PDA

View Full Version : Do I need springs?

jaz525i
03-08-2006, 03:05 PM
93 525i / 131k

I definitely can feel the clunks coming from the shocks from not absorbing the bumps. Ive been reading every thread about springs but Im not looking improve the handling or lower it, just gonna go w/ a stock setup but how do I know if need springs. Im assuming these are the originals.

Thanks

Erwin8r
03-08-2006, 04:10 PM
I bet new shock and strut (inserts) will bring new life to your suspension. And if it is truly all stock down there, you should examine the thrust arms (bushings), sway bar mounts, pitman arms, etc. (search this forum for complete "how to's").

mholbrook
03-08-2006, 06:09 PM
You probably have tired stock components with 131k on them. The stock factory stuff will wear out by then for sure. If you want to stay stock, then get Boge shocks/strut inserts and replace the old stuff. A 3mm spring pad will not cost much and lower the front end a tinsey bit. If you are getting any vibration in the wheel at about 55 then you need new upper control (thrust) arms. Clicking going over speed bumps is usually the sway bar end links. It is cheaper to stay basically stock......but where's the fun in that!