PDA

View Full Version : Hi all...just bought my first!

Medz
03-09-2006, 02:29 AM
Hi everyone, I'm Paul from Melbourne, Australia.

Well today I just put a deposit on my very first Bimmer (long time dream!).
It's nothing too special, got quite a few km's on the clock (240k), but it looks nice, seems to have been well looked after and it's sweet to drive. Gotta start somewhere.

Here's a couple of photos of my new 525i...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f377/Medz84/525ifront.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f377/Medz84/525iback.jpg

Any comments? I'd love to know what you guys think?

Pretty much stock all over, just been lowered with some King Springs and the 18inch M sport wheels.

ArtemLepilov
03-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Sweet, welcome to the family. :)

Cant say that I approve on those E39 M5 wheels over the M-Parallels but they are still nice. Too flashy i gues --> look better on the E39. Car looks good, very clean.

240K KMs is not too bad. Whats going on with your rear though? Has it been lowered? what kind of performance upgrades do you have in the car?

-Artem

Medz
03-09-2006, 02:37 AM
Stock as a rock except for the King springs. I agree on the wheels to be honest, I might ditch them in favour of a nice set of 17's. All in good time though.

SC David
03-09-2006, 02:38 AM
Looks great! Remember to put the info about your car next to your name so that people will know what car you're talking about in later threads.

ArtemLepilov
03-09-2006, 02:41 AM
The rear looks a bit too low... But thats just my opinion.. The wheels are very popular in the E39 market. I suggest the Honeycomb BBS stock 740I wheels. Those look great on the cars --> E34s, if you dont care about the size of the rims. You may be able to make up the whole price of the car just by selling the wheels :D

-Artem

rob101
03-09-2006, 02:44 AM
Stock as a rock except for the King springs. I agree on the wheels to be honest, I might ditch them in favour of a nice set of 17's. All in good time though.
hehe sounds like you need yourself some throwing star wheels like the ones on my car in my signature.

word of advice it helps everyone out here if you put your model and year in your signature or profile....... I am wondering what year you have if you have a m20 or m50:p

SC David
03-09-2006, 02:56 AM
hehe sounds like you need yourself some throwing star wheels like the ones on my car in my signature.

word of advice it helps everyone out here if you put your model and year in your signature or profile....... I am wondering what year you have if you have a m20 or m50:p
Looks to be an M20 by the badging.

Medz
03-09-2006, 02:57 AM
Anyone know what the 18's that are on there now might sell for?

shogun
03-09-2006, 03:02 AM
Prices depend on the country. In OZ they are probably more expensive than in other countries because of import duty etc.

wingman
03-09-2006, 03:31 AM
Hi Medz! Great to see another Aussie on here. Particularly one with an M20 525i (Come on guys it's a 1989 you know it's an M20!!!) I agree though that in your sig you should have the year and k's. Just makes it a bit easier to help you out. Fill out your profile brother and tell us more about yourself. Nice car. I hope it brings you much pleasure.

mattyb
03-09-2006, 04:35 AM
welcome! very special indeed. 240k is fine just run in. agree with the others about the wheels. not too many about with 18's. how about some inside pics.

anderson
03-09-2006, 07:09 AM
nice car i like your wheels

Medz
03-09-2006, 07:12 AM
I actually haven't picked it up just yet, I put a deposit down on the car today and I'll be picking it up on Tuesday. I'll get some more pics together then...Can't wait!

theurig
03-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Mannn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys didn't welcome me like this !!!! I just bought my first Beemer too about 4 weeks ago!!! (Long time Dream too!!) Love the car. Really well maintained!!! Only thing is the bulb that illuminates the on board computer just went out, and also the bulb that illuminates the temp gauge. !!!!
This forum is just great by the way!!!!

Check her out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4607098073&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

saj3n
03-09-2006, 11:24 AM
The guys here are the best of help! You started off right by joining the most helpful and informative forum in the <b>WORLD!!!!</b> :)

I have a set of 18"s on mine... just incase you cared to see... ;)

http://www.jasenhudson.com/IMG_0007.jpg

http://www.jasenhudson.com/IMG_0038-crop.jpg

Erwin8r
03-09-2006, 12:29 PM
I do see an aftermarket splitter on the front... and it looks like you have the side running lights from a later model on your front fender? Or maybe they were specified in Oz earlier than in the US? Looks like a great car...

Erwin8r
03-09-2006, 12:34 PM
The guys here are the best of help! You started off right by joining the most helpful and informative forum in the <b>WORLD!!!!</b> :)

I have a set of 18"s on mine... just incase you cared to see... ;)

OK, see, it's pictures like that that make me want to run out and shadow my car! Cut it out!! LOL!! IT's supposed to rain this weekend, so this weekend is out, but next weekend, she'll be "blacked out!"

:D

wingman
03-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Mannn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys didn't welcome me like this !!!! I just bought my first Beemer too about 4 weeks ago!!! (Long time Dream too!!) Love the car. Really well maintained!!! Only thing is the bulb that illuminates the on board computer just went out, and also the bulb that illuminates the temp gauge. !!!!
This forum is just great by the way!!!!

Check her out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4607098073&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

You got a nicer welcome than some! Just in case, welcome again:D
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=18534

Erwin8r
03-09-2006, 02:00 PM
You got a nicer welcome than some! Just in case, welcome again:D
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=18534Yeah... I didn't even get a welcome... :D

wingman
03-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Yeah... I didn't even get a welcome... :D

That's because everyone is jealous about your 540/6!!!:D

Zeuk in Oz
03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Welcome.

Nice to see another M20 owner on the forum. Smoothest of engines ! ;)

I would also like to see your car with slightly more subtle wheels - the car looks in good nick though, from the pics !

What is it about white E 34s in Vic ? :p

Qube
03-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Nice! I want your front splitters! :)

Medz
03-10-2006, 08:08 PM
I should get a pretty good trade in on the 18's somewhere, so I'll definitely be doing that and going for some 17's (I think the 18's look sweet, but I'm actually starting at the police academy in a couple of months and with 18's the car is actually unroadworthy I think).

Off the top of my head, without checking the manual, I believe this model came out with 15's originally, which would mean 17 is as big as I can go legally. Can anybody confirm that for me?

Bill R.
03-10-2006, 08:31 PM
so he could be either one

Hi Medz! Great to see another Aussie on here. Particularly one with an M20 525i (Come on guys it's a 1989 you know it's an M20!!!) I agree though that in your sig you should have the year and k's. Just makes it a bit easier to help you out. Fill out your profile brother and tell us more about yourself. Nice car. I hope it brings you much pleasure.

wingman
03-10-2006, 10:18 PM
so he could be either one

I stand corrected! Thanks Bill, we only got the M20 in 1989 in OZ.

Bill R.
03-10-2006, 11:12 PM
The etk doesn't show a country of origin for Aus so i figured they were getting the japanese market model since they are right hand drive. In which case the japanese market had both m50 and m20 in 89

I stand corrected! Thanks Bill, we only got the M20 in 1989 in OZ.

BigKriss
03-11-2006, 01:51 AM
I assume you can keep the 18's, and you have 15x7's to begin with. Maybe it's different in Vic, in NSW though,

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf

Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.

The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.

Wheels that exceed the diameter and width limits for minor wheel changes must be assessed by a signatory. If the signatory finds that the wheels are safe for your vehicle, you will be issued with an engineering certificate.

If they are 18x8's all round that should be okay, if they are 18x9's on the rear , you can get them enginered and thats fine also.

I should get a pretty good trade in on the 18's somewhere, so I'll definitely be doing that and going for some 17's (I think the 18's look sweet, but I'm actually starting at the police academy in a couple of months and with 18's the car is actually unroadworthy I think).

Off the top of my head, without checking the manual, I believe this model came out with 15's originally, which would mean 17 is as big as I can go legally. Can anybody confirm that for me?

Medz
03-11-2006, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll look into that. If I can keep the 18's without it being a problem I'll do that for now, otherwise I'm not too fussed about changing them, it wil still look sweet with 17's.

wingman
03-11-2006, 02:24 AM
I clearly remember the E34 being launched in OZ. There were swags of 525i and the odd 535i. The 535i was a little rarer due to its much higher cost than the 525i (AU$92,000 v AU$71,000 both base prices in manual not incl. on-road costs). The 520i was introduced a little later and I still remember seeing my first one and thinking, "Oh no they've put the 2 litre in it, what a pig!" My love affair with the E34 began in 1988 when I was 20 and poor as a church mouse. It's a well recorded fact that 'mature' people who buy classic cars buy the ones that they lusted after as children.

Iwantae34525i
03-11-2006, 04:25 AM
medz.....I believe in vic its 2 inches max in both width and diameter. So yeah, legally 17's are the max, but you would be rarely checked up on it.

Although..what did the M5 come out with? I know with ea/eb falcons that you can go to 19's because the EB GT caem with 17's standard.