PDA

View Full Version : Koni Sport Shocks on their 540i's existing springs?

Speeder 553
03-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Anyone put Koni Sport Shocks on their 540i's existing springs? I'm considering getting them and installing them on my factory springs (1/4th turn from full soft setting). Anyone drive this set up or has an opinion??

Getting the Koni's installed tomorrow. Having new mounts, fornt and back, installed too. I've already replaced the Thrust Arms (Lendforder w 750il bushings). Can you think of anything else I should have done while it's on the rack??? Eibach or H&R Springs?? My stock springs seem to be in OK shape and the cleareance in the wells is 1.5" fronts and 1.0" rear (stock springs with older Bilsteins). Will the cleareance increase or decrease if I install the new Koni's wiht my old stock springs??

Speeder 553
03-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Anyone put Koni Sport Shocks on their 540i's existing springs? I'm considering getting them and installing them on my factory springs (1/4th turn from full soft setting). Anyone drive this set up or has an opinion??

Getting the Koni's installed tomorrow. Having new mounts, fornt and back, installed too. I've already replaced the Thrust Arms (Lendforder w 750il bushings). Can you think of anything else I should have done while it's on the rack??? Eibach or H&R Springs?? My stock springs seem to be in OK shape and the cleareance in the wells is 1.5" fronts and 1.0" rear (stock springs with older Bilsteins). Will the cleareance increase or decrease if I install the new Koni's wiht my old stock springs??

Perhaps I should just cut down my factory springs? I'm pretty sure it would be okay to cut one complete 360-degree coil from the bottom as this would stiffen the rate up and provide about a 3/4 drop from stock.

Speeder 553
03-08-2006, 02:23 PM

Getting the Koni's installed tomorrow. Having new mounts, fornt and back, installed too. I've already replaced the Thrust Arms (Lendforder w 750il bushings). Can you think of anything else I should have done while it's on the rack??? Eibach or H&R Springs?? My stock springs seem to be in OK shape and the cleareance in the wells is 1.5" fronts and 1.0" rear (stock springs with older Bilsteins). Will the cleareance increase or decrease if I install the new Koni's with my old stock springs??

Talked with the tech at Koni who said "the new Koni Sport shocks will not effect ride height. Only the springs will". So if I keep my OE factory springs with the new Koni's the ride height and cleareance should remain the same.
I hope that is correct because I would not want any more cleareance in my wheel wells as it looks and rides good now. Any thought on this topic???

Tiger
03-08-2006, 06:11 PM
No... not correct. The shock is shorter than stock... by 1" or so. You will compress your spring by that amount too... making less wheel travel... will be rough firm ride and will bottom out much easier.

Just do yourself a favor and get any lowering spring with it rather than paying someone twice to do the same job.

mholbrook
03-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Keep the OE springs, change the 9mm upper spring pad to 3mm for a very modest lowering (about 1/4 inch), and enjoy the Koni's. I ran mine 1/4 turn off full soft for daily use. I'd probably have run them full soft but I wanted to be able to turn them back and forth a bit to be sure they would not freeze up in one position. According to Koni, the main thing about them being adjustable is to compensate for wear over the years. Personally, I love Koni shocks even though I have Bilsteins in this car (PO purchase). Who knows what I'll do down the road but Koni's are the way to go.

Speeder 553
03-08-2006, 10:36 PM
No... not correct. The shock is shorter than stock... by 1" or so. You will compress your spring by that amount too... making less wheel travel... will be rough firm ride and will bottom out much easier.

Just do yourself a favor and get any lowering spring with it rather than paying someone twice to do the same job.

I thought "lowering springs" like H&R, Eibach with the Koni Sports it would lower the front by 1.2" adn rear by 1.0" making less wheel travel, rough ride, etc.??? Man I'm really confused now.

I thought by keeping the OE springs with the Koni Sports it would keep the ride closer to the OE????

Speeder 553
03-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Keep the OE springs, change the 9mm upper spring pad to 3mm for a very modest lowering (about 1/4 inch), and enjoy the Koni's. I ran mine 1/4 turn off full soft for daily use. I'd probably have run them full soft but I wanted to be able to turn them back and forth a bit to be sure they would not freeze up in one position. According to Koni, the main thing about them being adjustable is to compensate for wear over the years. Personally, I love Koni shocks even though I have Bilsteins in this car (PO purchase). Who knows what I'll do down the road but Koni's are the way to go.

Sounds like a great solution. Change both the front and rear upper spring pads to 3mm?

Speeder 553
03-09-2006, 10:30 AM

I've read every post on this forum and others and am considering Eibach Springs (99% sure I'm getting them). I bought Koni Sports and am waiting for my mech to install them. I am debating between staying with my stock springs and changing the stock 9mm upper spring pads to 3mm for a very modest lowering (about 1/4 inch) or buying the Eibach Pro-Kit.

Here is their info:
High Performance Handling
Lower Center of Gravity–Lowers vehicle 1.0"-1.5"
Progressive Spring Design
Excellent Ride Quality
Million Mile Warranty
Part of the Eibach Pro-System

The Eibach Pro-Kit is the perfect answer for most frequently-driven street cars. It’s our legendary spring system that dramatically improves both a vehicle’s performance and appearance.

Pro-Kit lowers your car’s center of gravity, reducing squat during acceleration, body roll in corners and excessive nose-dive under braking. When combined with Plus-1 or Plus-2 wheels and tires, the Eibach Pro-Kit is the finishing touch to a winning recipe for performance. Pro-Kit also reduces excessive
fender-well clearance, making your car look just as hot as it performs.

Every Eibach Pro-Kit is designed and tested by our suspension engineers and performance driving professionals, to deliver aggressive good looks and high performance handling, without ever compromising safety or ride quality. By using our proprietary, progressive spring design, Pro-Kit provides the ultimate balance to take your passion for driving
to a whole new level.

Could be a very good match for the Koni Soprots on the heavier V8 E34???