PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with my car?

huntercross
03-12-2006, 05:33 AM
I just bought a 1995 525i automatic with 139k on it, and have noticed something recently with it. When at a stop and I then put my foot to the floor, the car moves forward very slowly and you can feel a harsh vibration as though the car is lugging almost like a manual tranny would. After about 3 seconds of keeping my foot in it, the car finally pulls forward with some smooth strength. The vibration feels like its coming from the rear end or the tranny, but I could be wrong. Just as a note, I had the "TRANS PROGRAM" message come up recently, but it went off and hasnt come on since. Thanks in advance.:)

wingman
03-12-2006, 05:45 AM
I just bought a 1995 525i automatic with 139k on it, and have noticed something recently with it. When at a stop and I then put my foot to the floor, the car moves forward very slowly and you can feel a harsh vibration as though the car is lugging almost like a manual tranny would. After about 3 seconds of keeping my foot in it, the car finally pulls forward with some smooth strength. The vibration feels like its coming from the rear end or the tranny, but I could be wrong. Just as a note, I had the "TRANS PROGRAM" message come up recently, but it went off and hasnt come on since. Thanks in advance.:)

Howdy Huntercross and welcome to the board. Where abouts are you? Different markets got different trannies.

huntercross
03-12-2006, 05:51 AM
Howdy Huntercross and welcome to the board. Where abouts are you? Different markets got different trannies.
I am in the US in Washington State. Thanks:D

Qsilver7
03-12-2006, 07:40 AM
what happens if "when at a stop, and I then put my foot to the floor" ...you have the tranny & gear select lever in S 4 (sport mode) instead of E D (economy mode)? Does it still lug or bog down the same way?

huntercross
03-12-2006, 07:23 PM
what happens if "when at a stop, and I then put my foot to the floor" ...you have the tranny & gear select lever in S 4 (sport mode) instead of E D (economy mode)? Does it still lug or bog down the same way?
I will give it a shot, but just as a note, I have a 525i, which is a 4 speed auto, so when I put it one below economy D, it is actually Sport 3. Ill let you know what I find.

632 Regal
03-13-2006, 12:01 AM
sounds like the trans is in "limp" mode and starts out in 4th gear. You have to at least check the fluid PROPERLY and while there see how burnt the fluid is.

huntercross
03-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Alright, I tried a fast start in S3, and it makes no difference. I know that the car isnt starting in 4th gear, because it progressively upshifts through all of its gears. Also as a note, after punching it from a standstill, I later smell a little burning odor when I stop and get out of the car.

peterllo
03-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Got the cars service history?

Sounds like you are slipping in 1st gear. As mentioned have the fluid checked. Your car uses GM's 4L80E transmission, not the best in the world, but on a positive note, rebuildable by any good trans shop and way cheaper than the ZF 5 speed used in the 535 and 540.

Purchased my '95 at 140K, it started the same shortly thereafter. It was significantly worse with the trans cold. As time/mileage went by the symptoms became progressively worse. The car had been serviced twice prior to my purchasing it so it merely was wear and tear. However I was able to prolong the rebuild 25K by having the trans serviced and with that service, Wynn's additive used. 3K later did a flush and refill (Wynn's again) and was good to go for another 22K.

A good quality, total rebuild, all new internal parts, seals, electronics $2,000 in Washington D.C.

huntercross
03-16-2006, 03:05 AM
unfortunately i do not have the service history. Thanks for all you help. I am gonna cahnge the tranny fluid this weekend and hoep for the best. Any suggestions before I change as to some additives you like or maybe any tips on how much fluid those cars like? Thanks