PDA

View Full Version : Guibo & Vibration Damper

Kobe Diesel
03-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Well I've finally started my project for the week. New exhaust, fuel tank replacement, guibo, center bearing, gearbox fluids. So here is what I find...

The guibo is in bad shape, no problem since I have the spare to put in. But
here is the vibration damper (attached file)

The rubber in between the center piece and the outer band is torn up, for comparison it kind of looks like a sloopy beed of RTV. Will I get away with re-using this? A new one is about $250...I inquired about a week ago whether it is OK to re-install guibo without this. Otherwise, I might take my chances without it.

Your opinions please...

Kobe Diesel
03-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Another photo of the damper showing the rubber that faces the transmission.
Looks fine.

Kobe Diesel
03-07-2006, 11:23 PM
The image for the last reply

JMI
03-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Hey Kobe,
You a MEBA-District 1 Member?

DaCan23
03-08-2006, 02:00 PM
A dampner that is not solid and stiff will cause the crank to wobble and throw crank codes and possibly you'll have engine cut outs.

But I cant say from the pics if that would happen with yours.

A BMW tech once told me the replace very few dampners, but when they do it's because that rubber seal is gone.

Kobe Diesel
03-08-2006, 03:39 PM
I think Im going to try my luck without it. Ive found on R3Vlimite.com that the E30 guys have been doing without the dampers, although it's a different design. I figure if I have problems without it, I can put it back it, that's not a problem.

The pictures didnt come out too good. On side, the rubber looks intact, the other side it looks chewed up. I can push the inner piece in and out by hand axially, but cannot twist it radially.

We'll see.