the smallest wheel you can run (for me, being 6' tall) that still allows me to see the instruments. The only downside is that it's enlarged thumbrests on the wheel mean I can't put a wheelskin cover on it. Because I have big hands I usually like a meatier steering wheel. I drove a friends e39 M5 and it had an AMAZING steering wheel, absolutely perfect.

BigTed00
03-12-2006, 11:01 AM
I have 09/89 build date.I really wanted an alpine or e36 m 3 spoke steering wheel, but the more I read the more it sounds like I'll have to go with another momo wheel. I really would like the M 3 Spoke wheel, just so that SRS light will go away

Erwin8r
03-12-2006, 02:24 PM
I have 09/89 build date.I really wanted an alpine or e36 m 3 spoke steering wheel, but the more I read the more it sounds like I'll have to go with another momo wheel. I really would like the M 3 Spoke wheel, just so that SRS light will go away
Tedd, you can go with the M-Techni steering wheels that were made for the E30/E24/early E34--they are non-airbag wheels, and you can differentiate them from the later-model versions by the hub and the fact that they have "straight" spokes. Here's a picture: http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/6f/2d/7a_12.JPG and a link to an eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M-Technic-2-Steering-Wheel-E24-E28-E30-E32-E34_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQitemZ8044427 595QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

No affiliation, etc... You can also go with a 360mm Momo (the one in your picture looks like a 350mm), which would put it close to the 365mm M3 steering wheel.... There are a lot of options for your car...

Jjcarr
03-12-2006, 03:37 PM

I think the early e34's use the same setup as an e30, so the e36 stuff won't fit, and probably the e46 won't fit either. I'd go for the M-Technic mentioned earlier...

Jay 535i
03-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Is that wheel 350mm? Or smaller?

And, if you don't mind my asking, how tall are you?

I'm about to buy a Momo wheel myself (350mm) and I'm concerned about blocking guages. But then the M-tec wheel is 365mm and 1.5cm isn't much of a difference. I expect to be okay, but I'd like to hear more about your experience.

Scott H
03-12-2006, 07:42 PM
I have it in my 1991 M5 and it block the top part of the speedo......and I'm always in that area!!! 80-100mph and 3k-4500rpm...

Jay I'm 6'4"

Tedd, you can go with the M-Techni steering wheels that were made for the E30/E24/early E34--they are non-airbag wheels, and you can differentiate them from the later-model versions by the hub and the fact that they have "straight" spokes.

No affiliation, etc... You can also go with a 360mm Momo (the one in your picture looks like a 350mm), which would put it close to the 365mm M3 steering wheel.... There are a lot of options for your car...

BigKriss
03-12-2006, 07:52 PM
I have a 350mm MOMO steering wheel (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12202&highlight=steering), the stock M-tech 1 is 385mm. It makes the steering response quicker but feels slightly heavier. It blocks the speedo view from about 70kms to 120kms. It depends on your driving position also, if you sit low in the seat, all the way down. You can see all of the speedo no problems. I like the small wheel a lot better.

Jjcarr
03-12-2006, 08:20 PM

I'm about to buy a Momo wheel myself (350mm) and I'm concerned about blocking guages. But then the M-tec wheel is 365mm and 1.5cm isn't much of a difference. I expect to be okay, but I'd like to hear more about your experience.

Actually 1.5cm is surprisingly a big difference when you're talking wheel diameter. The M3 wheel is only about 1cm smaller than the stock e34 wheel but feels much nicer. The Momo race I had (want to buy it???) felt really good but just blocked the guages too much. Partly it's also because I like to sit up high so my seat is usually close to the stop on hieght.

Kalevera
03-12-2006, 10:46 PM
So, if they pulled the airbag light, did they pull anything else? :)

BigTed00
03-12-2006, 10:59 PM

I'm 6'1" and it blocks my view from 40mph and up.

I really like the e30 mtec wheel, but I kinda wanted an airbag (insurance would give a nice break).

Kalevera
03-12-2006, 11:16 PM
The insurance company already thinks you have an airbag.

BigTed00
03-12-2006, 11:20 PM
they asked me if I had one, and I told them no. They asked me if I had airbags, anti theft, daytime running lights, lojack, and a few other questions

Erwin8r
03-12-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm 6'1" and it blocks my view from 40mph and up.

I really like the e30 mtec wheel, but I kinda wanted an airbag (insurance would give a nice break).
Ted, I don't think you can mount a steering wheel with an airbag, unless you revert to stock... I had the M-technic wheel on mine, a 360mm AC Schnitzer, and am now going with a E36 M3 3-spoke airbag wheel... I had no visibility issues with the M-Technic wheel (on this car or my E24...), and slight obstruction with the AC wheel... I'd go with the M-Technic if you want close to OEM, but the "M" feel, or a larger Momo... :p

BigTed00
03-13-2006, 12:17 AM
I agree, I have it narrowed down to the MOMO Monte Carlo wheel or the mtec wheel. I'm having trouble finding the mtec on ebay, anyone have a good lead on one?

Erwin8r
03-13-2006, 11:47 AM
I agree, I have it narrowed down to the MOMO Monte Carlo wheel or the mtec wheel. I'm having trouble finding the mtec on ebay, anyone have a good lead on one?
I posted one (German sellers tend to be reliable, provided they have good feedback, but shipping can be a little slow), but there are a few others on there right now. Search for "M-Technic Steering Wheel" and you will get a few hits... I have bought 3 this way...

Jon K
03-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Could do E46 Sport wheel like I did.

CharlesAFerg
03-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Yes...But how? :-D

Erwin8r
03-13-2006, 12:46 PM
His airbag conmtroller is different--the earlier E34's used the "first" generation of airbag controllers, and the later ones used the "second" (or so my BMW tech tells me). I could be wrong, however, but I do know that the connectors are different. The one for my car is compatible with E36, E38, and E39 wheels up to 1998...

Scott H
03-13-2006, 12:49 PM
shaft/spline is different....

Erwin8r
03-13-2006, 12:55 PM
shaft/spline is different....
Um, yeah, there is that too... :D

Turbo Ready
03-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Um, yeah, there is that too... :D

Cant help you with replacement, but if you are selling the one you have how much are you asking?

You can email me at turboready@vif.com if you like.

Thanks.

Jay 535i
03-13-2006, 03:37 PM
I have it in my 1991 M5 and it block the top part of the speedo......and I'm always in that area!!! 80-100mph and 3k-4500rpm...

Jay I'm 6'4"

Hmm, I'm 6'2" and I sit with the seat all the way down and reclined quite a bit, which gives me what looks like lots of margin for a smaller wheel while keeping the guages visible. My existing wheel is 390mm, I think. That's 4cm larger than the Momo wheel in question, which means a difference in radius of 2cm (a little less than an inch). When I look at my guages through the wheel, there's more than an inch between the rim of the wheel and the numbers on the guages, so I think I'll be okay. I think.

I wonder how much of the guages will be blocked, and whether or not it will be worth it. Only one way to find out, I guess... :)

Thanks for the input guys.

Please confirm, though: blocked guages aside, the 350mm wheel FELT good, right?

When I go ahead with the wheel swap I'll post pics. I expect because of the way I sit in the car I'll be okay re: seeing the speedo and tach, but I do sit lower and more reclined than most people -- partly because I'm tall and don't like brushing the headliner with my coiff (;)), and partly because I prefer my car to feel more sporty and less family, and sitting low accomplishes that. My seat is always in the lowest position.

Time will tell if it works out.

Oh, lastly, while I've already picked out my wheel and will be buying it new, I would be interested in purchasing a used hub adapter. If any of you ex-Momo guys would like to sell me your Momo E34 hub adapter please PM me. I'm not sure exactly which adapter I'd need. My car was built in the first half of 1990 and has a non-airbag wheel.

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/9.jpg

Erwin8r
03-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Hmm, I'm 6'2" and I sit with the seat all the way down and reclined quite a bit, which gives me what looks like lots of margin for a smaller wheel while keeping the guages visible. My existing wheel is 390mm, I think. That's 4cm larger than the Momo wheel in question, which means a difference in radius of 2cm (a little less than an inch). When I look at my guages through the wheel, there's more than an inch between the rim of the wheel and the numbers on the guages, so I think I'll be okay. I think.

I wonder how much of the guages will be blocked, and whether or not it will be worth it. Only one way to find out, I guess... :)

Thanks for the input guys.

Please confirm, though: blocked guages aside, the 350mm wheel FELT good, right?

When I go ahead with the wheel swap I'll post pics. I expect because of the way I sit in the car I'll be okay re: seeing the speedo and tach, but I do sit lower and more reclined than most people -- partly because I'm tall and don't like brushing the headliner with my coiff (;)), and partly because I prefer my car to feel more sporty and less family, and sitting low accomplishes that. My seat is always in the lowest position.

Time will tell if it works out.

Oh, lastly, while I've already picked out my wheel and will be buying it new, I would be interested in purchasing a used hub adapter. If any of you ex-Momo guys would like to sell me your Momo E34 hub adapter please PM me. I'm not sure exactly which adapter I'd need. My car was built in the first half of 1990 and has a non-airbag wheel.

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/9.jpgJay, you will need the number 2006 Momo Adapter... And they are around $50-65 dollars new....

Jay 535i
03-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks for letting me know. I wondered which one I'd need. Cheers.

BigTed00
05-07-2006, 12:26 AM
decision time, which one would you choose?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-MTECH-1-Steering-Wheel-E30-Very-Good_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQitemZ806170 1402QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M-Technic-Steering-Wheel-E31-E36-E38-E39-Z3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQitemZ80607018 83QQrdZ1

onewhippedpuppy
05-07-2006, 02:42 AM
I vote #2.

Derek A.
05-07-2006, 06:05 AM
I think for earlier e34 you need this Mtech 2 instead of the one you have shown

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M-Tech-2-Steering-Wheel-E30-E34-M3-M5-E32-E24-E28_W0QQitemZ8063518402QQcategoryZ33704QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

VentoGT
05-07-2006, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't buy a wheel from Germany--it will take forever to get it, plus that guy is a moron and has it described as "with airbag" when that wheel was never offered with an airbag...I have seen these regularly on eBay--keep looking and you will find one in the country I would think. I just got a Sport Airbag II wheel [from an e36 M3] for my e34 but haven't installed it yet. Plus I have the later steering column hub so the fitment of my wheel is different from yours [as described by a few other posters].

Good luck!