PDA

View Full Version : Checking oil pressure @ 6100 rpm

Rustam
03-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Well that's what I would like to do... However, I am precluded from going ahead by a rumor (?) that revving with 4hp22eh may not be good idea - the transmission may break. Does someone know about this issue? How much is this a rumor? Do I have to get wild by suspending the rear of the car to rev up in gear?

winfred
03-11-2006, 11:14 AM
screw in a cheep mechanical gauge and go for a ride, not exactly why you'd want to check the op at that high a rpm as the relef valve will pretty much hold it at a constant pressure after the pressure comes up after a couple k rpm

632 Regal
03-11-2006, 01:02 PM
the rumor is a rumor as far as I can tell but have also read that some trannies fail after doing such in park or neutral. either way I dont want to be a ginuea pig to confirm either way.

Alexlind123
03-11-2006, 02:20 PM
if it isnt just a rumor, jacking up the rear wheels might not do any good.

Gayle
03-11-2006, 02:48 PM
I don't know about the the transmission, but my car suffered a broken rocker arm and underwent an upper engine rebuild as a result of being over reved. (Before it belonged to me).

Rustam
03-12-2006, 12:10 AM
I don't know about the the transmission, but my car suffered a broken rocker arm and underwent an upper engine rebuild as a result of being over reved. (Before it belonged to me).

I had same thing happen to my car - but no such thing as "overreved" occured - the valve clearance was too great, so the rocker got hit by the cam at greater momentum (i.e. more torque in a given instant of time)
----

Now if I drained the transmission fluid would all come down or some still stay in the torque converter?

632 Regal
03-12-2006, 12:32 AM
lots of fluid will remain...in everything but the pan.

Now if I drained the transmission fluid would all come down or some still stay in the torque converter?

bahnstormer
03-12-2006, 12:48 PM
just stick it in 1st or 2nd and go on the road
have passenger record teh pressures =\

Rustam
03-13-2006, 12:29 AM
just stick it in 1st or 2nd and go on the road
have passenger record teh pressures =\

yes, this brilliant idea came to me earlier today... and i shall be that passenger.
Thank you