PDA

View Full Version : Valve Noise and Repair update

athflying79
03-08-2006, 04:11 PM
I adjusted my valves about a week ago and haven't driven since..waiting for an alignment appointment. Finally got it done today and she is roadworthy yet again. I noticed that when the car first starts, there was a noticeable improvement in valvetrain noise. After I had driven to the tire place, it seemed louder. I could be going nuts, but does the valvetrain normally get louder as it warms up??

Other than that, it's like a new car. I did all new upper and lower control/thrust arms, swaybar links, tierods, oxygen sensor, intake boot, v-belts, and valve adjustment. It idles much better and handles incredible. No more shimmies or clunking.

Alexlind123
03-08-2006, 05:16 PM
You might have either adjusted them wrong or you didnt tighten the eccentrics enough. just a thought.

JD525IA
03-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Did you get a Sachs kit for the suspension that had all the components in there or did you piece it together yourself based on what you needed?

Lemme know. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Sachs kit and I'd like to know.

As for the valve noise, how did the oil spray bar look? Bolts tight? Oil flow good? Check the excentric bolts again. Recheck the gap one more time.

JD

athflying79
03-08-2006, 06:00 PM
You might have either adjusted them wrong or you didnt tighten the eccentrics enough. just a thought.

I triple checked the clearances and I tightened the eccentrics pretty good. I'm thinking I'm just imagining it, but I'll keep an eye on it. I would rather not pull the valve cover back off.

Did you get a Sachs kit for the suspension that had all the components in there or did you piece it together yourself based on what you needed?

Lemme know. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Sachs kit and I'd like to know.

As for the valve noise, how did the oil spray bar look? Bolts tight? Oil flow good? Check the excentric bolts again. Recheck the gap one more time.

JD

One oil spray bar bolt was pretty loose. I put the new style bolts with a touch of thread locker. Like I said, don't want to re-do it again. Might just wait till my next oil change and then jump in there.

As for the suspension, I didn't get actual struts and springs, just the links for suspension and steering. Upper and Lower control arm, sway bar links, and tie rods. I went against the advice of some and got the ebay kit from FCP Groton. Parts are from Hamburg Technic and Pex (or Dex??). It feels great now, but from some peoples experience I'll be lucky for the bushings to last a year. Now that I've done it once, next year it will be cake and I will spring for the better parts.