PDA

View Full Version : Is this car euro or US-spec?

TC535i
03-18-2004, 08:05 PM
http://e34.de/copyright.php?bild=title.jpg

Those wheels are REALLY euro, but he has US-spec bumper side moldings... but what's up with those rears?? Is that a custom job, or is there another p/n that has rear reflectors built into the molding??

shragon
03-18-2004, 08:17 PM
it's euro.

adding US sidemarker lights to the front and rear sides is a popular mod in europe.

the rear lights in the bumper are rear fog lights, which are required in europe. usually, it's in the tail light itself, however, they probably retrofitted some new ones into the bumper due to the smoked tails.

TC535i
03-18-2004, 08:21 PM
You think that's a custom rear bumper strip? I doubt they're "lights", seems like a lot of work to fit an actual light in there, they look more like "reflectors" to me... If they are custom, that's a really clean job!

e34
03-18-2004, 10:57 PM
Whats the point of the rear fog lights?

Bill R.
03-19-2004, 12:25 AM
area that you would think of as the bumper...

Unregistered
03-19-2004, 01:00 AM
Whats the point of the rear fog lights?
most of them are really bright. guess it helps on those cloudy/rainy mornings on the autobahn. those red lights show up really well, like those F1 races where you can just see the one red light in front of you.

Unregistered
03-19-2004, 01:00 AM
most of them are really bright. guess it helps on those cloudy/rainy mornings on the autobahn. those red lights show up really well, like those bad weather F1 races where you can just see the one red light in front of you.

JohnC
03-19-2004, 01:01 AM
most of them are really bright. guess it helps on those cloudy/rainy mornings on the autobahn. those red lights show up really well, like those bad weathered F1 races where you can just see the one red light in front of you.

Patrick
03-19-2004, 01:44 AM
That always makes me laugh. Some of us are eliminating the sidelights by putting in the euro bumper strips, and some euro owners are replacing their strips with US DOT versions and sidelights -go figure???

Paul in NZ
03-19-2004, 02:17 AM
in the "trunk" configuration.Thats like brake lights.They are too bright in clear situations,Some euro car owners here seem to think its cool to drive with ALL the lights on.Try following a car with brake lights on all the time on a dark night ...its blinding.

shragon
03-19-2004, 12:24 PM
rear fogs really work, if it is foggy.

some people here in the states don't understand them and will think the brake lights are messed up.

a lot of the newer mercedes, audi's, and volvo's in the states have rear fogs. and a lot of them drive with them on when it's clear outside too.

shragon
03-19-2004, 12:27 PM
That always makes me laugh. Some of us are eliminating the sidelights by putting in the euro bumper strips, and some euro owners are replacing their strips with US DOT versions and sidelights -go figure???

yea, people do things to be different.

i still prefer the euro bumper strips tho. looks so much cleaner without those sidemarker lights.

Unregistered
03-19-2004, 03:30 PM
have what they call COURTESY LIGHT, usually found on the drivers side only, used for bad weather visibility.

Those wheels are REALLY euro, but he has US-spec bumper side moldings... but what's up with those rears?? Is that a custom job, or is there another p/n that has rear reflectors built into the molding??

mikey535im
03-19-2004, 04:02 PM
That 'courtesy' light is also refered to as a 'parking light'(hence Driver's side rear) many of the side and back roads are very small in width,paralell parking is very frequent and this low draw light(left on at nights) assists traffic in realizing the vehicle there on dimmly lit side streets.
Mike

Jon K
03-19-2004, 04:51 PM
That 'courtesy' light is also refered to as a 'parking light'(hence Driver's side rear) many of the side and back roads are very small in width,paralell parking is very frequent and this low draw light(left on at nights) assists traffic in realizing the vehicle there on dimmly lit side streets.
Mike

Which is why if you leave your turn signal up or down in an E46 M3, the side you have up or down stays lit :)

Javier
03-19-2004, 04:56 PM
and have no lights at all in the bumpers (Front or rear) nor have a stop light in the rear window, nor have oxigen sensors, nor catalityc converter in the exaust system so it runs in leaded or unleaded fuel. Who know what else should I be missing.

shragon
03-19-2004, 07:54 PM
my family's 84 benz has courtsey lights. lights the amber portion of the rear and front, either on the left or right side.

TC535i
03-20-2004, 12:32 AM
Which is why if you leave your turn signal up or down in an E46 M3, the side you have up or down stays lit :)

I've heard rumors that the E34 will do this as well, if you follow the proper procedure... (something like turn signal on, turn key off, then push signal stalk further, or something?)

Unregistered
03-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Between a courtesy light and parking lights. A Courtesy light is single light as bright as a break light and will only light on the drivers side rear tail, This is generally used in europe when visibility is poor . The parking lights, which Mercedes has on almost all their vehicles will light the either side of the car front and back, This light is used when your car is exposed to incoming traffic when parallel parked.

1993 535i 5spd
1997 MB e320

I've heard rumors that the E34 will do this as well, if you follow the proper procedure... (something like turn signal on, turn key off, then push signal stalk further, or something?)

shragon
03-26-2004, 02:29 PM
http://www.matrixracing.com/images/items-large/BE34CRTLSMK.jpg

yep, looks like the hella smoked tails also comes with a kit to relocate the rear fog lights.

AZ_Jason_S
03-26-2004, 07:50 PM

Notice the Hella smoked taillights? Those rear reflectors are included in the Hella kit for the smoked taillights. I got the smoked Hellas and they came with 2 xtra reflectors, and 1 extra brake light. Plus the templates to cut your bumpers for them. I thought they were totally stupid and so they reside in a box of junk now... I am surprised to see someone installed them, even a geeky German.

AZ_Jason_S
03-26-2004, 07:54 PM
I didn't see Robs pic when I posted, but that is the crap I am talking about... The 2 reflectors are just that reflecors, the other is another brake light to install down by the tow hook cover....