PDA

View Full Version : Installing Interior Neons (alot harder then expected)

McWatters
03-11-2006, 10:56 PM
So today my friend and I wired 2 12inch blue neon lights I hate the cigerate lighter ******** as if you have them plugged in it looks rediculouly ugly therefore i wanted them cleanly installed.. expecting a one our job, was pure stupidity. it took about 4 hours as it was also a learning expieriences and we were easily distracted. To do this cost about 6 dollars, Wire, Switch and electrical tape. (and the cost of neons)

we placed them just about where the drivers and passengers feet would be, just so u cant see the tube and its as if the light is coming from an unknow sournce. Also wired them to a Switch.

if wanted i can give good instructions on how to do this.

THe blue is a sweeet contrast with the orangish of out interiors.

This pic does not do it justice what so ever.(from camera phone)

Cheers

J.McWatters

Alexlind123
03-11-2006, 11:05 PM
I dont see the pic.

dternst
03-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Why did you install neon in a BMW? Why? Why? Why? Why?

632 Regal
03-12-2006, 12:34 AM
he writes on his hood?

Why did you install neon in a BMW? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Qube
03-12-2006, 01:21 AM
I am waiting to install 'cold cathodes' as well. I bought a set of two 18" sticks for just $12 with inverter. I was thinking to hook them up in the footwell as 'courteousy' lights and illuminate when the interior lights do (like when doors open). Haven't gotten around to finding WHERE to tap yet though.

dternst
03-12-2006, 01:30 AM
Why? Why turn a piece of art into a huge pile of shhhhhhh... crap on wheels? BMWs aren't meant to be eaten out of a wok bowl. Where's your dignity? Jeeez!

genphreak
03-12-2006, 01:33 AM
I am waiting to install 'cold cathodes' as well. I bought a set of two 18" sticks for just $12 with inverter. I was thinking to hook them up in the footwell as 'courteousy' lights and illuminate when the interior lights do (like when doors open). Haven't gotten around to finding WHERE to tap yet though.Surely red would go better guys... surely red. I think I'd just use clears... blue is way to frikkin bling. Maybe in a Chrysler yoghurt carton blue tubes would be an improvement to the interior lighting, but not an e34, it already has lights in most of the right places...

Alexlind123
03-12-2006, 02:03 AM
I have thought about strategicaly placed orange leds (behind door handles, etc.).

BigKriss
03-12-2006, 02:10 AM
neons in cars are gay. join up dtm, they will love you.

McWatters
03-12-2006, 02:14 AM
like i said this picture does not do it justice whatsoever.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2088000-2088999/2088933_14_full.jpg

cheers
J.McWatters

BigKriss
03-12-2006, 02:30 AM
when are the external ones coming?

like i said this picture does not do it justice whatsoever.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2088000-2088999/2088933_14_full.jpg

wingman
03-12-2006, 05:31 AM
It's your car McWatters, do what you like with it. If you like having neons in your footwells they look cool. I hope they get you heaps more sex! How's the tat coming along?

McWatters
03-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Im not going to put outter neons on. THey are illegal, as id use blue and that is out "snowplow" machine colour.....

As for the Tat im getting it tuesday :)

cheers

J.McWatters

Qube
03-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Surely red would go better guys... surely red. I think I'd just use clears... blue is way to frikkin bling. Maybe in a Chrysler yoghurt carton blue tubes would be an improvement to the interior lighting, but not an e34, it already has lights in most of the right places...

Mine aren't blue, they're red. They were being cheap sold from TigerDirect.

Hey McW, what wires did you hook them up to? Are they 'always on'?

Torque
03-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Mine aren't blue, they're red. They were being cheap sold from TigerDirect.

Hey McW, what wires did you hook them up to? Are they 'always on'?I'd wire a switch in too, just in case I get sick of them.

NovceGuru
03-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Street racing....
Neons....

Isn't there a scientific name for this, McWatters? :)

McWatters
03-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Yea i wired them to a switch ill post a pic of it, It looks pretty clean and lights up blue when activated ... did require some drilling in the vinyl tho so was kinda scary

cheers

J.McWatters

trumpetr
03-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Neons in an e34???,,,that is just not right. Way to rice.
To quote the new VW ads on the tele,,,,"Time to un-pimp ze auto"...(fling).
Neons belong in toyotas, hondas, and Dodge NEONS....not in a work of art like a bmw e34.

Johntee540
03-13-2006, 04:26 PM
You guys are just cold! - JT

JD525IA
03-13-2006, 05:00 PM
for when you have a hot date that is wearing a skirt. You could possibly determine whether or not she is wearing panties or not. They would have to be white panties and it would make them glow like in a night club. Imagine that bitch sitting there with a glowing crotch. Even better, no glow = no panties. These are like black lights, right? If not, they should be.

Other than that, maybe they help you find the pieces of crack that have fallen outta your pipe.

ha ha ha ha

sKilled
03-13-2006, 05:59 PM
I want to do something like that, but in the rear as the lights in the car a) are horribly insufficient (can't see much but the light) and b) the white light is not the best for your night vision (if you drop someone off at home and you get blinded by the interior lights when they hop out, well your screwed aintcha?)

But I need your help - what colour light is used for the inside bits - is it orange or red - orange? Want my interior lighting to look like that in the new 7 series. Not like a ricing car. It's a classy car that needs classy additions, not to be turnewd into a rice bowl ricer.

wingman
03-13-2006, 07:17 PM
I want to do something like that, but in the rear as the lights in the car a) are horribly insufficient (can't see much but the light) and b) the white light is not the best for your night vision (if you drop someone off at home and you get blinded by the interior lights when they hop out, well your screwed aintcha?)

But I need your help - what colour light is used for the inside bits - is it orange or red - orange? Want my interior lighting to look like that in the new 7 series. Not like a ricing car. It's a classy car that needs classy additions, not to be turnewd into a rice bowl ricer.

The bulbs are orange.

McWatters
03-13-2006, 09:31 PM
lol everyone obviously has their opposing opinions so well just leave it at that, I like my neons, but its deff not taky, no wires or visible bulbs what so ever. Maybe its just my 'rebel' youth. cause i know u older folk had ur 'refer madness' ;)

cheers

J.McWatters

genphreak
03-14-2006, 05:36 AM
lol everyone obviously has their opposing opinions so well just leave it at that... cheers J.McWattersMan its cool, just not everyone's cup of goulash. Well done for not taking it hard, sometimes people do, and you are putting in some labour there on your baby. Be sure to check out this site (http://www.540i6.com/ledlights.html), where LEDs are really put to good use, courtesy of Shogun earlier...

The nice thing about LEDs is that you can vary how many you put in for what use you have, plus can vary the direction of the light output. Also, they don't waste evergy when you are working on the car with the doors open, or make the headliner hot.... I think I might even make some :D Nick

pundit
03-14-2006, 06:00 AM
lol everyone obviously has their opposing opinions so well just leave it at that, I like my neons, but its deff not taky, no wires or visible bulbs what so ever. Maybe its just my 'rebel' youth. cause i know u older folk had ur 'refer madness' ;)

cheers

J.McWatters
Young misguided whippersnappers..... think they know everything! :D

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-14-2006, 02:53 PM
White fibers aren't the only thing that glows under black light.

Eeew..... She could be a Glazed Doughnut

Or

The car interior could glow like a bedspread from a Motel 69

Loppy
03-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Right on man... Sweet mod. Now you can hang out with these guys!

http://www.stuntaz.com/

McWatters
03-14-2006, 03:31 PM
lol thanks man, they look, like straight ballas. **** off. :)

cheers

J.McWatters

Loppy
03-14-2006, 04:37 PM
I'z jus bust'n chops homeboy. :laughing: I remembered stumbling across those jackasses' site awhile back and couldn't resist the link. You have to admit, those asshats are hilarious.

Knock yourself out with those neons. Good luck with that.

cheers

sKilled
03-15-2006, 02:14 AM
The bulbs are orange.

Thankyou kind sir. Will start planning...

SharkmanBMW
03-15-2006, 02:43 AM
for when you have a hot date that is wearing a skirt. You could possibly determine whether or not she is wearing panties or not. They would have to be white panties and it would make them glow like in a night club. Imagine that bitch sitting there with a glowing crotch. Even better, no glow = no panties. These are like black lights, right? If not, they should be.

Other than that, maybe they help you find the pieces of crack that have fallen outta your pipe.

ha ha ha ha

LMFAO!

Incantation
03-15-2006, 05:57 AM
i'd like to see some photos

trumpetr
03-15-2006, 04:56 PM
LMAFO,,,,Im still rolling, at Blitzkrieg Bobs post, about seeing 'other things' light up under UV light,,,,,hmm,,,may not be a bad Idea after all, to install under the passg side,,,,sort of like, date 'quality control',,,,,if she lights up all splotchy,,,at least ya would know what you are 'getting in to", so to speak.
Could save ya heaps on dinner and a movie. Hmm,,,maybe could tie the uv light,,and what it lights up, into the check light,,,,,,then, it could message with... 'GOT RUBBERS?'

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-15-2006, 06:50 PM
New Tattoo will glow

trumpetr
03-15-2006, 09:48 PM
If it does glow,,then it was a way dirty needle.

I just cant see why anyone would put 'rice' stuff, into or onto a quality vehicle...geezz,,if neons are that important,,get a toyota or a honda, then have at it!, While youre at it, put on one of those obnoxious megaphone exhausts, too,,,(one of the 'have to' poser accessories)

hakwuzhere
03-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Right on man... Sweet mod. Now you can hang out with these guys!

http://www.stuntaz.com/

ROFL... these guys are actually members of another forum I visit... they cashed in on the internetzor fame.

www.clubsi.com invented that... and the person (cant remember SN started it)

RE: the neons... bad idea... but its yours, not mine. Do what you want, and if you ever let someone else determine your fate... thats when Ill post some hate...

McWatters
03-15-2006, 10:41 PM
lol trump get over it, its not ur car.

yea ill be takin some quality pics tonight. got the digi out.

cheers

J.McWatters

McWatters
03-15-2006, 11:42 PM
Heres a Pic

In MY opinion its awsome i love it, looks cool on white things.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2088000-2088999/2088933_17_full.jpg

Cheers

J.McWatters

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-15-2006, 11:46 PM
You can see the splooge glowing on the seats

McWatters
03-16-2006, 12:12 AM
dont even get me going on the state of ur seats bob.

cheers

J.McWatters

Alexlind123
03-16-2006, 12:15 AM
I think it looks ok. Personally i would have chosen the BMW orange light color to match the reast of the dash and to lend a sort of aircraft cockpit like feel to it.

genphreak
03-16-2006, 12:29 AM
dont even get me going on the state of ur seats bob. cheers J.McWattersThanks for the pic McW. Be thicker skinned though mate, 'It's all fair in jest'. People are never not gonna give u a hard time, its what they do, and will keep doing for centuries.

I kinda like the effect. I might even try a red LED myself in each footwell, but probably only a single light as I only want a faint, warm glow- and no reflections in the glass at night. :) Nick

McWatters
03-16-2006, 12:34 AM
Yea i considered the orange, but then i really like the contrast of the two colours.

yea LEDs give off a different kind of light.

the neons "glow" more

cheers

J.McWatters

Incantation
03-16-2006, 12:53 AM
looks good dude..

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-16-2006, 01:15 AM
You've been a good sport about all of this...The neons ...Tattoo.

A lesser man would have wrote a resignation to us all and flip us all off ala the UK dude months back.

McWatters
03-16-2006, 09:57 AM
also now that ive wired the basic ****, its easy to add others, so ill be adding 4 more. 2 at the front of the seats , then 2 at the rear for the back passengers.

cheers

J.McWatters