PDA

View Full Version : To Shadow or not to Shadow...

Erwin8r
03-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Best way to do it? Does the tape they sell on eBay work fine? I might even consider painting, but it seems that it would be difficult to remove the chrome trim pieces without tweaking them. Any pics/thoughts? TIA!

GoldenOne
03-07-2006, 09:42 PM
IMO I would go ahead and shadow, it looks much better, I am going to this on my 525i. I definitely would go with painting it because it produces more satisfying result, especially around those bends...you also dont have to take off the trim piece but mask around it for overspray...

Scott H
03-07-2006, 09:58 PM
re: shadowline = DOOO IT!

Best way to do it? Does the tape they sell on eBay work fine? I might even consider painting, but it seems that it would be difficult to remove the chrome trim pieces without tweaking them. Any pics/thoughts? TIA!

Misha
03-07-2006, 10:08 PM
$100 installed if you are in LosAngeles. I have it profesionally painted and perfectly installed(inner pieces included). I installed it on many E34's. Tape looks very ugly no matter what they say who has a tape.
This is how it looks on my M5.

http://bimmer-motorsports.com/Images/cars/BlackM5/p1010007.jpg

swenpro
03-07-2006, 10:51 PM
I beg to differ. Shadowline tape (glorified electrical tape :-P) works awesome. I've never had anyone (except Scott, haha) ask about the tape on my car (pic below) since the casual observer isn't looking to see whether or not it's tape there. Whichever way you go, do it. I think the black looks much better.

swenpro
03-07-2006, 10:53 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3/swenpro/94_540i_3.jpg

Scott H
03-07-2006, 11:25 PM
I think it looks really good. The only way I could tell is because I knew what to look for....like you said.

I beg to differ. Shadowline tape (glorified electrical tape :-P) works awesome. I've never had anyone (except Scott, haha) ask about the tape on my car (pic below) since the casual observer isn't looking to see whether or not it's tape there. Whichever way you go, do it. I think the black looks much better.

jjw
03-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Tape sucks! I have done tapes way back in the 90s, give couple of years, it will be coming off by itself and faded and will have a hard time to clean the trim after them come off. Now I just took the trim off and paint them.

Dave M
03-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Tape sucks! I have done tapes way back in the 90s, give couple of years, it will be coming off by itself and faded and will have a hard time to clean the trim after them come off. Now I just took the trim off and paint them.

No such problems with the "Trimbrite" product. Its been over two years without peeling. I agreee that painting is superior, but for the $10 the tape costs, I found it too tempting.

Dave M

Kristuphir
03-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Do it Erwin. Remember how it looked on my E30? It's the most badass on black cars like yours. Take a few hours, get some SEM Trim Paint (this is the one to use, trust me) and blue masking tape and newspaper, and go for it. This paint requires very little prep, sticks great, and looks stock. Or pay Misha the $100...that sounds like a good deal for actual replacement of the pieces...

kev535i
03-08-2006, 02:01 AM
i used the tape and excellent results shadowline looks much better than the chrome
http://www.users.bigpond.com/kevinfishing/car1.jpg

Erwin8r
03-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Do it Erwin. Remember how it looked on my E30? It's the most badass on black cars like yours. Take a few hours, get some SEM Trim Paint (this is the one to use, trust me) and blue masking tape and newspaper, and go for it. This paint requires very little prep, sticks great, and looks stock. Or pay Misha the $100...that sounds like a good deal for actual replacement of the pieces...
Thanks, Chris, and the rest. Yeah, that E30 looks good... I am going to do it. Now I need to decide between tape, paint, or handing it off to Misha (I work in downtown Los Angeles). So if I paint, so long as I take my time masking properly, I can spray directly onto the trim without removing? SEM paint, in what type of paint gun? Hmm... BUt then again, $10 for trim tape and a little patience sounds interesting too. Also, was it BavAuto that had the blacked-out kidneys for $40? Thanks again!

Erwin8r
03-08-2006, 12:25 PM
$100 installed if you are in LosAngeles. I have it profesionally painted and perfectly installed(inner pieces included). I installed it on many E34's. Tape looks very ugly no matter what they say who has a tape.
This is how it looks on my M5.

http://bimmer-motorsports.com/Images/cars/BlackM5/p1010007.jpgMisha, why don't we just trade cars and be done with it? :D

Jay 535i
03-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks, Chris, and the rest. Yeah, that E30 looks good... I am going to do it. Now I need to decide between tape, paint, or handing it off to Misha (I work in downtown Los Angeles). So if I paint, so long as I take my time masking properly, I can spray directly onto the trim without removing? SEM paint, in what type of paint gun? Hmm... BUt then again, $10 for trim tape and a little patience sounds interesting too. Also, was it BavAuto that had the blacked-out kidneys for $40? Thanks again!

Post pics when you're done.

I wrestled with the shadowline-or-not issue for a long time and in the end decided that shadowline is preferable on any color E34 except black -- which you and I both have (they're practically twins with the Style 5 rims!). IMHO the chrome is necessary on a black car to keep it from looking like one big black blob. The chrome gives the body some definition and complements the shiny rims.

I could be persuaded to change my mind though if your pics are really hot :)

Erwin8r
03-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Post pics when you're done.

I wrestled with the shadowline-or-not issue for a long time and in the end decided that shadowline is preferable on any color E34 except black -- which you and I both have (they're practically twins with the Style 5 rims!). IMHO the chrome is necessary on a black car to keep it from looking like one big black blob. The chrome gives the body some definition and complements the shiny rims.

I could be persuaded to change my mind though if your pics are really hot :)
Yeah, I used to think so too, but boy do they look mean when they're blacked out! I was even thinking crazy and considering buying a set of Style 5's to powder coat... ;)

BY the way, that's a good looking, tastefully-appointed car you have there... :D

califblue
03-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Where do you buy the tape?

ArtemLepilov
03-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Where do you buy the tape?

Just paaaint it!!!

-Artem

KB535i
03-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Ive used "trimbrite" blackout tape on both of my 535's E34 and have had ZERO trouble with peeling. It IS a little tricky to install(only on back door corners), so be patiant. Heres a shot of my 91 535ia and my Sig pic has shadowline just on the doors.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/bekraig/shadowline.jpg

Phatty5BMW
03-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Ive used "trimbrite" blackout tape on both of my 535's E34 and have had ZERO trouble with peeling. It IS a little tricky to install(only on back door corners), so be patiant. Heres a shot of my 91 535ia and my Sig pic has shadowline just on the doors.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/bekraig/shadowline.jpg

kb your red 535 is sexy man......