PDA

View Full Version : Michelin MXV8 any body use them?

wingman
03-10-2006, 09:51 PM
I've just made an order for the Michelin MXV8. The previous owner of my car put H raters (Michelin Certis) on there which are non-compliant. does anybody use these tyres? I'm running stock bottle caps with 205/65 15 rubber which suit me fine and these seem to be top notch for this size.

Boom n Zoom
03-11-2006, 10:12 AM
I've just made an order for the Michelin MXV8. The previous owner of my car put H raters (Michelin Certis) on there which are non-compliant. does anybody use these tyres? I'm running stock bottle caps with 205/65 15 rubber which suit me fine and these seem to be top notch for this size.

Wingman,

the MXV8's are a very good tyre, I had a set (in 225/60 15's) on the XR8 it is a heavy car, but still lighter than the 5 series. I was able to clock almost 50,000kms on that set running them at 38psi front and 36psi rear, rotated them front to rear every 5000kms. They were still shy of the wear indicators by about 2 - 3 mm when I replaced them.

So yes I feel I can recommend them, though they are a 'touring' tyre, they won't let you down for grip wet or dry, but they have a higher flex in the sidewall than some other tyres which can feel like 'vagueness' in the steering.

I don't know if that will be an issue for you at all, but a very good choice of tyre.

:)
Boom n Zoom.

myles
03-11-2006, 05:37 PM
I have them on my car at the moment. I think I've done around 35,000km on them so far, and I don't think that I'm half way through the tread yet. They are not a performance tyre, but the have great wet and dry grip, quiet and smooth. I've never lost traction with them. I think I paid around $125each about 3 years ago, how much are they now?

Zeuk in Oz
03-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Tony,
With all due respect to the MXVs, may I strongly suggest 225/60/15 will suit your wheels better and will allow you to run Pilot HX MXM tyres which I feel are absolutely fantastic.
I have them on my E34 and they were OEM on a Volvo 850 AWD I owned.
You can see them here :
http://www.michelin.com.au/tyres/default_tyreSelector.asp
Type in the size : 225 : 60 : 15
This will give you a comparison between the 2.
They are dearer than the MXV8 but a much better tyre, IMHO.
PM me if you want some idea of real world prices !
I cannot state strongly enough how good these tyres are !

Cheers,
Bo

wingman
03-11-2006, 09:14 PM
I have them on my car at the moment. I think I've done around 35,000km on them so far, and I don't think that I'm half way through the tread yet. They are not a performance tyre, but the have great wet and dry grip, quiet and smooth. I've never lost traction with them. I think I paid around $125each about 3 years ago, how much are they now?

About $150 fitted and balanced. The traits that you mention are what I'm looking for so that's good. Thanks for your help.