PDA

View Full Version : OT : E30 used car Oz review

Zeuk in Oz
03-06-2006, 11:38 PM
What Aussie media thinks of used E 30s :
http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=11139&vf=7&bg=38&pp=1

wingman
03-06-2006, 11:58 PM
" The odd crack in the dash"... Most that I've seen have major cracking! Prices quoted are on the high scale I thought except for the iS which is holding it's value well. I'd still like one as a track car.:D

GJPinAU
03-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Our little red 318is was discovered with a brand new dash and a recovered interior including headlining, paintwork was blemish free but it handles like a bucket of ****, interior lights work but not with the door switches, the dash light don't dim/brighten, had 17" wheels it now has BBS replica 15s... damn I love it!

shogun
03-07-2006, 12:27 AM
I wish I could export all japanese E30 to AUS and NZ. ;-)
Low Mileage guaranteed.
Average 7,500 km per year is normal here in Japan.

But I have heard that there are restrictions for imports of used cars. What's the age it becomes cheaper? 20 years old cars and RHD? Is there any online info for that.

And many, many E32 750 and E34, oh yeahhhh :p :D

rob101
03-07-2006, 12:46 AM
man you are quick i only saw that this morning myself......... e30? pffffffft why bother when e28s are so plentiful and cheaper.

genphreak
03-07-2006, 01:16 AM
I wish I could export all japanese E30 to AUS and NZ. ;-)
Low Mileage guaranteed... But I have heard that there are restrictions for imports of used cars. What's the age it becomes cheaper? 20 years old cars and RHD? Is there any online info for that.Erich, AFAIK 17 is the minimum age unless you go for low-volume compliance which they are making pretty hard.

The "15 Year Rule" allows vehicles older than 15 years to be imported to Australia without restriction. Unfortunately the changes to this rule on 12th May 2005 locked this at December 1988 or 1 January 1989 (I don't know which) and older vehicles only, meaning that we now have a 17 year rule, which will over time become a 30 year rule before the 1988 cut-off starts moving forward again.

So definately only vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 1989, may be imported without restriction, ie. no more 1989+ models.

IMPORT RULES
The following is a guide for importing vehicles as the Australian government only allows vehicles to be imported if it falls under one of the following categories.

PERSONAL IMPORT
If you currently live overseas and have had a vehicle registered in your own name for a continuous period of more than the last 12 months, then you are eligible to import your vehicle to Australia when you return to Australia, or become an Australian Citizen.
15 YEAR OLD VEHICLE
If a vehicles manufacture date is more than 15 years ago, then that vehicle can be imported to Australia without limitation, or restriction.
MOTOR-SPORT
Motor vehicles can be imported for Motor-sport competition. The vehicle can never be registered for non-motor-sport purposes.
WRECKING
Vehicles may be imported for wrecking purposes. It is a condition that the vehicle arrives with the body in more than one piece and can never be registered for road use.
LOW VOLUME COMPLIANCE
Vehicle importation is conditional to it being complied to Australian Design Rules (ADR) immediately it arrives in Australia by a Compliance Plate Holder (CPA). To become a CPA a company must provide evidence to the Federal Office of Road Safety (FORS) that the vehicle meets each ADR. Where the vehicle does not comply with an ADR, the CPA Holder must show how they intend to overcome it, with the use of engineers plans for modifications, or alternative parts etc. This process can take up to 2 years to complete, and only then can that CPA holder comply up to only 25 vehicles per year.

The vehicle must also meet certain criteria at the time of the CPA Application, such as:-
it must not be available in Australia from the manufacturer,
the vehicle must be considerably different to that offered by the manufacturer,
if it is a passanger vehicle, it must not have 4 doors if newer than 1995:) Nick

rob101
03-07-2006, 01:21 AM
hey shogun what are some good websites for online used car classifieds for japan and of course its okay if they are in Japanese I learnt a bit when i was in high school and should be okay to navigate around.

shogun
03-07-2006, 01:31 AM
sorry, double posting

shogun
03-07-2006, 01:37 AM
o.k., my best horse in the stable: 11/88 built, first registration 12/1989. 1st owner kept it till mid 1994, since then owned by me. 750iL Dolphin silver grey, black leather seats, all electric stuff as the iL has
Guaranteed only 129.000 km,
Known problem: 1 low pressure return hose for Pentosin lets abt max 5 drops out per day at the hose clamp at the reservoir till this Saturday :D

Engine completely dry, upper and lower oil pan renewed some months ago, trans front and rear seal done some months ago.
Radiator 3 months old. All coolant hoses replaced recently.
Car regularly serviced by the owner himself.

Additonal spare parts till the trunk is full can be added. :)

HOW MUCH ex Tokyo port :D
http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/Tokio640/tokiogall.htm

Just to get an idea how much that would fetch.

@Rob101:
http://www.carsensor.net/cgi-bin/CS/CSFBU170.cgi?STID=CSIF1&TRCD=TRCSHPL5&CMDCD=211020C&SHOP=217696001W
http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/carsensor

Paul in NZ
03-07-2006, 04:10 AM
NZ has some relatively new"frontal impact regulations which means no e34 or e 30 can be imported into NZ,unless over 20 yrs old,and can then be registered and used as a classic.If you own and use the car overseas for about six months you may have a way around......E32 may fall into same categoryEven the late model airbag e 34s cant be imported anymore

shogun
03-07-2006, 04:30 AM
Bruce from NZ imported last year a 1991 E32 750iL from Japan. He only needs the V12 to build a Trike.
I just got some days ago from him the complete audio set as spare for my old car.
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/144397/

wingman
03-07-2006, 04:55 AM
I'm starting to see the E30 in the hands of 'P' platers and boy racers. I can't fault their taste in cars but to see an E30 in 'doof doof' trim really gets to me. If you're going to tart a car up so it looks like a cheap William St ho why not stick to the venerable Hyundai Excel. That site about BMW nightmares says it all really.

Randell
03-07-2006, 05:30 AM
The "15 Year Rule" allows vehicles older than 15 years to be imported to Australia without restriction. Unfortunately the changes to this rule on 12th May 2005 locked this at December 1988 or 1 January 1989 (I don't know which) and older vehicles only, meaning that we now have a 17 year rule, which will over time become a 30 year rule before the 1988 cut-off starts moving forward again.

GOOD! i'm so sick of these rubbish imports from hong kong.. their electrics go to **** from the humidity, they've all been clocked back to 80000km... i've seen mercs on the way to the wrecker in better nick than these 'low mileage' imports... they are JUNK, and the market is flooded with them... anyone wonder why there are so many E34 525i's on the aussie used car market recently? they just fell into this 15 year rule and they're being imported like there's no tomorrow

before i bought my e34 i was eagerly waiting the arrival of a 190E 2.5-16 from hong kong... thank god i didn't!

not sure about the japanese imports but a friend has a jap import celica GT4 with 125kkm and it's falling to pieces

wingman
03-07-2006, 03:36 PM
GOOD! i'm so sick of these rubbish imports from hong kong.. their electrics go to **** from the humidity, they've all been clocked back to 80000km... i've seen mercs on the way to the wrecker in better nick than these 'low mileage' imports... they are JUNK, and the market is flooded with them... anyone wonder why there are so many E34 525i's on the aussie used car market recently? they just fell into this 15 year rule and they're being imported like there's no tomorrow

not sure about the japanese imports but a friend has a jap import celica GT4 with 125kkm and it's falling to pieces

I personally wouldn't touch a 'grey' import with a stick. If the deal looks too good to be true it usually is. I've heard of some good ones getting through but you have to search hard. Resale value is another issue.

rob101
03-07-2006, 04:19 PM
yeah my friend who got an grey import 525i said "yeah i had a looked at the service history and there were 2 services, all normal" all normal if you are a fool that is, who doesn't know that you should have way more than that for a 50 000 km car. I mean sure its okay NOW, but come 100 000 km its going to be buggered. and he'll be lucky to sell it for $5000 after buying for $11000. But what annoys me even more HE STILL HASN'T CHANGED THE OIL!

It'll be all aboard the Pain train when he tries to sell that car. His folly i guess he has a soft spot for imports