PDA

View Full Version : favorite headunit

BigTed00
03-12-2006, 12:02 AM
I'm looking for an MP3 CD Player for my car, but so far I've been unsuccessful in finding one that doesnt stick out like a sore thumb either during the day or at night. Anyone reccomend me some good ones?

ThoreauHD
03-12-2006, 12:23 AM
I bought the Alpine CDA-9856. It plays wma and mp3. This model is black and matches the deck of the 5 series. There are higher numbered models, but they are more for adding additional high powered speaker and woofer systems. The alpine plays everything in those formats, unlike other players. It doesn't skip and is unobtrusive.

The only downside is that you have to read the manual. It is not very intuitive at first to figure out what does what. But the player is the best for mp3's. This is my second one and the last was sold with my last car. It still worked flawlessly after many years.

Alpine has much more expensive models. This one is 180-200 bucks. The plain natural font text players are around 600 bucks. They are also black and play mp3's. But in my case, I don't find digital text versus natural fonts worth 400 bucks. But there you have it. You can have this player installed in all of 7 minutes. It's very easy and fits perfectly.

dternst
03-12-2006, 01:36 AM
I bought the Alpine CDA-9856. It plays wma and mp3. This model is black and matches the deck of the 5 series. There are higher numbered models, but they are more for adding additional high powered speaker and woofer systems. The alpine plays everything in those formats, unlike other players. It doesn't skip and is unobtrusive.

The only downside is that you have to read the manual. It is not very intuitive at first to figure out what does what. But the player is the best for mp3's. This is my second one and the last was sold with my last car. It still worked flawlessly after many years.

Alpine has much more expensive models. This one is 180-200 bucks. The plain natural font text players are around 600 bucks. They are also black and play mp3's. But in my case, I don't find digital text versus natural fonts worth 400 bucks. But there you have it. You can have this player installed in all of 7 minutes. It's very easy and fits perfectly.

THD, Could you post a picture of your head unit? I believe someone posted a head unit similar in looks to the OEM head units but I've been ubable to locate the post or the picture.

Thanks,

David

bahnstormer
03-12-2006, 12:45 PM
http://bahnstor.entermyweb.com/E34/100_3201.JPG

looks beautiful lights up in green or amber matches perfectly

doesnt' play mp3's but does have extra inputs for a hardwired mp3
player or just use the ability to play CDRW and reburn new songs
on teh same disc

kyleN20
03-12-2006, 01:12 PM
i have a sony, works like **** cold, plays all cd's and mp3 cd's lights amberish, i wouldent recomend a sont though, i like the kamelion or however you spell it, i think JVC makes it

Jjcarr
03-12-2006, 02:00 PM
i have a sony, works like **** cold, plays all cd's and mp3 cd's lights amberish, i wouldent recomend a sont though, i like the kamelion or however you spell it, i think JVC makes it

One quick note on the El Kameleon from JVC, I went from an El Kameleon to an older low-end Nakamichi (CD-30 I think) and the difference in sound quality was VERY noticable. While I like to looks of the El Kameleon, I have to give the nod to the Nakamichi not only for near stock looks but also great sound quality.

The newer Nakamichi's (probably the model after the one pictured) do play MP3's.

BigTed00
03-12-2006, 02:07 PM

I actually have a JVC kamelion in my car right now, but I really, really miss having an mp3 cd player. I bought the first mp3 cd player on the market in 1999, and I've been hooked ever since. I was thinking of the Sony MP80 , only because it color matches well and isnt too expensive

Guapo
03-12-2006, 02:14 PM
http://www.guapozx.com/guapozx/d/3662-5/IMG_1976.JPG
http://www.guapozx.com/guapozx/d/3654-5/IMG_1978.JPG

Erwin8r
03-12-2006, 02:15 PM
I actually have a JVC kamelion in my car right now, but I really, really miss having an mp3 cd player. I bought the first mp3 cd player on the market in 1999, and I've been hooked ever since. I was thinking of the Sony MP80 , only because it color matches well and isnt too expensive
I use a Clarion DXZ845MC (Music Catcher)--it not only plays MP3's, but can also store up to 6-CD's worth of songs in it's memory; a great way to negate the need for a CD Changer. The color is a nice flat black, and the screen can be changed to a number of colors--the Red looks pretty close to the amber in my bimmer... It was relatively inexpensive, and I've had very good luck with Clarion headunits... my .02

ArtemLepilov
03-12-2006, 02:21 PM
I use an AIWA MP3 - one of the early MP3 decks, got it free cause the PO thought it was broken due to a bad fuse :) I hardly even use it for MP3s - its got an AUX input, so I just plug in the ipod or a laptop and play music off of it like that.

It is good :D

-Artem

BigTed00
03-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Guapo, thats exactly what I'm looking for, what headunit is that

Erwin8r
03-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Guapo, thats exactly what I'm looking for, what headunit is that
That's a Clarion... probably the DXZ745Mp....

gt90
03-12-2006, 02:43 PM
I use a Clarion DXZ845MC (Music Catcher)--it not only plays MP3's, but can also store up to 6-CD's worth of songs in it's memory; a great way to negate the need for a CD Changer. The color is a nice flat black, and the screen can be changed to a number of colors--the Red looks pretty close to the amber in my bimmer... It was relatively inexpensive, and I've had very good luck with Clarion headunits... my .02

I'm thinking about getting that exact same cd player.
Two questions though:
how does it handle scratched cd's?
and does it have a pause button?

BTW Nice wheels ;)

Erwin8r
03-12-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm thinking about getting that exact same cd player.
Two questions though:
how does it handle scratched cd's?
and does it have a pause button?

BTW Nice wheels ;)
It handles scractched CD's just fine... And it does have a pause button...

BigTed00
03-12-2006, 03:15 PM
After reading more about the DXZ745MP, I think thats the deck I'm going to pickup. Did either of you install it yourself? I'm on the fence right now, part of me wants to just install this myself and be done with it, the other part of me wants to spend $300 on audio equipment and just take it to a shop and give them $60 to install it all. what to do, what to do.....

Kalevera
03-12-2006, 11:01 PM
I've always liked the "high end" clarions. The 9255 is practically an audiophile grade unit, and is the same as one of the mcintosh HUs. My 535 currently has a DXZ815mp. A few years old, but it makes what I listen to sound great, and I like the way it looks in the car.

My iX has a mid level Kenwood that I don't like very much. I've stopped listening to music in that car.

best, whit

Erwin8r
03-12-2006, 11:42 PM
After reading more about the DXZ745MP, I think thats the deck I'm going to pickup. Did either of you install it yourself? I'm on the fence right now, part of me wants to just install this myself and be done with it, the other part of me wants to spend $300 on audio equipment and just take it to a shop and give them $60 to install it all. what to do, what to do.....Ted, it might cost more to install if you re-wire the interior speakers directly to the headunit... It's easier to pay someone trustworthy and go have lunch while they wire it.. :D

Guapo
03-12-2006, 11:48 PM
That's a Clarion... probably the DXZ745Mp....

Correctamundo. I simply bought a harness from the local Circuit city and wired it up to stock wiring. It just runs through the stock amp in the trunk. While not audiophile, it's adequate.

Nick.Hay
03-13-2006, 06:36 AM
VDO CD2203

Its all black with orange illumination, and looks perfectly matched in the E34 dash.