PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Removal

Kobe Diesel
03-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Ok, at a stand still here. The tank is out, have new tank next to it. I looked over the drawing on ETK to see if there was screws, nuts, etc but do not see any. I tried to pull on it - nothing, twisting it - nothing. Dont want to break anything.

Any tips?

TIA

David Shealey
03-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Ok, at a stand still here. The tank is out, have new tank next to it. I looked over the drawing on ETK to see if there was screws, nuts, etc but do not see any. I tried to pull on it - nothing, twisting it - nothing. Dont want to break anything.

Any tips?

TIA

If yours is like my '94, there are two plastic tabs sticking up, you have to press these in pretty far, and wiggle the pump back and forth to break it loose, then it pulls out of the holder in the tank. Make sure you look at the alignment before removing it, then put it back in the same way, press down until the tabs snap back into position to retain it, otherwise it may vibrate up.

632 Regal
03-10-2006, 01:55 PM
im not sure what your saying but is this what you need to look at?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=16_0190&hg=16&fg=05

Kobe Diesel
03-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Jeff, yes that is the drawing Im referring to, and I have the pump model as shown in the middle.

David, thanks for the advice. I'll look for the clips and try it as soon as I get home.

David Shealey
03-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Jeff, yes that is the drawing Im referring to, and I have the pump model as shown in the middle.

David, thanks for the advice. I'll look for the clips and try it as soon as I get home.

I have always replaced the whole assembly, Number 6 in the ETK picture. You can get just the pump, but it is a little difficult to remove from the outer plastic ring, and you don't save much money.

The teo tabs are seen in the picture sticking up above the outer ring. Press these in to release them from the main holder, wiggle the whole assembly while pulling up. Sometimes they take a little persuasion to break loose, then they lift out easily.

saj3n
03-10-2006, 07:19 PM
I replaced the fuel pump and was actually able to get the outer ring off without too much trouble.

I followed the instructions below step by step... Wasn't too much of a problem at all...

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/engine/FuelPump.htm

Kobe Diesel
03-11-2006, 01:18 AM
It's out - thank you all...