PDA

View Full Version : To get me out of my funk, a review of the new 550i

billb
03-11-2006, 09:33 PM
:D

That sums it up.

I got one today at the Ultimate Drive for the Susan G. Komen Foundation. It had 2 miles on it. 2. Period. My butt was the first consumer butt to sit in this car, and holy-cow. The first 2 miles were put on by the dealer to fill up the gas tank.

Got Web all snugged down in the back seat. Very spacious I might add. His feet didn't touch the front seatback, a definite plus.

Get in, and they all have that cool bong-chime thing going on. Tap the key to engage it and tell the car "I'm here". Foot on brake, press the Engine Start button. Too cool. A little noisy at first crank, but quietened down within a few seconds. Get acquainted with everything. Sunroof open, climate control on auto 68F, iDrive tuned in to satellite radio, with satnav installed. Fiddled with that for a few seconds.

After she warmed up, I of course switched traction control off. Wanted to see what she could do, right governor? :D And this is where it got fun. This thing just goes like it's been shot from a cannon. I can imagine this is what you E34 M5 guys go through...4.8L, 360hp @6300, Valvetronic, Active Roll Stabilization, All Season Traction, double vanos (of course), 3814 lbs. unladen, 360 lb-ft torque@3400, 0-60 published 5.5 sec.

It stops just as well as it goes. Very comfortable car at all speeds, but that engine, my goodness! It sang to me. I might see if the driver of the 550 tomorrow wants to swap with me at a rest stop (I'll be in the Z4 3.0si)

iDrive gets easier and easier to navigate. I drove a 325xiT with the standard business CD, and I couldn't figure out how to work it! iDrive was much easier to me.

I do wish they had water temp gauges though...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/tarheelbimmer/oh%20deer/757a2220.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/tarheelbimmer/oh%20deer/419a4170.jpg

Paul in NZ
03-11-2006, 09:39 PM
i drove a 530d recently and was "underwhelmed" by the interior,even tho it had the sport package
Dont be blue Bill.Perfect opportunity to get some cheap paintwork......When i got rearended,I got the stone chips on the grill done and had the front lip resprayed....

Traian
03-11-2006, 11:06 PM
3814 lb? Wow, what a featherweight. Sounds lovely, but they are like $80,000 here it TO w/o options. Hmm, need a gasping smiley... I shall buy one in 2020.