PDA

View Full Version : Just saying hello (newbie waves from sidelines)

trib
03-18-2004, 08:53 AM
Hi all - I've lurked on this board since I bought my first BMW (on Friday, 13th February this year - what a date to buy a gar !!) ... andI finally decided to take the plunge and say hello and thanks for all the informative posts.

I bought my BMW from my boss when he upgraded to an 18 month old 520i. It's a replacement my tired, old, very expensive to run, Jaguar XJ40 - and I just love it. The difference in performance is negligible, comfort is almost as good, runing costs are great, and to top it all off my boss is a real fusser, so everything under the bonnet and all over the car is exactly the way BMW built it. He even gave me the full service history, and receipts for every piece of work done since it was originally purchased in May 1988.

In fact I love it so much I did a chassis number search and came up with the fact that it was actually rolled off the factory line in February 1988 ... so it must be one of the very earliest e34s. By the way, if anyonew didn't know it, there's a vin decoder at http://www.e34.de/vin/index.php - type in the last 7 digits and press enter ... via altavista translation engine I got ...

===============================
VIN decoder for all BMWS of vehicles
from 01/1928 to 01/2003 (inclusive motorcycles and Minis)

Chassis number:
(the last 7 places then Enter)
Data for the chassis numbers. ' 3505493 '
Series: E34
Motor vehicle type: 525i
Type key: HC11
Engine: M20
Body: Sedan
Catalog execution: Europe
Steering element: Left
Transmission: Manually
Production: 02/1988

Amount of filling
for the BJ from 01.02.1988 to 31.08.1990
Engine M20 B25: 4,25 litres oil
Transmissions GET-RISE up 260/5 (manually): 1,25 litres oil
Diff.: 1,70 litres oil
Brake fluid: 1,00 litres
Cooling water with/without climate: 11.00/10.50 litre
================================

Now I have to get off down to the "autoslooperij" (car breakers) to find a couple of front seats. the upholstery on mine is worn out.

Hello again ... see y'all around.

Kevin (Trib)

bahnstormer
03-18-2004, 09:06 AM
where are u from kevin?
is it a stick or auto?

trib
03-18-2004, 09:10 AM
where are u from kevin?
is it a stick or auto?
Hi Bahnstormer - I'm from Den Haag - Netherlands, and its a Manual Gearbox model ... see the spec above from the VIN lookup ... Getriebe: Manuell (Transmission: Manually (heh)) ... But thanks for the tip - I'll update my profile right away :).

Bimmer Nut Ed
03-18-2004, 09:13 AM
The vin decoder mentions "Manual" tranny. Manual tranny = major fun.

Welcome aboard Kevin. You'll love the E34, it truely is a great car that seems to love hard driving, and will last forever.

trib
03-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Welcome aboard Kevin. You'll love the E34, it truely is a great car that seems to love hard driving, and will last forever.
Thanks Ed - I dunno about hard driving - I told my boss that I loved the way the car seemed to come on cam at around 3500 rpm and he said he wouldn't know - he'd never taken it over 3500 since he bought it ... in 1988!! ... On top of which, after hearing me enthuse about how original everything is, he presented me with a little non-return valve which he'd removed when it stopped the windscreen washers working, and said "I'm afraid it's not wholly original - I never replaced this part when I took it off in 1990!!!). That's the kind of owner he's been. Look under the bonnet and everything is still in it's original place, clipped down or held by the original clips .. I love it!

I think for just over $1000 I must have found me a real bargain :)

TheGeak
03-18-2004, 12:33 PM
damn, thats crazy!! Congrats, sounds like you found a real gem!

DueyT
03-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Goed dag, Kevin! Verwelkomen uit Canada.
You will love your E34...a very nice and classic car!

Strachts!
Duey

JR'Z 525
03-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Welcome aboard Trib! Speaking of purchase dates I bought my e34 on April 1st 2001 - April fools day in the US!
JR