PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Problems and Injector Noise

athflying79
03-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Well, recently I changed my coolant hoses. Bleed system per Bentley (have done before), but didn't drive for a couple weeks because of other work I was doing. Drove home last night and started to overheat, pulled over and killed the engine, was in the red for barely 10 seconds. It was definitely hot, cracked the bleeder screw and air hissed out. Let it hiss till fluid came out and went about my merry way. It did this maybe 3 more times, each time I could drive longer without the needle climbing. The coolant temp warning only came on twice, every other time I saw it climbing and pulled over and killed the engine immediately. It didn't take this much to bleed before, but definitely seems to be a lot of air in the system. Secondly and this is what concerns me the most, I would see some white smoke from the exhaust when it got hot. It would go away after a minute and she never ran rough. Just wondering if the engine was hot enough to steam out some built up moisture or if it could be the BG44k running through my tank right now (I only saw it twice of the 4 times or so this happened). I pray it's not the headgasket. I checked the oil and so far no milk and never ran rough. Not sure if it's loosing coolant because I keep having to bleed some. My plan is to get all the air out of the system and then keep an eye on the coolant and watch out for milky oil.

Secondly, the noise I thought was the valvetrain seems to be my injectors. If I put my ear right over the valve cover, the noise seems to come from the injectors. The noise increases with RPM's but as soon as I let off the throttle the noise almost disappears. What is the best way to isolate the noise?? I can borrow just about anything from the mechanics at work, because don't have any stethoscope type listening device myself.

athflying79
03-09-2006, 03:50 PM
I hope I'm getting no replies because no one has a good answer.....not because I'm screwed!!!

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Enough the first time.

After a total drain of the coolant, it takes some work to get the head full of coolant again. (1st time took me two hours and 6 beers)

Next time park the car on a slant nose up, and add some coolant to the block through one of the blind plugs at the top of the head/water neck, this fill help fill the air pockets.

I got noisy injectors too-much louder than the valve train, but the ticking is going by the injector pulse rate. Too lazy/busy to drop in a new set still sitting on the self. A new set only cost @$200

athflying79
03-12-2006, 07:34 AM
I have a new valve cover gasket on the way. Going to make me a remote starter so I can make sure the valve train is getting the oil it needs. Also going to recheck my clearances. If that doesn't take care of it, guess some new injectors from five-0 will be on the way soon. As long as the headgasket is ok:( . Going to check things out today now that I finally have a day off.