PDA

View Full Version : Know any Boise Idaho BMW transmission mechanics?

Smitty
03-11-2006, 06:03 PM
I have a 94' 540i with some transmission issues. It acts like it needs some oil but found out its a sealed transmission. Slow to go until it warms up then goes ok. No clunking, no bad noises, no error messages from computer. I have been told to go see Economy Transmissions. It has a A5S 560Z automatic transmission with the 4.0 liter engine. Any Boise contacts anyone can suggest?

mholbrook
03-11-2006, 08:37 PM
You mean to tell me there is another E34 gearhead up here in the Boise area.
What have the guru brothers Hurless had to say on the matter?

Contact me man! 208-871-1122

Smitty
03-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Mr. Holbrook,

I have another name to include with the Hurless Brothers, its a German import repair shop on Chindon Ave "Wagon Works" 5310 Chinden Blvd. Garden City. The name is Phil Arnot(?) something like that. I got this contact from some great guys in the car repair business who only work on domestic brand cars. I was wondering if you had heard of Wagon Works or knew any scuttle butt about this shop. I know you might have already left for Colorado.

Smitty

Smitty
03-20-2006, 01:24 PM
You mean to tell me there is another E34 gearhead up here in the Boise area.
What have the guru brothers Hurless had to say on the matter?

Contact me man! 208-871-1122

Mr Holbrook,

I hope your trip to Colorado was without incident, they got really dumped on this morning (Monday 20th) and terrible driving conditions. Here's an update on my 540i situation. Hurless referred me to Aamco Transmission. The transmission man's name at Aamco is name Mike Munson. Mike said I got a transmission computer error code 12, and said it indicated something to do with the A / D or S / A switch that is next to the transmission shifter, the slider switch that you push up on down and changes the transmission shifting patterns. Mike said the code did not give up much more information than that, that the BMW mechanic world guards these trade secrets carefully and all he can do is contact his network for possible pin pointing problem solving. Mike said he didn't like to swap parts untill the problem goes away. He said NO ONE around here really knows these transmissions like you said they do in California. So, we decided to rebuild the valve assembly, drain and refill with new tranny oil (the car holds almost 13 liters, something like that) and repair any leaks. He said he can do all this and have the car back to me by Thursday worst case, all for approximately $800. He said if later the transmission has to be rebuilt, the oil and valve rebuild can be reused. So we agreed to do this because the car only did this one time and he's not sure what it is. He pulled the pan and he said it looked great and the tranny oil isn't burnt and COULD be reused but with the rebuilt valve assemble will use new oil. HERE'S a TECH TIP. If your tires are not EXACTLY the same size, exactly, this will cause the car to shift weird. Expecially if the different size tires are on either the front together or on the back together. I learned that. But regardless, I have 150,000 miles on the transmission and new oil and rebuilt valve assembly could be considered preventitive maintanence. He said it should drive and shift great after he's through with it. He seemed very concerned with protecting his reputation with the Hurless brothers. This man wasn't arogant or impatient with me. I can't find one thing so far to object to with this mechanic. So thanks for the tip of going to Hurless Brothers.

Smitty Manning 514-7712.