PDA

View Full Version : 3 stupid questions

Loppy
03-09-2006, 12:28 PM
First one, the one and only thing that does not work on my car is the window washer fluid pump. I hit it, no squirt. All my fuses are good. What would be the first thing you would tackle?

Second, I can smell coolant. Mostly when I run the defroster, and it's not bad, but I can certainly smell it. I've had heater cores go on me before and usually the smell is associated with moisture and more fogging of the window. Everything works perfectly, no fog, defroster works great. I just get the smell. And the coolant level has not receeded that I can see. Any ideas?

Last, and perhaps the most stupid... The "ATS" button. I know its the traction control deal. But when you switch it off, does it change anything but the traction control?

Thanks bruddahs!

DaCan23
03-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Do you hear any noise w/ using washer fluid? If not the pump, and a new one is cheap, or your lines are clogged.

A preliminary heater core failure may not fog the windows. You maybe have 6-12 months before it will. I put my core replacement off for one year when I frist noticed it.... but the fumes are toxic... if you have kids you should do it soon.

kyleN20
03-09-2006, 01:07 PM
yeah, if you can hear the puump working its either your lines are cloged, or pissibly crimped or bent. also it could be the sprayer nozzels are clogged, and what i did when i had that was just stick a small pin down it and clean it out. otherwise you might want to check connections to the pump, it they are good its the pump itself, just find one at a scrap yard, ought to be cheap.

Loppy
03-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I think you are right. I think the smell is a clear indication that the core is evaporating a small leak somwhere in it. I'm dreading it, casue most cars I've had they are a major PITA to get to. Shite.

thanks for the tips, will pull apart the lines when I get home.

DaCan23
03-09-2006, 01:57 PM
The core replacement sucks, but it's not that bad, just a lot of work. Reason we complain about it so much is because of all the pieces to be removed, time, and finagling the stupid pipes in & out of the firewall.

Biggest piece of advice I can give.... make sure you dont forget to put all the pieces back... I woulda had mine done in a day but after putting things back together for 90mins I found a vent flap I missed and had to back track.... Was soooo pissed.

If you need new washer nozzles they are not that expensive, but what you need to consider is if you have heated nozzles or not, I think the heated ones were in the cold weather winter package w/ heated seats.

And if you do the nozzles, consider picking up a few clips for the heat shield on the hood.... I think I broke 4 or so removing it..

Also if you replace the pump... for some reason a new pump even on a new washer tank tends to leak... best way to fix that is use some plumbers teflon tape on the pump to tank connection.

Yeah, I think you are right. I think the smell is a clear indication that the core is evaporating a small leak somwhere in it. I'm dreading it, casue most cars I've had they are a major PITA to get to. Shite.

thanks for the tips, will pull apart the lines when I get home.

Loppy
03-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks Da Can. Good stuff to know. They all have their little quirks. This is one of those projects that kills an entire day and a lot of cussing later, after its all done you could do it again in about 1/3 of the time.