PDA

View Full Version : Check for ignition?

David Shealey
03-09-2006, 01:03 PM
I have a dead 1994 525i, and am checking things to see what keeps if from even trying to start. I will be checking fuel pressure, easy enough, but wondering what is the best way to check for spark. Could I just hook up one coil pack, put a spark plug in it and ground the plug, then crank the engine over and watch the plug?

I have never had one of these coil over plug engines before, and always just pulled a plug wire to check for ignition.

Any danger to the ECU cranking the engine over with coils removed?

laguner
03-11-2006, 02:14 PM
This may not be the best way to do it but if you have an inductive timing light, you could see if there is spark going to each wire. I'm guessing the light won't strobe if there is no spark.

ryan roopnarine
03-11-2006, 02:57 PM
pull the fuel (electrically) and yeah, you can do it that way, it won't hurt it any.
disclaimer: YMMV, it worked for me.

David Shealey
03-11-2006, 03:09 PM
This may not be the best way to do it but if you have an inductive timing light, you could see if there is spark going to each wire. I'm guessing the light won't strobe if there is no spark.

No wires. This is an M50, with coils over plugs.

David Shealey
03-11-2006, 03:10 PM
pull the fuel (electrically) and yeah, you can do it that way, it won't hurt it any.
disclaimer: YMMV, it worked for me.

Thanks. I assumed it would not hurt anything, since the ECU is "sinking" the coil current, nor "sourcing" it.