PDA

View Full Version : Ford 19# Injectors and 3.5 bar FPR

mholbrook
03-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Sunday I installed the Ford Mustang 19# fuel injectors and a 3.5 bar fuel pressure regulator. I have not put that much mileage on the car nor checked the mileage, but the power and response are improved and the car idles somewhat better than before. In fact, it now idles perfect at a steady 750rpm.

I bought my injectors used from eBay for about $80 shipped. You can get the correct number from www.fiveomotorsport.com or trust this number which I just cut and pasted: Bosch/Ford 0280150556-D5B

The 3.5 bar fuel pressure regulator is from the Porsche 944S and is available at BMA for just over $60. This is also sold at this site: http://www.bahnbrenner.com/acatalog/Fuel_Pressure_Regulators.html

The fuel pressure regulator is about 1/3 the cost of an adjustable FPR and I believe raises the pressure enough without being "crazy".

I thought I'd pass this information along to our listers. Any comments appreciated.

Mike Holbrook
1989 535i manual, Conforti Chip, 19# injectors, 3.5 bar FPR, Koni/Sachs kit, M5 front bar, M5TN rear bar and probably a lot of other little stuff I've already forgotten about!

MikeV
03-18-2004, 12:23 PM
I replaced my FIs with new Ford/Bosch Type-IIIs from Five-O.... I have not (nor will I) flow-tested the old ones, but they were pretty crudded-up.

I recently sent my Toyota injectors to be cleaned & flow balanced, and I'm glad I did. 3 of 4 were fine and within 2% of spec, the fourth was dripping and about 5% under spec. After cleaning - the worst of the four is 0.2% off spec (479 cch at 43 psi, instead of 480 spec). I'm lucky, the 5% under injector was pushing the limit on AFR in one cylinder, that could have ended up costing me my engine.

Moral of the story - if they are clean, keep 'em clean; if they aren't clean or you don't know if the po used any cleaner, either get them cleaned or replace 'em.

mikemaster
03-18-2004, 08:56 PM
Where can I find more info on this mod? I've seen several references to people using these injectors. Has anyone done a writeup or website on it?

winfred
03-18-2004, 09:25 PM
i've got the 556's on my 325 and 535, i got a small improvement in mileage on both, kinda hard to judge performance increases. when i installed them in the 535 i was installing another motor after my head gasket crapped (it was cheeper for me to just grab another motor, and i had a 75k mile motor that had been on the shelf for a few years) and on the 325 i installed a lightly ported intake while i was at it. i've seen no ill effects on running, the 535 took to em like a duck to water, the 325 needed to adapt to the larger injectors, after a day or so it was doing good, the only thing i noticed on the 325 the mpg and range function on the early style obc is screwed up from the shortened injector pulse width, it thinks it gets 29+ mpg in town, my normal loop with plenty of flogging nets 23+, in all i've added about 2-3 mpg to the 325 with all of the mods since i got it 65k miles ago

mholbrook
03-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Regarding the Fuel Pressure Reg.

I think this information regarding the 3.5 bar FPR is new info. The Ford injectors into BMW's and others have been around for a few years. I stumbled across this when I was looking at an eBay auction a week or so ago and it crossed to two numbers for Porsche. Turns out the VW G60 upgrade to FPR is this 3.5 bar Bosch unit which is standard for the Porsche 944S and probably others as well since they only made a few thousand 944S. .5 bar is about 7 pounds additional fuel pressure which probably is just what the doctor ordered. And the price is right.

The injector upgrade is probably not really an upgrade so much as adding a little bit of better efficiency and getting back the response that was there when the car was new.

Mike Holbrook

Jeff N.
03-18-2004, 11:47 PM
For a few more bucks you can buy an adjustable FPR. Units from a Buick Grand National will fit. Lots of aftermarket choices from as low as $99.

BTW, I don't think raising the FP is really the ticket.

Jeff
90 535 w/ajustable FP currently running slightly LOWER FP

gale
03-19-2004, 02:37 PM
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_17.htm