PDA

View Full Version : Trans slipping problem!

Calico_NC
03-11-2006, 02:43 AM
I have a 1995 525i. I have a problem. When driving, everything is fine, but when I come to a quick stop, something happens. A heavy shift like feeling occurs and then a few seconds later, it pops into gear. It doesn't feel smooth at all. this only happens when i come to a quick stop. When I try and accelerate after the stop, it feels as if the tranny slips for a couple of seconds (like 3 or 4 seconds) then it suddenly kicks in.

WHATS GONIG ON WITH IT?

632 Regal
03-11-2006, 08:50 AM
low trans fluid or an aftermarket filter that sits too high in the pan.

Calico_NC
03-11-2006, 10:13 AM
so do i just add more trans fluid to the "ATF Only" container or do i have to do something else? Also, what kind of trans fluid?

Bill R.
03-11-2006, 10:20 AM
power steering fluid container. To check your car this is the procedure and it must be followed correctly, too much fluid is just as harmful as too littlehttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/translevel-1.jpg

so do i just add more trans fluid to the "ATF Only" container or do i have to do something else? Also, what kind of trans fluid?

Bill R.
03-11-2006, 10:22 AM
top listing herehttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/transfluid1.jpg

power steering fluid container. To check your car this is the procedure and it must be followed correctly, too much fluid is just as harmful as too littlehttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/translevel-1.jpg

632 Regal
03-11-2006, 01:06 PM
thats always a shocker when you find out its a chore to check that fluid ...lol

Calico_NC
03-11-2006, 01:27 PM
BILL R_----On step five of the procedures above, where do u add more oil to?

Calico_NC
03-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Also where can this fluid be bought?

ericbendler
02-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Damn. I wish there were more posts on this. I have the exact same problem. I hope that it is the automatic tranny fluid.

markus
02-01-2007, 09:55 PM
yea the autobox is the shittiest part of the E34. I cant wait to swap a manual in.

dana
02-02-2007, 01:32 AM
I had the same problem.
Changed solenoid and now it is gone.

Spasso
02-02-2007, 02:22 AM
Which solenoid? Can you find it on RealOEM?

John B.
02-02-2007, 09:47 AM
"On step five of the procedures above, where do u add more oil to?"

You pump the Dextron 3, which is available at any auto parts store, in through the fill hole shown in the diagram. If yours is low you must have a leak so you might want to fix that at the same time. This would be a good excuse to dump the old fluid & change the filter which should be done every 50k or so.

Alpinewhite
02-02-2007, 11:37 AM
My car had the same problem. After I changed filter and refilled Tranny to level its gone. I am pretty sure my tranny was low on fluid because it took 5 1/2 qts when I refilled instead of normal 4 qts.

When it is low on tranny fluid. What happens is when you hit the break some fluid goes to the front of tranny due to inertia. And this leaves the hydraulic shift mechanisms fluid starved and they wont shift. After the fluid settles (1 or 2 sec later) tranny shifts normally. This is not good attend to it immediately. Change filter, pan gasket and fill tranny to level. Better DIY, AFAIK most of the mechs dont check the level according to procedure. They just fill the pan when cold and seal it period (This will tranny atleast a qt low on fluid).

Inspect the old filter, Magnets in the pan and old fluid to know the state of the tranny.

Good luck
Arun

Tiger
02-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Same hole Regular Dextron III sold anywhere.