PDA

View Full Version : Whole car shakes after bottoming out

Decius
03-10-2006, 08:01 PM
-

632 Regal
03-10-2006, 08:18 PM
seems wierd that its rpm related when not in gear, does it do this when the car is sitting still too? I would guess that the driveshaft or guibo or support collar got damaged but I dont see how it could effect the actual engine balance.

Maybe the flywheel was messed up or bent or something.

Decius
03-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Yep Does it shakes when the car is sitting still too.. only a little bit when idle, but if u rev to about 2000rpm its really shaking. Im taking to the mechanic next week for some unrelated work, so ill see what he says i guess,
Cheers

Alexlind123
03-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Is your car cirrusblau?

Decius
03-10-2006, 08:44 PM
yep.. and the spoiler is e39 cirrusblau.. a few shades off unfortunatly

winfred
03-10-2006, 09:43 PM
willing to bet you have a broken motor mount, tranny mount or both

Jr ///M5
03-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Nice color. I agree with Winfred about the broken motor mount. Count the number of fan blades on your fan. You should have 11 (eleven) ...sometimes when a motor mount breaks, depending on which side, the engine can torque and run the fan into the shroud. This will break off a blade or two and can cause an unbalanced condition.

Decius
03-10-2006, 10:41 PM
you guys really know your **** hey!!

I just had a look and i counted the blades... 4 have broken off, i had a look at the bonnet and theres a few tiny dents and the paints the slightest bit cracked.
Thanks guys.. what to do now though, take it to a mechanic and see i guess.
how much for a new fan??

what should i do with the crack in the paint??

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl4sbl/Image008.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl4sbl/Image000.jpg

Cheers
Dan

Alexlind123
03-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Yikes, those are some nasty dents. You might try a paintless dent removal place, but they might not be able to remove such "sharp" dents. I really dont know, but i would ask around at places like that. Look on www.bmaautoparts.com for a new fan. I also wouldnt drive anymore with the fan like that, more blades could fly off and damage bodywork.

wingman
03-11-2006, 02:38 AM
Hey guys,
I bottomed my car out pretty bad going through an intersection :( , the underbody i think hit the ground. Cheers guys
Dan

How the f**k do you get your car to bottom out at an intersection??? You must have been motoring!

Jr ///M5
03-11-2006, 05:24 AM
A 32 mm wrench will loosen the nut on the fan clutch. It is a left handed thread so make sure you hold back on the fan pulley. BMW makes a special tool to hold the pulley in place while backing off the 32 mm nut. You might be able to fashion something like using a screwdriver across the bolts and jamming a rag in between the fan pulley and the belt. The 32 mm wrench, is a thin side type that will fit into the small clearance area. Without a hold back on the pulley, it will probably spin. Usually a quick sharp blow with a small hammer on the 32 mm wrench will break the nut loose. Once it's loose, remove the fan clutch along with the broken fan. You will probably have to remove the radiator shroud to have room to get the new one in. Hopefully the fan clutch is not damaged, if it is, it will need to be replaced.

Other members in Australia have had good luck ordering parts from BMA as Alex indicated. You can use an aftermarket fan blade as shown on their site, to save some money. The fan clutch is rather pricey though for the 535, and usually runs about $125 USD. Determine if you have a broken motor mount and transmission mount so you can get those ordered also.

I wouldn't drive the car any in this condition, you can screw things up. The engine needs to be balanced, and this will put undue stress on the crank, not to mention all the other accessories.

Try one of the paint-less dent repairs in your area, they might be able to touch up the paint after the dent is repaired. To do it right, they will want to respray the hood. Also, check with your insurance to see if this is a covered mishap on the road. You might be surprised...

Good luck, hope this helps...
Jr

632 Regal
03-11-2006, 08:47 AM
special fan removal tool"

http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/Fan%20removal%20tool.jpg