PDA

View Full Version : New to forums and need help

NitrousO
03-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi, first I want to say Im new to the forums here. Recently I started to take more and more interest in the BMW 1995 525 that was sort of passed down to me from my dad. I started simply cleaning it and it is slowly escalating in to an all out attempt to fix everything that's broken. I know nothing about cars so I have been piecing how to fix the parts together from random guides. At the moment I am trying to replace the plastic shift boot that comes standard. I know how to replace it once I get the panel up. Problem is that I can't get the screw out of gear shifter knob. I used a 3mm allen wrench and unscrewed it all the way, except that it still isn't coming out. I widened the hole in the leather a little but it still won't come out and I don't want to risk damaging anything. Anyone want to tell me what I missed?

Paul in NZ
03-11-2006, 09:43 PM
I think the gear knob just comes straight up .Auto or manual?

DaveVoorhis
03-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Assuming it isn't stripped, the screw is probably being held in by the leather and doesn't have to come out all the way. Once it's loose, lift up on the knob and it should pop out.

If it is stripped, try gluing a cheap allen key into the screw with epoxy, let it set firmly, then unscrew it while gently pulling outward on the key.

NitrousO
03-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Its not stripped and I have it out as far as It will come. Im thinking of cutting the leather around it but Im reluctant. How hard do you have to pull up on it once it's unscrewed?

DaveVoorhis
03-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Before you cut the leather (which will probably fray afterward) try plucking out the screw with a pair of needle nose pliers.

It shouldn't take much effort to remove the knob. Less than 10lbs force should do it.

NitrousO
03-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Before you cut the leather (which will probably fray afterward) try plucking out the screw with a pair of needle nose pliers.

It shouldn't take much effort to remove the knob. Less than 10lbs force should do it.

Got it out :)
Man you guys reply dang fast.