PDA

View Full Version : Fixed the valvecover leak, stalling - now more problems.. GRRR

ArtemLepilov
03-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Alright, I fixed the valvecover leak and replaced all the hoses in the car, as well as ****in around with the ICV. The car runs now, though it was not starting for a bit - found out that some of the fuel injectors werent connected, hit the contacts to the injectors hard - they clicked in, and I was starting... now after that the RPM meter was through the roof - literally it was going past 8 and the 9k RPM... yet the car was acting like a normal idle, i reconnected a bunch of sensors and it is fine now. The problem is - when it idles and goes lower than 1k RPM in general it is very very rough... like really rough.. the car is shaking - i dont think it ever was like that and I can hear the engine when driving - couldnt hear it previously. I do have an exhaust leak but i am saying - more so than that leak. Does anyone have any idea what it is??

-Thank you, Artem

wingman
03-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Is it firing in all cylinders?

ArtemLepilov
03-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Is it firing in all cylinders?

Thats what im worried about... it seems not to - how do i figure out which ones arent firing?

(Probably one of the cylinders isnt firing...)

Should I just pull coils one by one?
As in - is there an easier way to tell?

I didnt even know cars could run with a non-firing cylinder... Posts like firing on 3 cylinders seemed crazy to me

-Artem

wingman
03-10-2006, 10:16 PM
I have to bow out of this one as I run an M20. I would pull the plugs leads one by one on my car but it may be different on yours with the coils.

ArtemLepilov
03-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Yea, my car has i think 12V wires going into coils. The valvecover was leaking so i suspect one f the coils to be flooded with oil.

At least my fuel system is ok for now..

PS - Anyone with a parts 525I holler at me - I want to take a whole suspension off of one.

-Artem

ArtemLepilov
03-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Ok, today - tried checking the coils, but when i pull them the car just idles rougly as before. I have no idea what to do at this point. - Do I need new coils? do those things go bad? what can it be?

-Artem

ArtemLepilov
03-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Could it be the fuel injection's system's fault? anything?... Im really lost here - im even considering getting rid of the car and buying a civic or something... :(

-Artem

Gayle
03-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Could it be the fuel injection's system's fault? anything?... Im really lost here - im even considering getting rid of the car and buying a civic or something... :(

-Artem

Keep the faith Artem. Don't touch that civic.

I have seen people with frustrating intracible problems that it took a long to fix but with the help here, they worked it out. For example, Pyro had terrible problems with his car when he first got it. One of his early threads on had 56 posts and spanned 2 weeks and it doesn't even get to the end of the problem which is covered in another thread. The point is there is enough help here to get you through this if you can hang in there.

Example of the extensive help you can get here with patience (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12087)

632 Regal
03-11-2006, 03:08 PM
if you pull all the plugs, lay them in order you should be able to isolate the missing cylinder, then repost and well see what to do next.

ArtemLepilov
03-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Will try.. im running out of ideas here - my car starts and even drives.. but very very roughly - the thing shakes unbelievably, especially close to but under 1000RPM... I know one of the cylinders isnt firing, but what can I do to fix that?

-Artem

ArtemLepilov
03-11-2006, 03:17 PM
will try to pull the plugs in a sec.

-Artem

ArtemLepilov
03-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Ok... the coils seem fine - engine turns on differently when i use differnt plugs... As in when i remove one it will be different than before, in some cases - it even stalls, so yea... Idle is still pretty rough. Not as rough as with some of these plugs removed, but still rough.

What else can it be?

-Artem

632 Regal
03-11-2006, 04:15 PM
well if the plugs all look the same the next option would be to either do a compression test or pull the valve cover and see if anything is broken, it still would be nice to know what cylinder/s are not firing first.

ArtemLepilov
03-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Well, I can get some known working coils today (part number is the same, off an E34 540I). Would I be able to stick them in there and solve the problem, if thats the case?

All of the hoses are connected and the car is running fine. I pulled the fuel rail though to remove the intake manifold. Could that cause anything? - Injectors/fuel rail? It was running better before i replaced all the hoses.

I know for a fact valvecover is fine, nothing is broken underneath it, compression test was done a few thousand miles ago and I havent done anything that would affect/alter its outcome.

-Artem

ArtemLepilov
03-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Got it - the spark plug in the cylinder 4 has no activity - i pulled them one by one to clean then and to see if thats causing it . I do not know if its the coil or the fuel injector or what, but cylinder 4 is the problem. I really hope its not the injector... I donkt know what to do in that case. They should be all working..

-Let me know if anyone has any more ideas now that the "quiet" cylinder was found...

ArtemLepilov
03-11-2006, 06:29 PM
PS - I swapped the coils a few times... so if i got extremely lucky and got the same coild on there, thats it - othervise, im pretty sure the coil on there is different, and they it prolly works.

-Artem

632 Regal
03-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Pop in a new plug first to be sure that isn't the problem, if not I would go the coil pack.

ArtemLepilov
03-11-2006, 08:35 PM
New plug popped in... Plug was fine... Gettn new coils tomorrow.

-Artem

ryan roopnarine
03-11-2006, 10:39 PM
vines ebay store will sell you a used fuel rail with 6 M50 injectors plus FPR for $30, a bad injector isn't that bad financially. you can test them by listening to them for the click and hooking a noid light up to the wire harness.

ArtemLepilov
03-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Great! If the coil thing doesnt work out ill get the injectors then.

Thank you all :)

-Artem

Ill keep you updated tomorrow if the coils solves it..

Rustam
03-12-2006, 02:13 AM
Great! If the coil thing doesnt work out ill get the injectors then.

Thank you all :)

-Artem

Ill keep you updated tomorrow if the coils solves it..

have you checked the wires to the coils? have you checked for alternating current at the coils when the engine is idling?