PDA

View Full Version : Check for faulty tq converter

Hypr5
03-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Hey guys,

Can anybody give any advice on checking to see if my torque converter is faulty???

ArtemLepilov
03-07-2006, 03:56 PM
do a stall test. Park the car on a level ground, put the parking break on, put the car in drive and rev the engine. It should stall at around 2000RPM I think - form what I remember form the Bentley. Anyone got more info on that? I dont have a bently nearby.

-Artem

Hypr5
03-07-2006, 04:58 PM
do a stall test. Park the car on a level ground, put the parking break on, put the car in drive and rev the engine. It should stall at around 2000RPM I think - form what I remember form the Bentley. Anyone got more info on that? I dont have a bently nearby.

-Artem
I tried this a while back, but the tires started spinning so I wasn't able to get an accurate reading. Thanks. :)

genphreak
03-07-2006, 05:30 PM
I tried this a while back, but the tires started spinning so I wasn't able to get an accurate reading. Thanks. :)Sounds like a great way to break engine & trans mounts to me. Maybe new its ok, but a 15 year old old car may not take the strain. It might even break a centre bearing and/or guibo ;)

Something might give, perhaps even the tranny, especially if the torque converter is faulty and locks in a weird way (like somewhere beyond 2000rpm, if it can do so)...

Alexlind123
03-07-2006, 05:48 PM

-Artem

Yep, thats what the bently says. If you have the parking brake fully applied and your foot firmly on the brake, spinning tires shouldnt be a problem.

Hypr5
03-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Hah, yeah... the trans was bad at the time I performed the test, I didn't think about the guibo, etc - but it had a minor shake before that anyhow. What's ridiculous is that the car spun the tires. I didn't think a 525 could do that - under any circumstance. lol.

And be nice to her, she's only 11, not 15! haha.

genphreak
03-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Hah, yeah... the trans was bad at the time I performed the test, I didn't think about the guibo, etc - but it had a minor shake before that anyhow. What's ridiculous is that the car spun the tires. I didn't think a 525 could do that - under any circumstance. lol.

And be nice to her, she's only 11, not 15! haha.Awww well I hope she doesn't take offence, my old girl is 17... :D. It'll spin the tires as the front brakes get the majority of the hydraulic pressure. If you had a lot more pressure on the pedal it would have stopped the rears spininng and made the torque converter take full power.

laguner
03-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Bentley also states that you should not do this for more than 10 seconds or serious damage may occur. The stall speed will vary by model.

632 Regal
03-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Brake torques are cool, actually if everything isnt worn out it wont cause any problems. I couldnt even fathom a torqe longer than 5 seconds.

Also if the engine is running shitty it wont come near the stall rpms.